Stylos done croaked...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stylos done croaked...

...no pics yet, but my Stylos gave up the ghost after not even 18 months of life on this Earth. Grinding up a hill and all of a sudden my left leg was free floating just as applied the downstroke...lost my balance and almost high sided down a short ravine. Will be following up with Truvativ shortly. I digress.

So, is there ANY reason not to get the Profile Racing Cranks? Note, weight can't be one of them, I know they're heavy. Primarily focused on BB performance, bearing/seal quality, etc.

Turns out 32x18x29erx240# requires something a wee bit tougher than the Stylos - which seemed soft outta da box.

TIA,

Sean
    Professional Amateur

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    ...no pics yet, but my Stylos gave up the ghost after not even 18 months of life on this Earth. Grinding up a hill and all of a sudden my left leg was free floating just as applied the downstroke...lost my balance and almost high sided down a short ravine. Will be following up with Truvativ shortly. I digress.

So, is there ANY reason not to get the Profile Racing Cranks? Note, weight can't be one of them, I know they're heavy. Primarily focused on BB performance, bearing/seal quality, etc.

Turns out 32x18x29erx240# requires something a wee bit tougher than the Stylos - which seemed soft outta da box.

TIA,

Sean
    Soupy, I toasted some Stylos a few years back too, difference is I was using gears then (shhh, dont tell) and onyl going a buck fifty. I just don't think the Stylo stands up to anything more than xc. The Profiles are sweet but I think its a bit of overkill. Why don't you take a look at some Holzfellers (Truvativ might offer you a cheap upgrade if you send in your Stylos. I use the Holzfellers on my jump bike and they are really great. Way stiff and lighter than the Profiles. I also use RF Turbines on my xc bike and have been nothing but thrilled with those cranks since day one. I actually think they are as stiff (and yet lighter) than the Holzfellers. Still, I think TV will take care of you and you can upgrade for very cheap rather than buck up for some Profiles that probably aren't necessary.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Lazy People Suck

TIA,

Sean
    I have not owned the Profiles, but from what I have read on the boards, the bearing seal quality is not bad, but nothing great. The good thing about them is that the bearings can be replaced rather easily and cheaply, rather than having to buy a whole new BB.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

Witty McWitterson
    Profils may be the shiznit for big boys, but I've never had a problem with my XTR's either. I'd look for a set of 180's there. Some times you can find deals on Ebay.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

anti-metal

TIA,

Sean
    I think them Stylos have cheap molecular element of ferrous inadequacies.

Get ENO cranks…or Profiles.

mtbr member

anti-metal

TIA,

Sean
    I think them Stylos have cheap molecular element of ferrous inadequacies.

Get ENO cranks…or Profiles.

mtbr member

I'm not sure if it is overkill...

...as it scares me to think what might have happened if I was riding somewhere and had lost control due to the crank failure and pitched off into the darkness.

I like the Holzfellers but they ain't available in 180. Is it just me, or does anyone else find it ironic that the big mfrs only make 180s available in their lightest designs (Stylo, Turbine, etc.)? I mean, who is going to be running 180? That's right, big/tall fellas and SSers.

FWIW, I've grown accustomed to the 180s - run Turbines on my dually. I thought about transfering those to the SS but after seeing recent failures on that front (eg LakeRaven) I'm not too hot on that either.

Ergnesto - I feel you on the ENOs - already circled the wagons with Gary on that front. Called Lynette at WI - 180s in stock with the greenie meanie chainwheel. Gnomes stole my retrogrouch hat so until I reclaim it I'm not sure I can pull the trigger on square taper cranks/BBs again. I know, they work fine/better than ISIS. Just trying to be a progressive shopper here.

The thought of stomping gleefully on 4130 cranks gives me a funny, tingly feeling down "there".

Sean
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member

Considered the XTRs

...but aren't replacement parts a beeyatch? Proprietary everything? $? Not that I dislike nice bike stuff but they've always struck me as too specialized. That said, I'd probably buy them if I could find a true deal (not likely).

Sean
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member

yeah

...but aren't replacement parts a beeyatch? Proprietary everything? $? Not that I dislike nice bike stuff but they've always struck me as too specialized. That said, I'd probably buy them if I could find a true deal (not likely).

Sean
    yeah, with proprietary parts you have to stick with. Sort of like only usinggenuine Goodwrench parts or something. Maybe some day an aftermarket will be available for other aftermarkets, like looking at to opposing mirrors and into infinity.

Or pointing a video camera at the TV where the feed's coming from, it's too groovy to explain.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

Sean
    If you are concerned with the XTR, consider the new XT crank. Standard 94mm bolt circle, external bearings. Nice. I just got me a set of these babies in 180mm and threw a 32t Salsa ring on.

Waiting to exhale.

whoa

dude
    I was seriously going to get some stylos SS cranks! good thing I spotted your post.....I am heavyer than you (mostly penile mass) jk... so maybe they would have been worse for me? bros, I am into bling bling items...so what about Next LP's??? light and strong? and sexy? don't think they come in 180 thou....but whats 5mm less gonna hurt? soupboy you really got me thinking bout that damn karate monkey!!!!!!!
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

poser Administrator

re: stylos and the singlespeed love:)/hate :( affair

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    dude
    I was seriously going to get some stylos SS cranks! good thing I spotted your post.....I am heavyer than you (mostly penile mass) jk... so maybe they would have been worse for me? bros, I am into bling bling items...so what about Next LP's??? light and strong? and sexy? don't think they come in 180 thou....but whats 5mm less gonna hurt? soupboy you really got me thinking bout that damn karate monkey!!!!!!!
    So let me tell you about the stylos. First I got some of the stylos square taper 180mm SS cranks in 2001 (?). Within 15 months that tapers had ovalized and were creakin' like the eastcoast during this years brood-X (cicadas). So I called them, told 'em what was going on and they were all" yeah those square tapers were really weak, I'll send you a new pair at cost"
    I was like "yeah but make it the new ISIS thing cause that should be stout." 60 clams later I had some new arms, got a race face BB and hit the trails. Well 15 months later it's Brood-X time again and I am packing the isis interface with teflon tape, the bolts bottom on the spindle and I call truvativ again and they are like "dude, you are too heavy to on the stylos in 180mm on a single speed, how 'bout I set you up on the holzfellers ?"
    me "they come in 180mm?" them " na--ah" me" then how 'bout I find me a new manufacturer?" Them "ahhh"

let me tell ya' if you are over about 5'8 or have a long inseam the 180's will actually make a difference when you are hauling your 32x16 up a steep loose hill, torque galour and power to boot. You loose a little in the spin but that isn't why we are out there really is it?

so the story goes and maybe they are better now but a little under three years and I all 230lbs and my rigid SS have killed two pairs of the stylos. They are sweet cranks and reasonable priced but the one year warranty should have been a dead give away. Raceface offers five on their turbines and I am not sure about shimano but my next cranks will be something with a warranty 'cause us SS are really hard on the ol' cranks.

regards.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Witty McWitterson
    Nonono, I'm not saying the new bullseye copies, I'm sayin' the old octalink version. Like I got. I loves' 'em I do. Nice and stiff. Nice interface w/da BB and such. I can't tell if I'm getting flex out of them. And you know I'm the same size you are.
    Just a regular guy.

Derailleurs owned: 0

180mm Holzfellers

I have some 180 mm Holzfeller cranks, mine were intended for BMX (the chainring is about as far out as a 22T usually is)... so I need to grind some flats to put a 34T 110mm bcd chainring on the right side of the spider. I bought them with 44T from nashbar for $45

C Jones
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Update...

Turns out my particular crankset was of 2001 vintage, despite purchased new at full price in spring 2003 (separate issue). The '01s were made of 6160 Al which was about as tuff as poundcake (pics still forthcoming...need to rewire some shiite at home). My LBS (Erik's in Mpls) laughed when I brought them in receiving a collective "...WTF!???...".

Rob at Truvativ was solid - offered to replace with 175mm Holzfellers for $50. FYI - the current Stylos are made from the same material as the Holzfellers - 7050 Al - allegedly much tuffer shiite. While I would have preferred 180s - I'll give these a shot - at least I picked up 5mm of pedal clearance. Yippee!

Biggest ups go to the fine folks at Crank Bros. My Mallet C spindle was also sacrificed as part of this sordid experiment as I stripped the allen key hole trying to remove the pedal from the remnants of the failed crankarm. I called Crank Bros, they listened to my situation, they asked for my name and address and are sending a new spindle gratis. Let's just say I've got a pedal company for life...

Like the Holzfeller BMX idea - just not willing to deal with the need to grind the spider. Is the spider part of the same forging? If not, and it's held on by a spline, you may be able to swap for a proper 104BCD spider to run a middle ring on the outboard side. That or just run a wider BB spindle - I think that would be easier/safer than removing metal from the forged spider as you're putting a ton on torque on that while SSing.

Sean
    Professional Amateur

Derailleurs owned: 0
    "Is the spider part of the same forging?"

Yes, all 1 piece.

"or just run a wider BB spindle"

I thought about that, but moving the right crank that far out would reduce ground clearance during right turns.

"I think that would be easier/safer than removing metal from the forged spider as you're putting a ton on torque on that while SSing."

The Holzfellers will still be thicker than Stylos at the chainring mounting points after grinding... and there are 5, not only 4 bolts. Grinding will be done by a surgical instrument repairman I've been friends with for 27 years... I'm not worried about this project.

Now I'm worried about 1 of my sets of Stylos... have "STYLO TEAM" on them but doesn't say if they are 6061 or 7050. Nashbar said they were 2003's. I guess I should move them from the DISS to the Clyde cruiser.

C Jones

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

6000 series alloy too soft for cranks

TIA,

Sean
    Stylos and similar budget cranks are 6000 series alloy which is too soft for a reliable crank/spindle interface, hence all the complaints about them wallowing around on the spindles. 7075 is the stuff for cnc'ed crank arms.

mtbr member
    i was considering stylos for my ss but I was steered towards the raceface turbines by my builder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mine did not snap but I was on a ride where a buddys of mine snapped. Ad I weight about 40 lbs more than he does I pulled the trigger on a set of Profiles. Have not thought about them since!