Stumpjumper 1x1 Project: Vacation Runabout- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Stumpjumper 1x1 Project: Vacation Runabout

Sneak preview of my Stumpy 1x1 project / vacation-Yuengling-beer-getter-runabout.

• Stumpjumper Comp frame/fork (circa '92/'93), Tange Prestige steel
    • Nitto quill stem / Surly Torsion bar, 666mm (uncut), made by Nitto / Lizard Skins Charger grips
    • XTR V-brake levers / Avid Single Digit 7 V-brakes / Tioga Master DL headset (soon to be replaced by Tange Levin headset)
    • Flite saddle / Ritchey WCS seatpost
    • Shimano square-taper crank (XT equivalent? I can't remember the model right now...) / generic no-name 36T SS chainring / Truvativ steel hex chainring bolts / Tange square-taper bottom bracket / Shimano pedals
    • wheels & tires: White ENO eccentric rear hub, black - laced-up to Syncros rim / Shimano LX Parallax front hub, black - laced to Mavic rim / White ENO freewheel / Performance Forte` 1.5 slicky tires

Rides great, very fast around town - perfect for most of my vacation transportation requirements. I still need to maybe come up w/ a front and/or rear rack type set-up, to haul beer and groceries - or just stow all that stuff in backpack or messenger bag, whatever works, I guess...

(*Crap! I can't get the photo sized quite right to post properly. BlackBerry, hrmph! Sorry 'bout that. I'll try to post some better-quality photos in the next few days...)

EL_MATADOR

mtbr member
    pics

Yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by bgfthntr
    pics
    +eleventy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Stumpy pix - FINALLY.

here we go (sorta late posting these - I apologize). basically, I changed-out the Tioga headset for a new Tange Levin headset.

EL_MATADOR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 1x1 Project:  Vacation Runabout-stumpy-cruiser-1-.jpg  

Stumpjumper 1x1 Project:  Vacation Runabout-stumpy-cruiser-2-.jpg  

Stumpjumper 1x1 Project:  Vacation Runabout-stumpy-cruiser-3-.jpg  

Stumpjumper 1x1 Project:  Vacation Runabout-stumpy-cruiser-4-.jpg  

EL_MATADOR

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Very nice! I would switch out the grip for red ones. And get a different seat. But nice nonetheless.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    how much did you spend total on both tires?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Ovaries on the Outside
    I don't know if those old mountain bikes can be beat. If I could get disc brakes on mine, it'd be my mountain bike. Looks great, and I love the white grips.

Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    how much did you spend total on both tires?
    You looking for 26" slicks?

Yo.
    Slow Eddie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Why the ENO hub if it's got semi-horizontal dropouts?

Loose the SPD's and put some big platform pedals on it. This is a vacation bike so you need to pedal it barefoot or at least with flippy-floppies.

Also, you need a rear rack. Enough for a case in a cooler with a 20 lbs bag of ice.

Don't take any of this lightly, this is serious stuff

Kicker of Elves
    I definitely would not change out that saddle. Nice build!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I thought about red grips, but - found some white Charger grips - and, well...they work just fine! seats are such a personal preference kinda thing. Old-school Flite saddles just plain work for me.
    EL_MATADOR

mtbr member
    May 2004

Tires are Performance house-brand: Forte` 1.5's

couldn't really pass 'em up. I stopped in a local Performance shop several months ago, just to grab a multi-tool and a chain; wound-up w/ those tires too - on clearance, for like $9/each. not bad for my purposes and this project build...
    EL_MATADOR

mtbr member
    May 2004

... and if we just ...

yeah, I know - the ENO wheel is from one of my other bikes, so it's really temporary. with semi-horizontal dropouts I should be able to get the right chain tension using regular straight-axle SS hub (whether White, Surly or whatever) and possibly a half-link, depending on my final gear ratio. it's not permanent for this frame, at least the "eccentric" part of the equation. if I keep the wheel on there and I can manage a reasonably good chain tension by switching to non-eccentric, I'll drop the coin and get a conversion kit from White that will basically ditch the "eccentric" hub blocks in favor of straight-axle hub blocks. no big deal, cost is about $50 to $60, per Doug White (spoke w/ him about 3 weeks ago, for this very reason).
    and for the SPD's - yeup, those will be gone for vacation purposes too. in fact, I've got some Animal 'Hamilton' BMX platform pedals on order now - in "clear black". those should get the job done in siSSy-flopSS, no doubt.
    the rear rack, yeup - I agree w/ that too. any recommendations for a particular brand/manufacturer? I plan on hauling some serious quantity of Yuengling to and from Chu's, the local mini-mart (well stocked w/ important stuff - like the afore-mentioned beer).
    if the vacation brew is consumed properly, ice becomes nearly unnecessary...
    EL_MATADOR

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I don't know if those old mountain bikes can be beat. If I could get disc brakes on mine, it'd be my mountain bike. Looks great, and I love the white grips.

You looking for 26" slicks?
    yes i am, those are Forte slicks which are pretty cheap, do you know of any cheaper ones?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    yes i am, those are Forte slicks which are pretty cheap, do you know of any cheaper ones?
    Nope- and I don't really want to hijack a thread on slicks.... Does the OP like the Forte slicks? I think you should wait to land some fatty hookworms, especially if you are cruising about.

I have Michelin's Country Rocks on my Rockhopper and they, well, rock, cause they are somewhat offroad capable and roll fast.

Great build- prettier than mine, but mine is my workhorse and carries beer home from the grocery store.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper 1x1 Project:  Vacation Runabout-dsc_0142.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This brings tears to my eyes, because a long time ago I had a bike just like this and I ended up tossing it away. I should have kept it.

Yours looks very nice. I love the paint scheme.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i hope it wasn't an '81 Stumpy that you threw away

Members who have read this thread: 0