STS tensioner issue- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

STS tensioner issue

First convrted using a magic gear, but...the chain was too tight for my liking.
    Decided to put a tensioner on, my gearing is 40 / 21 but the issue I have now is even on max I cannot tension the chain up enough now with a extra link in, so I removed the one bolt of the tensioner to enable me to push the tensioner further down to tension the chain. It works, but...after a couple of rides the tensioner shifter a little up. It's only being held by one bolt now and the chain is pushing againts it up the whole time. Anyone have a idea how I can fix it? Without changing my gearing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I had a similar issue with the STS tensioner. To be able to use it in the push up mode I had to adjust my gearing slightly. I think I ended up going one tooth bigger on the front.

Other option is use a half link. I tried this as well but didn't really like using it as the half link I had didn't fit well with my chain.

Having said all that, I really liked the tensioner once I got it dialed in. Never gave me any issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What nomad9 said, either change your gearing, or add a half link.

The only issue is, if you had a half link using the proper parts, it won't fit in the groove of the STS' roller, so you either have to modify the roller (pretty easy to do), or add a new roller with a wider groove.

Members who have read this thread: 0