Suffering in SoCal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Suffering in SoCal

Any of you SoCal SSers race @ Castaic today?

There's been a lot of talk of pink bikes on here lately, was that guy on the pink bike that whooped my ass one of you guys?

Castaic is a brutal course for a SS. I've not suffered that much on a bike for a long time. If I had any misgivings about giving up my rigid fork to put a suspension fork on there, the braking-bumps on that course clinched it. I need some suspension...

My body was so trashed after the race that my stomach went into revolt. I could force down about two bites of the crappy burger King sandwich we stopped for on the way home, and it couldn't even handle that.

I spewed all over my friend Matt's van about 40 minutes into the drive home.

And I do this **** for fun?!. .

-Trevor

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Congrats on finishing, the course was brutal and the heat was intense but at least you finished. Even without suspenion and that creaky BB of yours your bike made it through, wish I could say the same, Great job!!
    What happened to all the fellow singles out there - TBB finally puts in an Expert singlespeed class and almost no one shows?? Come on guys lets get out and race!!

mtbr member
    I didn't know they had a SS class for expert.Not that I'm anywhere near that catagory,but at least I could ride in a class more similar to myself.
    50 years old racing ss?WTF?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Yeah.... we were there..My wife....1x1girl, was there on her gears...and our ss favorite Hugh was there.. to destroy the sport SS category, sending the local favorite to the 2nd spot and taking 1st. The SEVEN was on full-alert through all 3 laps. Nice Hugh!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Good job! Wow!

I confess, too, even though it was my 2nd race on my SS, it was the toughest sport race I ever did.

After the climb up those switch backs on the 1st lap, I didn't see Hugh again until he took his spot on the podium. 2nd, 3rd and 4th place kept switching back and forth throughout the race. 'MilkMan' made a stunning recovery after flatting moments before the start of the race, loosing his waterbottle cage in the downhill switchbacks and a few other devestating things. He finally caught and passed me on the final decent to capture his glory with a well deserved 2nd place. What a race!

I knew that course was tough, my least favorite of them all, even with gears. But, the people that race are really great people to know. That is what was fun, NOT the race. Everyone suffered in the 92 degree heat. Let's hope Sagebrush next weekend is a little cooler.

There are reports that the Sagebrush course has NEVER been better. That is a GREAT course.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Yeah.... we were there..My wife....1x1girl, was there on her gears...and our ss favorite Hugh was there.. to destroy the sport SS category, sending the local favorite to the 2nd spot and taking 1st. The SEVEN was on full-alert through all 3 laps. Nice Hugh!

Mashers Only!!

Good Times!!!

Man everyone I talked to told me that this race sucked. They hated the trails. Man I can't wait to go back and play ride at this place. The climbs were short and steep but the downhill sections were fast and full of turns and little kicker jumps. I don't know how many other trails are around this area but I'm going to find out.
    I liked the course. The weather was a little hot but not scorching. On my third lap around I was feeling the heat a little. I got passed by a few geeries and said enough of that S#!t. Sucked on to one of their rear wheels for the last third of the race and finished feeling ptrety strong!!
    I just got back from the race track at Willow Springs. I have been wearing 40+ lbs of gear all day. I'm tired and I stink.... See ya...

HUGH

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the help with my feed, it was really a great help and calmed the already frazzled nerves just a bit.