Still a single speeder.- Mtbr.com
    Robtre

Still a single speeder.

Since 2008 I have been single speeder only, until this summer I bought a whizz-bang full susser, and I like it, but damn if I don't love my single speed bikes. I've been riding with a group of shredders, and I don't think I could keep up on either of my SS bikes so whizz bang has its place in the quiver. Sunday I went out and rode my local trail on my SS, rigid Karate Monkey and I had soooo much fun!!! I keep tinkering with the idea of racing, and if I did I would build up a lightweight rigid single speed bike. My racer friends call me a "hippie" because I love SS bikes. Whatev's, Its not always about shredding for me, ride my bike in the woods, and connect with the trail. SS here tried and true.
    -rides bikes for fun.

jl
    climb
    Unless you think your going to make money, or be sponsored, I would race the Monkey... But again, maybe your independently wealthy...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    I have a geared hardtail, geared fs, and rigid SS. I have the most fun on the ss, so that's what I race

Robtre
    The other SS bike I own is a Canfield N9 with Pike 140mm that I am way faster on. Neither bike is lightweight, I was thinking something like a Specialized Crave SS, which might be 3-4 lbs lighter? Not sure if its worth it.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    I know what you experienced first hand. I have been on SS since '08 as well, then I busted some vertebrae last year. When I was cleared to ride (lightly doc I swear!) I couldn't pull hard on the bars for climbs so I put the trusty Verhauen to 1x10 for about 8 months. I finally had enough and took the dangly bits off and had never been happier. I think its a combination of the suffering, the solid feel and the sense of accomplishment that comes from hammering a SS that makes it better. I am racing SS in 2016-making a return to the state series in addition to some longer stuff. No gears, ever again!!!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Ive got the SS bug in 2000-2001. Been riding racing all sorts of SS stuff since. Mostly all rigid played with a couple geared bikes over the years mostly for recovery purposes. Was on my Jones for the last couple years then my kid started racing NICA amd the Jones wasn't really working out for coaching fast kids. So I got a Salsa Spearfish. Awesome bike and I really like it a lot . Problem is it made me soft and the Jones really started to hurt the wrists. Sooo I built a Salsa Elmariach with a Reba. I really like this bike I havent had a SS with a squishy fork since like 2007. Now all is good a SS I love a SS that's just plain cool "the Jones" and a 1x10 short travel for special purposes . Side note if it wasn't for Oval rings Im not sure I could SS at all .

mtbr member
    Single speed since 2006. Rigid most of that time. At the start of summer I thought it might be nice to have a geared hardtail for some recovery rides. Being 56, I find that more rest makes me stronger. Found a brand new Pivot Les at a smoking deal and built it up 1x10.

Wow! Gears were kind of fun Rode it all of August - November. Got back on the rigid SS and was amazed at how much more responsive my Ti SS was. Man, that thing turns and corners like it's on rails!!

I will always be a single speeder, but there is definitely a place for my Pivot as well!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

EXORCIZE
    Single speed since 2007. Rigid most of the time. Gears and suspension forks don't do much for me. I keep trying to find a "whizz bang full susser" to add to the mix, but can't seem to find the right one.

In 2012 I built up a ti hardtail with a Reba, 1X9. Felt slow. Broke the derailleur off on the 2nd ride, converted to SS, and liked it so much better. But still hardly ride it. Gonna sell it and keep the rigid steel SS.

mtbr member
    I love my Ti SS 29er. It has an amazing ride. My carbon Les rides nice, but no where near the feel of my Ti.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Cif
    mtbr member
    Single speeding since 2011... Bought a kona Honzo this summer (1x10). Absolutely love that bike but can't get rid of the single speed.

Rebuilding it to try make it a monster cross now

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Robtre
    I did the Monstercross thing, super fun!
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Its kinda funny, I had a 150mm travel FS 29er cuz that is what I "thought" I wanted. Picked up a used KM and realized I was having a lot of fun on it. I ditched the big FS bike and picked up a Santa Cruz Tallboy, which I love a lot more than the big bike soo far. Thanks to the KM I have another bike I love.

mtbr member
    I only own two mountain bikes, and both of them are SS (one is actually fixed)... I get called a hipster by my riding buddies all the time, but I don't care. I have ridden full suspension and it just doesn't do anything for me. I prefer one gear that I can mash, and a rigid fork so when I am pulling up over huge rocks I don't have to deal with a 15lb front end and suspension dropout. The funny part is im generally at the front of the pack, and both of my (nice) SS bikes cost less together than guys full sus rigs that i'm riding with.

mtbr member
    For the last month or so I've been ripping around on my pugsley (1x9) with a set of 29+ wheels. Rode my single speed about 2 miles in between, only because my brother was up for Thanksgiving and needed a bike to ride and it was out there, so we swapped for a little bit to let him try the big tires. Don't know if its the shorter offset or what but I could not really deal with the suspension fork anymore after spending so much time on the pugs (that isn't even suspension corrected), so once he went home I put the rigid fork back on. Ended up riding the SS last night cause I had to drop the pugs off at the shop for a makeover, and now that I have the rigid fork on it feels right again.

I was worried I wouldn't have the legs but didn't feel too bad. So I guess I too might still be a single speeder
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Me, I'm built for comfort not speed. But, that said, if I were gonna trade my $ for weight, I think I might keep the KM, get some chinese carbon rims and racing tires and go for the holeshot. Might also drop a franklin on one of those gorgeous OfSpirit/Willits forks. Light, smooth. Get your geo dialed in.

I just kind of have the feeling that maximizing performance on a rigid is a subtle enterprise. Depending on the trail, I'm faster on my steel 69er than my aluminum/carbon 29er; roots just beat me to death on the lighter bike.

Geometry, materials. Tire pressure. Cockpit setup. Getting the right gearing for the right trail. I didn't know any of that stuff when I bought my bike based on weight. I got a loooong way to go before saving a couple pounds of centralized non-rotating mass is gonna make any difference, plus I could accomplish the same thing for less money by eating one less cupcake per day. YMMV. KM is a great bike, it was ahead of its day. Look at those short little chainstays. Yummy steel. mm mm. Chock full o' hippie goodness. You could paint it all psychedelic like Kesey's bus.

Robtre
    MY KM is built to take a beating, certainly not the lightest. 3.0 Knard front tire, 2.4 Ardent rear. Hope Pro II Trials hubset, Flow rims. I like it burly. I am on the -1 cupcake program, and for the first time in 22 years I am under 200lbs and THAT has made a ton of difference in my riding.
    -rides bikes for fun.

psycho cyclo addict
    I ride both single speed and geared bikes... have 3 rigid SS 29er's a the moment (one is being thinned from the herd soon along with my geared FS bike).

I also like to slap a 3.0 Knard on the front when I hit the rockier trails (Chris King, DT Swiss w/ 36 step star ratchets and cheapy Shimano M525 hubs- all work about the same). My stout gearing + mashing crushes POE hype to some extent I reckon
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    Depending on the trail, I'm faster on my steel 69er than my aluminum/carbon 29er; roots just beat me to death on the lighter bike.
    A top SS racer in my state had two bikes built up the same: Niner Sir9 (for riding) and Niner One9 (for racing). He found he was faster on the steel bike because it beat him up less.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    Yummy steel. mm mm. Chock full o' hippie goodness. You could paint it all psychedelic like Kesey's bus.
    Heck, yeah. Guys on $8K carbon bikes can call us hippies, but if it wasn't for a bunch of acid eating hippies in California riding rigid steel SS rigs down mountains, who knows what the current state of mountain biking would be. This custom Fisher was built by Tom Teesdale for Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead:

Still a single speeder.-weir-bike.jpg

Robtre
    THAT BIKE IS KILLER!!! Anymore pics?
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    I think it's from this thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...ff-947653.html

Perhaps originally posted here.

MOMBAT: 1990 Fisher Bob Weir / Grateful Dead
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    yeah baby yeah!

Just bought a vintage KHS frame off ebay... hmmm... got a friend who's an artist... maybe I'll powder coat that sucker flat white and have her go at it.

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Oh damn MOMBAT is right up the road from me.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    SS only since 07', I did demo a Stumpy 6 Fattie last weekend and had a blast. That thing is a monster truck.
    I won't be buying one but I could see myself renting one 4-5 times a year for kicks and giggles.

On another note, I broke down and bought a squishy fork this week. My wrists are starting to give me trouble in the So Utah rocky chop.

Downcountry AF
    good stories here!

my SS Kona Unit is my favorite thing to ride. it's not the fastest, the most capable, or the most versatile, but damn i love that thing. it's the cheapest by a long shot, and the most fun. just upgraded to a carbon fork and love it even more.

the simplicity, the connection to the trail, the joy of HAMMERING uphills. i still can't get enough. I'm going to have a rigid SS 29er for a long time, and if i could only have one bike, i don't think i could part with it.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.