steelhead ss. what will i need??- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303

    steelhead ss. what will i need??

    im gonna be building up a steelhead ss over spring break and ive got a few q's.

    what will i need in for the drivetrain?

    what are some good cheap components?

    i was thinking about picking up these wheels cause im kinda short on cash. will these work with a ss set up or will i need to get a new hub?

    thanks konabiker
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  2. #2
    Cracker-magnon
    Reputation: gpsser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    im gonna be building up a steelhead ss over spring break and ive got a few q's.

    what will i need in for the drivetrain?

    what are some good cheap components?

    i was thinking about picking up these wheels cause im kinda short on cash. will these work with a ss set up or will i need to get a new hub?

    thanks konabiker
    Those will work fine, I use a set of XT disks. You just need some spacers and a single cog. You can break apart a couple of old cassettes or see if the lbs has spacers. PVC pipe will work as well but I am not sure of the diameter (1 1/4 in i think). Go through the FAQ page in the upper right of the board. Should be able to answer your questions.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

  3. #3
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Those will work fine, I use a set of XT disks. You just need some spacers and a single cog. You can break apart a couple of old cassettes or see if the lbs has spacers. PVC pipe will work as well but I am not sure of the diameter (1 1/4 in i think). Go through the FAQ page in the upper right of the board. Should be able to answer your questions.
    thanks.

    im still kinda confused about what im gonna do up front. my cranks are raceface prodigy dhs with the 2 rings and bashring. what can i do to make these work on a ss setup?
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    29

    Are you talking Steelhead.....

    as in the Sycip variety? You in the St.Louis area?

    Kevin

  5. #5
    Cracker-magnon
    Reputation: gpsser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    thanks.

    im still kinda confused about what im gonna do up front. my cranks are raceface prodigy dhs with the 2 rings and bashring. what can i do to make these work on a ss setup?
    I am assuming that you have a granny and a middle 32 or 34 tooth ring on the front plus the bashring. Just remove the granny, and use the RF crank. You can take the bashguard off if you wish (you'll need shorter chainring bolts) as well but don't have to. When you put the cog on the rear space it so that the chain line is dead straight from your middle chainring on the front to the cog on the back. You may want to go to the LBS and have them get you a Shimano DX cog or a Novatec cog for around $5, for the rear. They have no ramps and taller teeth to keep the chain from jumping off.

    good luck, and have fun.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

  6. #6
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbytracks
    as in the Sycip variety? You in the St.Louis area?

    Kevin
    uhh sycip variety, whats that? and no im in socal.
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  7. #7
    hand me the dice
    Reputation: TryAndStopMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    127

    i think...

    he's talking about an azonic steelhead
    "pain is only a pulse...if you just stop feeling it"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smeets1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbytracks
    as in the Sycip variety? You in the St.Louis area?

    Kevin
    I was thinking the same thing. Are you in STL?
    Aaron

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    29

    uhh...

    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    uhh sycip variety, whats that? and no im in socal.

    I have a friend here whom ownes a bike company by the same name so.... details make the difference.

Similar Threads

  1. 29er SS vs 26er SS - whataya think.....
    By Alta825 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 12:41 PM
  2. should i go ss and HOW?
    By steve0512 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 07:40 PM
  3. Brake Simplicity For SS ?
    By T 3 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 10:57 PM
  4. P2 wants to be a SS...Help!
    By Deez in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 09:42 PM
  5. 24NTOP ~VIDEO~ and RR (SS Xpost)
    By mtbbill in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 08:00 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.