Stock Truvativ crank or Shimano Saints for my Marlin?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Stock Truvativ crank or Shimano Saints for my Marlin?

OK, here is the newbie question. I have a stock crank setup on my 2011 Trek Marlin SS. I just got a BMX with a Shimano Saint crankset that has a 104bcd pattern and has a 72mm wide external BB. The setup is @ 2 years old and not abused.

Here is the $1.99 Q, should I swap out the stock Truvativ crank and BB for the Saint setup.

I do not know too much about either with regards to strengths, weaknesses, and weight. Enlighten me or give me your suggestions.

Thanks
    Last edited by spistols; 07-02-2012 at 04:13 AM.

mtbr member
    I don't know what your BB shell width is on the Marlin-that would be the only possible issue with a simple swap. Then it depends if the Truvativ ISIS cartridge (guessing not external BB?) can do 68mm and 73mm. Someone else could answer this better

As for should you? The Saints are going to be lighter and have higher bling factor. As for strength of the cranks? I don't know. Saints are strong, but so are most Truvativs in my opinion. I had stock truvativ cranks on a trials bike for years and bashed the crap out of them and only went through the BBs, never bending or tweaking the arms

Which goes to the next point- external BBs more servicable. If you blow out bearings in one cup, you don't have to replace everything. Although it doesn't cost that much to replace either unless you want titanium or something.
    External BBS will theoretically last longer over mileage too.

The 104 bcd is the standard four-bolt crank sizing for single speed mountain bike cranks too so that's not a problem either

Members who have read this thread: 0