STX cranks chainring ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

STX cranks chainring ?

Does anyone know who makes chainrings to fit an STX crankset? I just finished converting may older Barracuda that I was using the STX RC cranks on and I really like the feel of them but I had to use a Sugino crankset for the conversion due to the ease of using only one chainring. I don't like the feel of the Sugino set, feels softer and more flexy to me. Problem is that there is only one spot to attach chainrings on the STX and it is on the back of the spiders where the smallest chainring usually goes. Are there rings out there that I can get to fit this? Thanks in advance for any help!

- factotum -
    huh?
    my STx cranks have a 5 bolt spider. I just use a 5 bolt chainring. Newer STX cranks had 4 bolt spiders.

Now the problem was to get middle rings that also had a bolt pattern for the granny, because the cranks are made like 2 ring cranks. But since we are talking single chainrings here I don't see your problem.

mtbr member
    Do you know what the size chainring I will need?

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i just ran into this actually. i switched cranks too. They're strange cranks. too difficult to find a single 32-ish chainring that's straight cut and would fit the pattern. They were made with a weird mounting posiiton/sizing.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    i just ran into this actually. i switched cranks too. They're strange cranks. too difficult to find a single 32-ish chainring that's straight cut and would fit the pattern. They were made with a weird mounting posiiton/sizing.
    yup they are a 'weird bird'. I was working on a set of them, needed a new middle ring... ended up getting a whole new crankset.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.. i guess I will stick with the Sugina and save up for some new cranks. At least I know it's not just me now.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by kvojr
    Thanks guys.. i guess I will stick with the Sugina and save up for some new cranks. At least I know it's not just me now.
    It is unfortunate b/c the STX-RC cranks are kinda cool looking.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

- factotum -
    Wow, I didn't have any problems finding a middle chainring. With a 110mm bb you will get a good chainline!

It just uses a 94mm BCD 5 bolts.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Bear
    Wow, I didn't have any problems finding a middle chainring. With a 110mm bb you will get a good chainline!

Quote Originally Posted by giantrider
    Me too, I use STX-RC cranks as well. I'm using a 32 tooth 94mm 5 bolt Surly ring, no problems at all.

Hmmm.... It has been a while, and we were trying to set them up for my wife's geared bike.... But I remember something funny about the spider...

Oh well they are gone now, glad to hear that you guys are running them. They really are cool looking cranks.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

no gears, no tears
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Bear

Me too, I use STX-RC cranks as well. I'm using a 32 tooth 94mm 5 bolt Surly ring, no problems at all.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Chainring size for STX cranks depends on model year. The first year was a bit odd - the large ring had a 95mm BDC instead of 94mm, and it was attached to the middle and granny ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    Chainring size for STX cranks depends on model year. The first year was a bit odd - the large ring had a 95mm BDC instead of 94mm, and it was attached to the middle and granny ring.
    That must be the one I have.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    same here. even my boss(who's been wrenching for 35 years) thought i cut the spider down. the middle/large rings mount to the small ring and that bolt cirlcle is ****ed up.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Combat Wombat

Here is the one I have.....

Quote Originally Posted by kvojr
    That must be the one I have.
    Several years ago, I helped a guy from work put a new crank on his GF. The STX crank he was using had a worn out middle ring and I could not find a replacement. I had the crank in my garage. Tried to find the rings, but I guess I must have tossed them.

Brian

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    yup, that's the one I had.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Check your PM's

mtbr member
    I just bought a 1994ish Parkpre with the same cranks. Was anybody ever able to find a middle chainring (34t) to fit this? Mine is pretty worn and I can't find one anywhere

Members who have read this thread: 5