Stock RIG cog, what size?- Mtbr.com
    1GEAR
    Dec 2008

Stock RIG cog, what size?

I have an extra 29" rear wheel and I want to toss a cog on it that would be good for crushed gravel trails when the woman wants to go for a few miles, she doesn't do single track and with the stock gearing I run out of pedal too fast. Any suggestions?

And by crushed gravel trails I mean old railroad lines and that sort of thing

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Efff
    I have an extra 29" rear wheel and I want to toss a cog on it that would be good for crushed gravel trails when the woman wants to go for a few miles, she doesn't do single track and with the stock gearing I run out of pedal too fast. Any suggestions?

And by crushed gravel trails I mean old railroad lines and that sort of thing
    2009 Rig is 32T chainring and 18T cog and is too high geared for most trails that I ride...but seemed pretty good street gear for just comfortable cruising. 32:20 is pretty good all around for 29er SS imo.
    Get off the couch and ride!

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    I will try a 20 and a 16 then Thanks
    Last edited by Efff; 07-03-2009 at 05:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A 20 is great for my local trails too, but it sucks for roads or Rails to trails paths. I "dingled" my rig with a 32 x 20 on the inside and a 36 x 16 on the outside. I remove the rear wheel and switch the chain over when I get to the trails. Both gears work well for their intended purpose.

Members who have read this thread: 0