Street rocket/commuter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Street rocket/commuter?

I'm thinking of building a singlespeed rocket for my all-around street riding/commuting. My only real experience with this type of bike is a road frame SS bike that was geared 42/16 and was pretty fun to ride. The area that I'm in is dead flat, which makes a really lightweight SS seem like a pretty good commuting option. There are lots of used frames availible too, so I think anything is possible.

I don't know very much about SS gearing. I liked the 42/16 alright, but the frame was a bit small for me and it left a little to be desired in the top end, so I figure I could go with something a little closer to a 3.0 gear ratio. What should I do for gearing/hubs etc? I've seen quite a few road SS's running 42/14 and 15 and I've heard of 23/8 BMX setups - both of those put me around 2.8-2.9. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jacob 34:19

Was thinking the same thing

so I just picked up a LeMond Fillmore

http://www.lemondbikes.com/2006_bikes/fillmore.shtml

It comes geared 44/18 which runs about 18 MPH at a cadence of 90 RPM. Pretty nice bike so far but the Shimano FW is just about the worst pile of crap I've ever seen. It does have a flip/flop hub though which is pretty cool. FW on one side, track cog on the other.

I would suggest moving to a larger chainring rather than a smaller FW or cog. The increased chain wrap will make for a stronger drive train and ultimately extend it's life. Besides, finding a FW with less than 15T or 16T could be tough.

Be sure to post a pic of what you come up with.

-Jake

What Would Happen?
    The thing is with ratios is that what they 'feel' like depends on wheel size. 44/16 is a good gear for 24" BMX racing, but on a 700c road wheel it'll probably feel too small.

My personal suggestion is if your area is dead flat and you dont want to do any "offroad use or stunting"; a 44/16 fixed gear road bike. Perfect example included below. Feel free to PM me for further help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That fillmore looks nice, I noticed fisher has a flatbar version called the triton this year. I also noticed the bianchi San Jose - http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_san_jose.html. I'm definetly looking for a freewheel setup, and the San Jose setup 48/17 and maybe a flatbar seems like an awfully good deal. I forgot to mention I'm on a budget.

I'm gonna check the local recycle shop to see what they have in the way of frames cause I'm still interested in building something myself.

What Would Happen?
    Have you tried fixed?

(dont mean to sound like a fixyfreak here)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, and I have nothing against fixed. It's just that I'm looking for something a little more comfortable - no clips, freewheel, riding with in street clothes, etc.

What Would Happen?
    Rockin. Most fun to be had in building your own rig. I've had much success with 44/16 on road wheels, cause you can also get up some hills wit it and its not too low on the flats.

Aerobars and 54/11? Anythings possible...

Jacob 34:19

Do you know the way to San Jose?

Quote Originally Posted by exitor
    That fillmore looks nice, I noticed fisher has a flatbar version called the triton this year. I also noticed the bianchi San Jose - http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_san_jose.html. I'm definetly looking for a freewheel setup, and the San Jose setup 48/17 and maybe a flatbar seems like an awfully good deal. I forgot to mention I'm on a budget.
    I had originally asked my LBS to order the San Jose for me. Looks like a very cool bike. Unfortunately, they had no idea when it might show up and they already had the Fillmore. I have an issue with patience. The SJ is more of a CX bike which would probably make it a bit more versitile. Geometry is slightly more slack and clearance for larger tires. And the faded blue color is dope. Not to mention $500 cheaper. That's a bunch of tacos. Could be an excellent choice.

-Jake

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEtheDOG
    The SJ is more of a CX bike which would probably make it a bit more versitile. Geometry is slightly more slack and clearance for larger tires. And the faded blue color is dope. Not to mention $500 cheaper.
    Ditto that. I looked at a San Jose at LBS and I couldn't find a damn thing to complain about for the money. Maybe the hubs or headset aren't indestructible, but with the money you save, it would be so easy to justify a few upgrades.

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    The Redline 9-2-5 might be up your alley too:

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/925-specs.pdf

34N 118W

yours & mine

hey Spuddy - is that your bike? Clean machine, man! For flatlands, I'd say brakeless fixie as well*. All the kids are running theirs with flat pedals & toe clips too. Here's my recent conversion, originally purchased for $100. 46x16 I believe.

*don't sue me if you die. 'cause that would be scary.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hollywood; 01-05-2006 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just Give'r!
    you guys have some slick rides, love the red fixie, it reminds me of my concorde frame i painted gold. i'll have to post pics soon. In my opinion, it can make sense to go with new/more reliable bikes for road-racing or mountain biking, but street-rockets and commuters are where you can just have fun and mess around with a rad-looking, different kinda bike. keep riding!

OH, BTW: where did you get that rad beach-girl silhouette on the brake mount of your fixie? that thing is SERIOUS!

34N 118W

tail badge

Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    OH, BTW: where did you get that rad beach-girl silhouette on the brake mount of your fixie? that thing is SERIOUS!
    m'girl was a belt buckle in a former life. Some linesman's pliers trimmed her up right quick, snapping off any unwanted metal. 3M two-sided auto molding tape does a fine job of keeping the little lady in her place - behind her man! ( )

French for "Suck"
    What you want is a conversion. Dirt cheap. Like this bad rider:

I'm saving her for when there is less mung on the roads. Rock and roll.

newbie boobie.
    Hey Spuds, what bars are you runnin?
    It ain't easy being human.

Just Give'r!
    nice old trek, aeroplane!! i hope to do something similar with my old concorde frame, still have some conversion work left to do.

French for "Suck"
    Thanks, once the spring rolls around I'll probably replace that seat too... reminds me too much of the backseat of an old yellowcab.

Members who have read this thread: 0