Stumpjumper EBB creak ... suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stumpjumper EBB creak ... suggestions?

Any suggestions on how to fix a stubborn creaking EBB, specifically on a split shell Stumpjumper? I had neglected BB maintenance for a while, but finally took everything out, completely cleaned and packed with lots of grease, re-assembled. I swear the creak sounds worse now.

I guess I'm just hoping someone out there had a similar ongoing problem and found the 'magic fix'.

Great bike, but I feel like throwing it off a cliff with all the noise it makes.

thanks-

mtbr member
    Even if it sounds like it's coming from the bb, my experience has been that it usually comes from somewhere else. Take out every bolt and grease it. Grease every part that contacts another part. That usually does for me.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian View Post
    Even if it sounds like it's coming from the bb, my experience has been that it usually comes from somewhere else. Take out every bolt and grease it. Grease every part that contacts another part. That usually does for me.
    agree, check seat post and rear skewer for sure.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

mtbr member
    Pedals, saddle and chainring bolts are the usual suspects for me
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had a creak that just wouldn't go away no matter what I did. Turns out my headset had the tiniest bit of play. Pulled it apart regreased it all and retorqued ( this time with a torque wrench) all good now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Remove, clean and grease the removeable derailleur hanger. This fixed my "EBB" creak on my SS Stumpjumper. I also cleaned the chainring and bolts to eliminate a loud creak when pedaling. Or, maybe try wrapping the eccentric with teflon tape before installing it.

Rhino
    The noise on my Stumpy EBB is usually the chain. I put a brand new chain on and it goes away.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Mine has been maintenance-minimal / noise-free, knock on wood.
    As someone else noted, check the chain ring bolts

mtbr member
    Oatey's pipe joint compound finally quieted my Niner EBB after trying teflon tape, carbon paste, etc...

You can get it in the plumbing section at Home Depot.

SPP
    Rigid.

Single Speed Junkie
    SPP is on the right track if grease does not do it for you.

Also the pedals can bee a great source for "EBB" noise.

The EBB gets a bad wrap as they are "unique" and most point to them as the source of noise when single speeds start making noise. The drivetrain on most single speeds experiences quite a bit more stress than a geared bike. Not trying to take anything away from a geared rider, but when it comes to climbing the single speed has all but one option the geared rider drops it in low.

If it is the EBB and the plumbers tape method does nothing for you start by going thru the bike using anti-seize silver paste on all threaded interfaces that do not require thread lock. Hit up the auto parts store for a small tube for $6-8 over the bike shops $20+ price. When going thru the bike there are two schools of thought. One is to tear it all down hitting every bolt and surface at once. Normally quicker, but down side is you don't learn where the source of the noise was coming from. Second is to do one bolt at a time then ride it seeing if the creak goes away or is reduced. If not then try another interface.

One "EBB" creak not yet mentioned is the head set. When the headset is pressed in some are undersized pressing in very easy which can lead to creaking. Only way to know for sure is to remove the headset and press back in after cleaning and anti-seizing all surfaces. If it presses in with minimal pressure then it might be undersized slightly. One can work with their LBS and CC or CK getting one headset that is slightly over sized.

Best of luck tracking it down. Creaking and pinging can be annoying.

Rhino
    Rhino SS creak solution = headphones.
    Smile and ride.

mtbr member
    All, thanks so much for all of the great suggestions. Over the weekend, I tried chainring bolts, headset, chain, rear wheel, rear dropout, pedals, even looked for frame cracks ... ugh! Still creaking. (this was all done with a freshly regreased/cleaned EBB)

I think i'll try the Oatley's pipe compound next. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the EBB, though I guess you're never sure until you fix it.

Thanks again, i appreciate it.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by grodo View Post
    guess you're never sure until you fix it.

Words of wisdom.

One thing I forgot to mention is that not all greases are created equal. If you standard automotive grease does not quiet it down strip it down cleaning it out and replace with heavy duty marine grease. Hopefully that will do it. If not mix grease with a little antiseize.

Plumbers tape or if you can find sheets of Teflon cutting to size and tension the EBB.

Only two real methods 1) dry with plumbers tape or 2) grease. Both can work well depending upon your specific setup.

Best of luck

mtbr member
    May 2010

CarboGrip

I used CarboGrip on my Niner One9....100% creak free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by banzaibikes View Post
    I used CarboGrip on my Niner One9....100% creak free.
    Might give that a try next ... Oatey's got rid of the creak, but still getting slippage as evidenced by the looser and looser chain.

SPP
    Rigid.

One gear is all you need
    Nov 2009
    Have you tried using the method specialized recommends in their support pdf? I have a 2011 and it started creaking. I started using this on my EBB and have had good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    At which position is the BB sitting in the Eccentric shell? 12 o'clock? 6 o'clock? 3 o'clock? if you get my meaning

nothing to see here
    I have a Carve with a split shell (same system) and there's no way I'd use grease between the insert and the frame. It didn't come with any for starters. Clean the whole set-up and just grease the bottom bracket threads.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I recently tore apart an old Fisher EBB 4 times. It was creaking like crazy and I was SURE it was the EBB. I cleaned and greased the EBB outer and shell, but it didn't help a bit. I just accepted that with the EBB, there was no way to get rid of the noise. Finally in a last ditch effort I bought the right BB tool, removed the cups from the BB, cleaned and greased the threads, and...noise gone!

I'm now a believer in "think it's your EBB? It's not you EBB."

Members who have read this thread: 1