stickel?- Mtbr.com

Thread: stickel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

stickel?

Im wondering about the stiffness of the bb with the platebridge on any of the stickels out there? does anyone have some more pics of the bb area and those plate bridges?also what tubing mixes have these been made with? I like my gunnar but feel its a tad noodly here n there and am looking for something a bit beefier.

mtbr member

ByStickel

I've not noticed any lack of rigidity, but I'm also a bit biased.

Hopefully, Frank Tuesday will reply to this one. He's a big guy and runs his singlespeed, so if there are any issues, he should be able to tell you. He hasn't said anything to me about a lack of stiffness. There aren't many of those out there. Most don't need that much clearance and there are easier ways to get that room on 26" frames. See pic. (There's room there for a 2.7" tire.)

(most bikes are a mix of tubing, depending on the desires of the owner. If they want 853 and 853 has tubes that I believe will work, then that's what is used. Sometimes you have to go to a certain manufacturer because they make THE tube for a particular application.)

Any flex you're getting in your gunnar is probably due more to the seat and down tubes than to your stays.I believe that the gunnars use a 28.6 seat tube and you may be overpowering the stiffness that this tube provides, especially if you're big and strong. It's pretty easy to build the appropriate stiffness in when designing the frame specifically for the rider.

The plate stays I build don't have much unsupported area that could flex. The small section that is unsupported is in line with the forced from the chain, making 'mushy' pedalling pretty unlikely. The triangulated box gussets really stiffen things up. The gusseting is important.

Here are some pics, over in the 29er section:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=81831#post81831

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

minister of chaos
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    Hopefully, Frank Tuesday will reply to this one. He's a big guy and runs his singlespeed, so if there are any issues, he should be able to tell you.

Steve
    Glad to reply, Steve. I have had absolutely no complaints for lack of stiffness in the BB. In fact, the BB is quite stiff under pedalling loads. Just for reference, I'm a bit over 250, 6'3". I have no idea what steel Steve used in my bike. Whatever he used, it was very well chosen for me. I'm pretty sure it is a mix of tubing. The only place I'm getting unwanted flex in my bike is in the wheels. Hopefully, that will be taken care of soon.

Cheers,
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos
    franktuesday.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Frank, do you have an EBB ? If so why did you go with that versus the Soulcraft style swinging rear disc brake tab? Also how long are your chainstays center of BB to center of axle? Im fairly large as well....220ish and am attempting to find something on the firmer side of the yin yang for a singlespeed frame and wondered what your bare frame tipped the scales at?

DFL- have you done any frames with that swinging disc tab ala Soulcraft style? Does the EBB size allow you more flexibility with the stays or plate yoke or can those be done on a normal BB? Im also curious if you would have any recommendations for adding firmness to a Singlespeed without losing suppleness( and wondering if a yoke in the headtube to downtube or top tube would make any sense to remove some of the twisting?)

thanks again for your replys(a few steps closer to figuring this out)

Cyclist

stiffness

I just built a BiStickel and have very few rides on it, so take my words with a grain of salt. I asked Steve to build a very stiff, technical, climbing type frame that must accomodate some large tires. I also use Profile 3 pc cranks which are the stiffest cranks/BB I have ever used. So, I like a good stiff BB area for climbing.

My BB area is very stiff. I detected no flex in that area. The bike rides tight, fast and very responsive.

Good luck in your build.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

minister of chaos
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueturtle
    Frank, do you have an EBB ? If so why did you go with that versus the Soulcraft style swinging rear disc brake tab? Also how long are your chainstays center of BB to center of axle? Im fairly large as well....220ish and am attempting to find something on the firmer side of the yin yang for a singlespeed frame and wondered what your bare frame tipped the scales at?
    I went with the EBB over the other options because in my opinion it is the easiest way to tension the chain when using discs. There are plenty of discussions about this topic on here already, so I'll leave it at that. Depending on where the EBB is set, the stays are between 16.7 and 17.2, which is fantastic for 29" wheels. As for the weight, I never bothered to check. It isn't super light, but it is plenty light for me. I'd guess around 5lbs. Bear in mind that the S&S couplers add extra weight, the EBB adds weight, and the downtube is over 28" long. At that lenght and my weight, the tube has to have some heft to keep the frame stable. If you're thinking of going with Steve, he'll talk to you about your weight, your riding style and what you want from the bike, and choose the tubes accordingly. I'm sure he could have built me a sub 4 lb frame, but I don't think I'd like it near as much.

Cheers,
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos
    franktuesday.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueturtle
    DFL- have you done any frames with that swinging disc tab ala Soulcraft style? Does the EBB size allow you more flexibility with the stays or plate yoke or can those be done on a normal BB? Im also curious if you would have any recommendations for adding firmness to a Singlespeed without losing suppleness( and wondering if a yoke in the headtube to downtube or top tube would make any sense to remove some of the twisting?)

thanks again for your replys(a few steps closer to figuring this out)
    I haven't used the Soulcraft method for disc adjustment. I'll have to look at it again, but the heim joint set-up didn't appeal to me as much as other methods. I have made slotted disc mounts, but they always it more difficult to adjust the chain tension without getting some disc rub. The eccentric BB keeps the rear wheel in the same location, keeping the tire in the widest portion of the yolk. With slotted D/Os, the wheel position changes, and the yolk would have to be longer, allowing a bit more potential flex.

The BB type (EBB or regular) doesn't preclude the use of a yolk. Anything is possible.

There are a couple of things that would give a bit more comfort without compromising lateral stiffness. A taller head tube will open up the front triangle, allowing more vertical compliance. Bent stays will also help to take the edge off.

Then, there's always big tires, Ti seatposts, and suspension saddles. Goofy as it sounds, these go a long way to providing additional comfort.

Members who have read this thread: 0