A strong case for riding/owning a multi speed bike...- Mtbr.com
    ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

A strong case for riding/owning a multi speed bike...

I spent the evening tweaking out my Trek 7500 so it would be up for tomorrows's commute which is normally the exclusive domain of my rigid Kuwie SS who will now be getting a well deserved break.

The reason for riding geared?

Two fractured ribs that won't let me stand up on the pedals and put the old hammer down when I need to and hey... I have an image to uphold.
    ^%#^%*&Y()(*)(*&*^%$

I was roughhousing with my boy on Sunday night and at 14, he stands six foot one and curbs out at 230 lbs, and incidentally... rides an SS too.

I think I caught an errant (and accidental) elbow in the ribs and woke up yesterday in a world of pain and although I'm still going to work and tooling around in the shop I am supposed to be taking it easy.

Laughing and coughing are things I am trying to avoid.

Riding a fully rigid multi speed hybrid / cross bike with 700/38 tires is about as easy as it gets methinks and whrn I think of it, I hardly ever pass cars on my Kuwie SS.

The 7500 has come close to becoming an SS on a few occasions but I have resisted that urge to build yet another SS... for now.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Expert Pushing SSer
    Been there. Also things to avoid if possible, breathing hard and sneezing. I broke/cracked a rib prior to a mtb race years ago, I remember suffering the entierty. Heal swiftly.
    Tuff Schist

Out spokin'
    Good luck. I know what you're going through, and it's worse than it might appear to anyone who's never busted a rib or two.

Before I snapped three ribs about 12 years ago, I figgered if there was ever a bone that wouldn't matter much to break, that bone would be a rib. What do ribs do but pretty much just sit there, anyway?

Then I snapped 3 and cracked a 4th in a fall off a cliff (night ride... scraped my handlebar on the rock wall next to me, which pushed me outside & over the edge...). Anyway, I found out what living with busted ribs is like and it is NO PICNIC. The first time I sneezed, I cried. I didn't know it would hurt THAT much!

Best of luck with the healing process as well as riding the gearie. Ain't nuthin' wrong with any bicycle that works, eh.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

ali'i hua
    best of luck with the healing process! at least you're still able to ride some!

For what it's worth, cracking your sternum is just as much fun- the only better part is that 5 years later, it gives me a "pop" doing push-ups or on strenuous SS climbs. it's rather eerie!

conjoinicorned
    he stands six foot one and curbs out at 230 lbs
    LOL

aren't you like 140lbs wet?
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

FMTCD
    Mar 2007
    Bummer, at least your still able to ride. Did you get in any good licks on the kid?
    Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer.

Retro Grouch

Staying with a SS

In two days I'm off to Solvang with two cracked ribs and a torn rotator cup (the result of a nasty crash). Instead of riding my newly rebuilt fixie, I dropped my SS Peugeot to a 42:18; after an 18 years in a row, I'll be cutting this ride short and starting in Santa Maria. Wish me well.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    LOL

aren't you like 140lbs wet?
    I weigh 140 pounds after I've been rolled in mud and had my pockets filled with lead shot.

The boy can't take me on his best day... we were doing pushups the other night with the added weight of my 7 year old daughter on our backs. He managed 3 pushups while I managed 20 before having my 9 year old come for a ride with her sister and then did 10 more. I could have did more if I hadn't already put in a killer day at work and went on a decent ride and figure I had an extra 110-120 pounds on my back.

At work today I had a driver come in and tell me he needed help with a mislabelled "65 pound" package that he and another guy had a hard time lifting it onto the truck...I mentioned that I had a few cracked ribs and might not be able to lift with both hands and he replied by telling me he needed a "real man".

This guy looked like he curbed out at around 190 pounds and I really do weigh 140... most of the guys I work with can't believe that a lightweight like me can toss around things that weigh as much and often more than I do.

Anyways...I got in the back of the truck and with a great deal of care picked up the box from hell by myself, walked it to the back of the truck and then unloaded it onto our shipping scale to see that it actually weighed as much as I do.

What's funny is that I can't roll down the window in my car without wincing, sweeping is a killer, and the coughing and sneezing are a definate no no.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Out spokin'

Yeah, well..............

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
    I weigh 140 pounds after I've been rolled in mud and had my pockets filled with lead shot.

The boy can't take me on his best day...

........I'm so strong I can lift myself right up off the ground.

--Sparty

P.S. That's just cuz the ground is where I so often find myself.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    ........I'm so strong I can lift myself right up off the ground.
    Oh yeah...well when I heave my feet on the ground, the world moves. I go closer to the ceiling.
    Tuff Schist

Members who have read this thread: 0