STIL but not as steep as it feels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

STIL but not as steep as it feels

The other thread about climbing got me wondering about the limits for climbing. When I checked my bike the down tube had an angle of 48 degrees. That means when the bike is put on a slope of 42 degrees the down tube is vertical (90 degrees) and is a plumb line right to the BB. That puts the handlebars on the downhill side of the plumb line. So anyone riding the bike would be forced to be on the down hill side of the plumb line. That creates two problems (1) No way to apply torque to the cranks. (2) The center of gravity is on or behind where the tire meets the dirt. Result: Back flip. The Fargo Street Climb is supposed to be a grade of 33% which is an angle of "only" ~18 degrees. Problem #3, it would take a lot of strength. If anyone climbs just a 25 degree slope - that would be incredible!

In the picture the rider appears to be about as vertical as possible. Guess the slope angle. (pause) Now measure it with a protractor. It's 20 degrees but he'd probably says it felt like 45 degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Recovering Weight Weenie
    That climb is as steep as 50% of the Vision Quest...(at least that's what it feels like)

Out spokin'

You're so right

Amazing how steep a climb can feel on a bike when it might not appear that way visually. I wouldn't even want to ride DOWN anything as steep as 45 degrees (well, maybe if it was a short pitch with a smooth rollout at the bottom...)

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Amazing how steep a climb can feel on a bike when it might not appear that way visually. I wouldn't even want to ride DOWN anything as steep as 45 degrees (well, maybe if it was a short pitch with a smooth rollout at the bottom...)

--Sparty
    Do you ever notice the stuff you would rather climb than ride down. I imagine you TALLER riders with your seats jacked up above your bars 4 inches, really get nervous on steep downhil roll ins. I personnally hate the feeling of going down rooty sections when my butt is above my bars. I'll climb anything, but don't make me go down 'em.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    The Fargo Street Climb is supposed to be a grade of 33% which is an angle of "only" ~18 degrees.

In the picture the rider appears to be about as vertical as possible. Guess the slope angle. (pause) Now measure it with a protractor. It's 20 degrees but he'd probably says it felt like 45 degrees.
    The eyes are playing tricks, I think it's quite correct on 18 degrees, but is it 18 degrees for that particularly steep part of Fargo Street Climb or is the figure for the average gradient of Fargo Street?

I wouldn't be able sustain a 25degree climb, but a 25 degree crest that say rises an additional 4 metre I may if the trail gave a good run up to it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    I don't think the guy in the pic is doing extended climbing in that position. Instead, I think he is about to "lunge" his rear wheel up onto the rock that his front wheel is already on.

IMO anyway...
    Last edited by Juan Speeder; 02-09-2005 at 12:58 PM.