Strength of Surly SS stainless ring- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Strength of Surly SS stainless ring

So, I am enjoying my ride in the Cameron Park in Waco, TX climbing on my 29er SS and WHACK!!!! In horror I look down and that is what I see. I check the bolts before every ride too!!!! These are steel and supposed to last. My CBs are steel too! The funny part is that I am standing there looking at all these mess and this guy on road ss is passing by and offers his help. And, of course, he is an mtbr member. Thanks!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Did one of the chainring bolts break?

That's puzzling.

mtbr member

Cb

Quote Originally Posted by poff
    So, I am enjoying my ride in the Cameron Park in Waco, TX climbing on my 29er SS and WHACK!!!! In horror I look down and that is what I see. I check the bolts before every ride too!!!! These are steel and supposed to last. My CBs are steel too! The funny part is that I am standing there looking at all these mess and this guy on road ss is passing by and offers his help. And, of course, he is an mtbr member. Thanks!!!!!
    Hard to taco it without popping a chainring bolt first.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Boy do I ever love those four bolt spiders.........

mtbr member
    How many teeth is that? Would you mind asking
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

-> SickLines.com <-
    looks like a bolt loostened from the way it bent. When you checked the bolts, did you have the chainring bolt holder on the back?

mtbr member
    These are steel bolts which I have tightened before the ride. 34t ring. What can I say, possibly two of the bolts broke?

mtbr member
    The chainring bolts could have been weakend from being overtightened and sheared.

mtbr member

4 v. 5

makes me wonder about the strength of a 4 bolt system versus 5. 4 bolts puts one bolt directly across from another. they don't frequently blow up like this, right? but...starfish have 5 arms for a reason.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    makes me wonder about the strength of a 4 bolt system versus 5. 4 bolts puts one bolt directly across from another. they don't frequently blow up like this, right? but...starfish have 5 arms for a reason.
    Agreed. 4-bolt/arm has never seemed like a good idea to me.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    The chainring bolts could have been weakend from being overtightened and sheared.
    I used to regularly pop the heads off of steel chainring bolts on 5 and six arm cranks. Had to replace about one a month.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

dirty hippy mountainbiker

Help?

How did he help? Was his name Neo, and did he convinced you that there was no chainring?

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member

Had a similiar incident

about 3 weeks ago, popped 1 chainbolt going over a log pile (didn't recognize it for what it was at the time) and started to have problems immediately. My chain started to come off in transitions between the going down and starting uphill. Finally, when I saw what was going on, it was too late. I have an egg-shaped Surly 104 x 32T. One other bolt was loose at the time, either it started to loosen up after the first one popped, or it started to loosen due to the issue stated below. The other two bolts were damn tight.

Since Surly's are not in stock, I had to put an aluminum Blackspire on it. I was using SS chainring bolts, but went to full size with a washer. After examination I could see that there was too little engagement between the SS chainring bolts and the crank on the body of the bolts. So it goes.

BTW, having a failure that way is a feature of the Surly. It is now coffee-table art.

Rick
    "Oh, and how dare you accuse me of lying, drinking, getting high" DessertRagged

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Agreed. 4-bolt/arm has never seemed like a good idea to me.
    Gulp! And here I am building up a brand new ss with a 4-bolt XT crank.

I've had no issues at all with my current XT setup and I am often not gentle on the pedals. I'd never heard of this issue before. But those pics and stories are scary and are making me think....

Would a chainring protector ( I've always had one ) help to prevent this? Maybe not if the bolt actually shears, especially on the inside.

Ed E

mtbr member
    I did have chain guide on and bolts were full length.

Quote Originally Posted by poff
    I did have chain guide on and bolts were full length.
    Ok then. Well, since I already have the new crank I won't overtighten, I'll keep an eye out for loose bolts and pray a little.

Thanks -

Ed E

try driving your car less
    must be the bionic implants.
    or busted crankbolts.

just curious: what do you think would have been the outcome with a aluminum chainring?
    Only boring people get bored.

no fat chicks
    so did the people at surly already deny your request for a free chainring
    or are they now going to deny it since you had to go trashing them on the big bad internet
    btw it's good that you showed us three pictures just in case we couldn't tell what happened from the first one
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    so did the people at surly already deny your request for a free chainring
    or are they now going to deny it since you had to go trashing them on the big bad internet
    btw it's good that you showed us three pictures just in case we couldn't tell what happened from the first one
    Yeah, the title might be harsh on Surly but I don't think anyone who read through this thread took away bad feelings about Surly rings. Sheared bolts, 4-arm cranks (maybe?) and over-zealous tightening of said bolts are possible culprits.

I am getting the Surly 4-bolt, 34 tooth ring just like the one pictured above and have no doubts or concerns about doing so. Surly rings are good stuff.

Ed E
    Last edited by edemtbs; 06-26-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Sheared bolts, 4-arm cranks and over-zealous tightening of said bolts are the culprits.
    FWIW...

I have had this same thing happen twice on 5-arm cranks... and I haven't had any issues with my 4-arm cranks... I guess I learned my lesson.

One of those failures had the steel chainring go most of the way through my steel chainstay.

bb

FWIW...

I have had this same thing happen twice on 5-arm cranks... and I haven't had any issues with my 4-arm cranks... I guess I learned my lesson.

One of those failures had the steel chainring go most of the way through my steel chainstay.

bb
    Heh-heh, well I better amend my post then. Like you, I have never had issues with my 4-arm cranks...so far. You just made me feel better about my new one again.

Sorry about your chainstay.

Ed E
    Last edited by edemtbs; 06-26-2006 at 09:16 AM.

Recovering couch patato
    I've folded up a couple alu Shiftmano 32t rings, even without breaking a bolt.

All I can think of, chainline must have been less than perfect to cause it to fail like this?

mtbr member
    I did not contact surly and do not plan to. Moreover, I still think these are our best option out there and I will be getting the replacement soon. I think that chainline was OK.

Spent all weekend wacking my 32t 104 surly into big pine logs, without a bashring (gonna get me one soon). No worries.

I dig trails!
    So I found a pic of the original poster, Poff, prior to his ring bending exercise...

Mr. P

friend of preston
    Jan 2006

well now...

monster quads but no wanger, no thanks
    He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Dr. Samuel Johnson

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by crashomatic
    monster quads but no wanger, no thanks
    LOL!

....those aren't legs!!!!

P

bent surly chainring

I have bent my Surly 32t chainring - twice. Yeah, it is on a 4 bolt XT crank and I was running a chain guard. The bend was not horrible, but enough to derail the chain. Bent it back both times and went on.

As thick as that thing is, I was quite surprised to see that happen.

Members who have read this thread: 1