Straightforward SS Crank/BB Upgrade?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Straightforward SS Crank/BB Upgrade?

Also posted in Endurance, Drivetrain...

Hello,

I have an '07 Raleigh XXIX that I will be using for endurance racing. The stock crankset is a Truvativ Firex that chronically self-loosens. BB is a Truvativ GXP in an eccentric setup. I am using this as an opportunity to upgrade the crankset (and BB if necessary).

Please recommend a bombproof, straightforward upgrade that won't cost more than the bike did (~$350). I will be ordering this via a bike shop I race for and would like to keep things as simple as possible - I'd rather not be ordering cranks from one place, BB from another, bash guard from another, spacers... etc. They recommend the Race Face Turbines, which sound decent but come with a reportedly-shoddy BB.

It sounds like a nice, simple Shimano LX/XT with Shimano BB setup would be right for me. However, it sounds like some customization is required to get this working for a SS. I'd like to run a 33T with a bash guard, but I'm ok with 32 or 34 if necessary. Can this be done simply, affordably, and quickly (race on 7/21)?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SSki View Post
    It sounds like a nice, simple Shimano LX/XT with Shimano BB setup would be right for me. However, it sounds like some customization is required to get this working for a SS.
    LX, XT, or SLX work great for singlespeed. The cranks come with a 32 tooth middle ring but since they are 104mm bolt circle you can run any ring you want provided it is 32 tooth or more. Usually the BB is included with the crank.

I run a 36 tooth ring on my SLX crank and really like it a lot.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    LX, XT, or SLX work great for singlespeed. The cranks come with a 32 tooth middle ring but since they are 104mm bolt circle you can run any ring you want provided it is 32 tooth or more. Usually the BB is included with the crank.

I run a 36 tooth ring on my SLX crank and really like it a lot.
    Did you need any kind of spacer kit to maintain the chainline? Replace the big ring with a bash guard?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by SSki View Post
    Did you need any kind of spacer kit to maintain the chainline? Replace the big ring with a bash guard?
    Just what ever BB spacers you would usually use depending on your BB shell dimension (it will tell you in the instructions).

SLX and XT are virtually the same. The big difference is the rings which you'd probably be replacing with a 33t and bashguard any ways,

Great cranks.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Silly question (I'm new to this), but would I be looking for a double or triple crank?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I run ENO+phil wood BB on my main ride and love it. Light, but expensive.

My old bike has 3pc race face evolve XC and I put about 3500 miles on it before having to replace the BB. I think I got the BB for about $40 and the arms slightly used for $25 on ebay. $35 32t blackspire and I was in business.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I went with E.thirteen cranks and have been happy with them. Comes with a BB and tool for installing it.

e.13 XC SSK Crankset w/BB w/o Chainring in Tree Fort Bikes Cranks (cat93)

Sawyer Gnome
    I just went through this (same problem) with my '07 XXIX. I went with White Industries Eno cranks and 34T ring through the eBay seller people here have talked about, and ordered up a 68mm shell 118mm spindle width UN-55 bottom bracket from Amazon Prime. Couldn't be happier! I know people have all sorts of opinions on this, but I haven't noticed any appreciable loss of stiffness going from external to internal bearings. It very well may be there, but I don't feel it. No spacers and the chain line is dead nuts on.
    Last edited by Nuzzy; 07-12-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I run Shimano Deore 2-piece crankset (M592). Love them so far. You really don't need to spend the extra $ for XT (or even SLX). Any shimano crankset will be bomb proof. I still have an older octalink (3-piece) crankset on another bike and it's quite good. I thought about upgrading it, but asked myself "why bother?"

I haven't tried the other brands you mentioned (Truvativ, SRAM, etc...). They are probably just as good as Shimano...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    I run Shimano Deore 2-piece crankset (M592). Love them so far. You really don't need to spend the extra $ for XT (or even SLX). Any shimano crankset will be bomb proof. I still have an older octalink (3-piece) crankset on another bike and it's quite good. I thought about upgrading it, but asked myself "why bother?"

I haven't tried the other brands you mentioned (Truvativ, SRAM, etc...). They are probably just as good as Shimano...
    Thank you for your thoughts.

I ended up going with a set of LX cranks, Shimano BB, and a Salsa 34t ring from Jenson for about $117. Also ordered a BBG bashguard for $18. Should be a decent setup for $135 shipped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi, i see you are using an eccentric bb? can you post a pic of it here? I presume the new bb you have ordered is an external bearing type. I am in the same dilemma here with needing a new bb and crankset for my ss and am considering a deore crankset with external bearing bb. I would be interested to know how you get on with clearance issues regarding the bb cups and the bike frames bb shell.

Members who have read this thread: 0