Stupid idea. Stupid. And yet...- Mtbr.com
    Out there
    Aug 2006

Stupid idea. Stupid. And yet...

I thought I had enough bikes, what with the 29er FS 2x9, 29er SS HT, and 26er 1x9 DH bike.

But I've got this crazy new idea.

SS HT 26er DH bike.

Anyone riding anything remotely similar?

I'm thinking super slack, 6-8" travel (the DH round here is pretty mellow).
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Oh, yeah, I'm also wondering about 29" up front and 26" in the rear.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

aka baycat
    belt drive of course?

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    belt drive of course?
    Oooh, that would get some looks in the lift line.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Get a DJ bike and throw a boxxer on it. Problem solved

I don't know of an 8in DH 29er fork although White Bros makes a 5-6in one. Just stick to 26er, better forks.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    what about a rigid 36er DH bike with spinners and a boombox
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If there is actually some downhill to be done, go for it. But really, for a downhill bike, your 1x9 DH bike is perfectly fine. What's the point of SS when all you're doing is going downhill?

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    I thought I had enough bikes, what with the 29er FS 2x9, 29er SS HT, and 26er 1x9 DH bike.

SS HT 26er DH bike.

So what kind of gears does a rider run on a SS made for going downhill?

Brian

mtbr member
    Idk about a 29er in the front of a dh bike. You might have an extremely slacked out front end.
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Search the Canadian used bike forums for a used Balfa Minuteman - buy one at a fair price ride and smile.

mtbr member
    And I thought after all the economic downturn we would learn to downsize and get what we need instead of what we want. I guess I was wrong.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    An Azonic Steelhead would make a good downhill SS. I had one for a while and really liked it.

mtbr member

Not exactly a DH bike, but...

Similar to what you described. Pike 454 on the front (5.5"), but I've been considering a Talas 36, which would bring it up to just over six inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    And I thought after all the economic downturn we would learn to downsize and get what we need instead of what we want. I guess I was wrong.
    Well, we are in a recession, and according to fundamental economic thought the way to improve our economy is to spend...
    Dont make me tie you down and force you to watch the South Park tackling this issue.

So if you really want to do it, go for it, but why not a belt drive 29" FS singlespeed fixed gear? .
    And it should be Bright Green with Turquoise accents.
    And you should ride it in an all white NOMEX suit with matching helmet (like the Stig).
    THAT would be without question the greatest ride ever. (even all that but hard tail...)
    Last edited by laxman2001; 06-12-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2
    Similar to what you described. Pike 454 on the front (5.5"), but I've been considering a Talas 36, which would bring it up to just over six inches.
    nice bike... what is it?

Self-defeatist
    DMR Exalt.

http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=pro...temid=FRMExalt

Can't say I think it's a worthwhile venture, but to each, his own, I guess. IF I lived in an area with some decent DH and IF all I had was a hardtail, I don't think I'd bother with more than aboot 5" of travel. That way I could ride up and down on the same bike, but I guess that's what XC/AM bikes are for. You're talking about a different beast.

I believe this DMR is intended for the hardtail class of British DH races.

Good luck.

C.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    nice bike... what is it?
    Santa Cruz Chameleon (2005, w/horizontal dropouts).

mtbr member
    Azonic Steelhead, Transiton Vagrant (used if you can find it), Banshee Morphine, Soul Cycles Sluggo (again used they stopped making them). NS Core all make great DH/FR Hardtails

threads about HT downhill machines pop up all the time in the DH/FR forum, i think its a great idea and im in the process of building one up myself, only its not going to be a SS but thats ok i just need to pedal back up around here, if you have lift/shuttle access ss would be great

mtbr member
    May 2004

Dissimilar wheel size DH hardtail SS has definitely been done and done well

Back in 05 when I was over in Ottawa, a good proportion of the riders heading across to the Camp Fortune DH runs in Hull were running SS 46ers (26 in front and 24 in the rear).

I'm guessing that a 69er would work fine, in fact bog down on the lumps a lot less than the 46ers, the downside being less strength in the rear wheel (a 24 inch DH wheel built up to be strong is nigh on bulletproof when it comes to taking abuse).

From memory a lot of the folks were gettign their bikes set up by the guys a www.phatmoosecycles.com

Could be worth dropping them a line and see if they have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    The guys at Phat Moose are rad. Always up for an interesting build, and eager about pretty well any type of bike.

I miss f88
    Let me just reiterate...
    belt drive 69" singlespeed fixed gear. (of course with a dual crown fork just because)
    And it should be Bright Green with Turquoise accents.
    And you should ride it in an all white NOMEX suit with matching helmet (like the Stig).
    THAT would be without question the greatest ride ever.

Now I almost want to do that (but without the fixed gear). And the largest elevation change within 50 miles of here is about 50 feet...
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My DH is a SS HT. Does great on the trails. Was at Seven Springs last weekend and it rode great. 140mm fork. Also used for some urban riding (hence the tires on it in the pic), but is riden DH most of the time. Most of the local trails here are kinda mellow, but have had this at Big Bear, Seven Springs, Snow Shoe, and a local Ski resort that buddy runs the outreach programs during the summer (he lets us shuttle up and ride the slopes when no kids are there). Also has seen some DS races.

Not a stupid idea at all. I can keep up with the duallys with no issues. depends on the rider and the riding style.

PS, no comments on the lever angle. This was just on initial setup, and not dialed it yet.

bike rider
    A buddy of mine rides a Specialized P1 with a Monster T fork on it. It looks weird but it rides pretty damn good. SS, rigid, long travel fork, DONE. Do it!
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    This is what you want:

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for all the responses! Got a line on a Balfa Minuteman for cheap and will report back!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Came with Marzocchi drop-off 140mm, Hayes comp brakes, and a decent pair of DH wheels. Set up SS already, but headset and BB completely dry, seatpost stuck, gnarly paint job, but otherwise mint.

I miss f88
    Came with Marzocchi drop-off 140mm, Hayes comp brakes, and a decent pair of DH wheels. Set up SS already, but headset and BB completely dry, seatpost stuck, gnarly paint job, but otherwise mint.
    So you have to paint it? Might I suggest lime green with turquoise accents?

On the serious side, I've always liked black with bright green accents.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Pics Please!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Pics shortly. In pieces right now with the mother of all stuck seatposts. Have to dissolve what's left in there with sodium hydroxide (lye) I think. I think this bike was left out in the rain for several years. I guess I'm painting it. If so, flat black.

Front hub also knackered but I think it is recoverable. Not sure about the BB, think it's toast but we'll see.

Will be very satisfying to turn this into a real bike again.

I Have Cookies

56t-11t

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    So what kind of gears does a rider run on a SS made for going downhill?

Brian

I think you need a 56t chainring and a 11t cog out back...........
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Here's the frame:

That orange paintjob is going (already have an orange Niner).

The seatpost was totally stuck down. Absolutely bonded to the steel. Tried the hacksaw method, didn't work, so now dissolving it out with sodium hydroxide (200g / l or so, gnarly stuff).

The bottom bracket was toast. The headset is salvageable and the front hub was chewed up but may be okay.
    Last edited by pinkheadedbug; 07-16-2009 at 03:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Not quite a DH SS, but a silly bike just the same!!! It's my Daily commuter. I call it the Frankenbike!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus
    Not quite a DH SS, but a silly bike just the same!!! It's my Daily commuter. I call it the Frankenbike!
    What rotors are those? i like 'em even better than the alligator rotors of those "custom" ones.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Hope gothic rotors, They came on an 'Orange Patriot 7+' freeride bike. Jenson USA have them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

SS HT 26er DH bike.

your idea is not new. in some regions you'll find lotsa riders on such a bike. e.g. w/ a Lyrik up front.

(one example; it converts to single speed if desired, has horiz dropouts)
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    your idea is not new. in some regions you'll find lotsa riders on such a bike. e.g. w/ a Lyrik up front.

(one example; it converts to single speed if desired, has horiz dropouts)
    Yeah, it turns out I'm not insane at all, despite my name. Really looking forward to riding this when it's built up. It's gonna be my play bike.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Now the seatpost is out I stripped the paint, resprayed matt black, reinstalled and rebuilt the headset, put in the new BB, rebuilt the hubs, and put it back together (bar the grips). Unfortunately I ran out of light before I could get it finished! However, it feels like a fun bike.

Someone asked me by PM if it would make a trail bike... at this point I'd say no, except in an emergency. Too slack and too heavy.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Two words:

Evil Imperial.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus
    Looks like something out of a Mad Max movie

mtbr Decade+

What frame is that?

Looks good, PHB.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    It's a Balfa Minuteman. Just getting the final bugs ironed out. Pretty much everything on the bike was toast, but I told myself I wasn't going to spend any more money on this so I've had to rebuild and repair -- slow going. So far I'm out a seatpost and a bottom bracket. It's rideable now at least... will try to take pics later... just need to replace the oil in the fork and should be good to go.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Okay, finally took pix. This is definitely my 'play' bike... came pre-beaten-up.

2005 Balfa Minuteman regular respray
    Marz Dropoff Comp fork @ 130mm
    Hope Comp brakes
    Holzfeller cranks w/ Gusset pedals (needs black pedals URGENTLY)
    DMR ss kit
    PIzazz bars n chain tensioners
    Raceface BB & seatpost
    Alex BH rims on deore hubs w/ High Rollers (tires are shot)
    Some emo saddle

Out there
    Aug 2006
    As for how it rides: answer, like a fricken' tank! It lands to flat with a might WHUMP and you have to look back and check if you made a hole. Has a really nice feel in corners... likes to be cranked right over... and very very easy to manual. Hard to do nose wheelies and stoppies on due to the slack angles I guess.

With the downhill wheels it's a heavy-ass bike, a good 29-30 lbs I imagine.

/edit, also it's set up 32/16 at the moment which feels a bit low for jumping, hard to crank up enough speed. Dunno what anyone else uses.

Members who have read this thread: 0