strong opinions on IRO rob roy vs. On-One Illpompino- Mtbr.com
    stop...safety first

strong opinions on IRO rob roy vs. On-One Illpompino

Anyone have experience with either of these bikes?
    Im waivering between the two fixed cx bikes. the on-one is $250 more but I can't tell if that is due to better parts/frame or simply a weak dollar since the on-one is from the UK

both have flip flop hubs,rack and fender mounts and similar geometry......

Im partial to the on-one but I can do alot with the 250 I'll save on the IRO

???????????????

mtbr member
    I had an Ill Pompino for awhile. Fun bike for sure. Quality seems a bit above a Surly. I wish I wouldn't have sold mine.

blame me for missed rides
    your 3rd option is bianchi san jose

mtbr member
    I love my Pompino. My only issues with it have been solved with the new design.

Bike rider.

IRO Rob Roy.

I can't speak for the other frames, but I just built up a Rob Roy for my wife. I bought the frameset, so I don't know about the stock build kit, but from looking at the spec, it seems just fine. The frame and fork are very nice for the price; the dropouts are burly, the welds are nice and clean, and it rides well.

Dirt Rag reviewed the IRO in a recent issue, and it's worth a look if you're seriously considering it. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it for cross riding.

Good luck.

ps - my wife's IRO is a size 52, and with a Brooks boat anchor, along with other basic parts (much like the stock build kit) it weighs in at 23.5 lbs. I'm sure if you wanted, you could get build one up at racing weight.

mtbr member
    I have an Il Pompino and love it. Before I got my Steelman road bike, it was my favorite ride. Although it is my favorite cross bike, aside from my Indy Fab Planet X. My only issue (and it's pretty big) is the toe overlap. I have a small (48 cm?) and because it slopes, it's different than my similarly sized Indy Fab. I have zero overlap on my Indy but a lot on my Pompino. I'd consider racing my Pompino but I could see eating it because of the overlap...

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    I have an IRO Rob Roy built up as a singlespeed with a midge bar. I love mine. Just returned from a ride on it. I bought a frameset and built it up with stuff I already had. The frameset was much nicer than I expected for the price. It's better built and finished than my Karate Monkey. It's an all around excellent handling, fun bike to ride. The frame still has room to spare with 37mm Panracer Pasela tires on it. I think it would fit a 42mm tire, but I haven't tried it.
    bruce boysen

Members who have read this thread: 0