Stock '10 Monocog Pedal clicking... annoying!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Stock '10 Monocog Pedal clicking... annoying!

So yesterday I rode some beginner/intermediate single tracks like usual. Nothing really too technical, just the basic tree roots, a log here and there and some mild elevations changes.

By the end of the trail, I started to hear a faint clicking noise from the right-side bike pedal thats occurs as I put light-medium weight on the pedal to push. It doesn't sound like grinding or anything, just an audible click that I can sometimes feel through my foot.

The bike is a '10 Moncog and only has about 30 miles on it... I can't imagine something already being worn down!

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    first, make sure your pedals are TIGHT on the cranks.

the pedals are just generic loose-ball bearing platforms. do the pedals spin very freely, or do they bind up? chance are that the cone nut inside the pedal has either tightened itself, or come loose. it's tricky to do, but you need to adjust that cone nut inside the pedal to get it to stop.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    first, make sure your pedals are TIGHT on the cranks.

the pedals are just generic loose-ball bearing platforms. do the pedals spin very freely, or do they bind up? chance are that the cone nut inside the pedal has either tightened itself, or come loose. it's tricky to do, but you need to adjust that cone nut inside the pedal to get it to stop.
    I plan to make sure that the pedals are tight on the crank later tonight...

To answer your second question, the pedal spins freely and does not bind at all.

openwound
    Check your chainring bolts, too.

Apr 2007
    If all else fails, take it back to the LBS and let them figure it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byoo79
    To answer your second question, the pedal spins freely and does not bind at all.
    it's very likely that the cone nuts in the pedals have worked themselves loose, or they were not tight enough in the first place, so the pedal body is flopping around the spindle. the shop might just give you some new pedals rather than fiddle around with the cone nuts inside. i suggest that be the first thing you upgrade. if you're not into SPD's, i recommend some grippy platforms with sealed bearings.

I like turtles
    Other potential culprits: chainring bolts, bottom bracket, rear cog lock ring...all things on my 'Cog that came loose after 1 ride and make noise. Just take it back and have the shop tighten everything up!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Members who have read this thread: 0