Steelhead or 1x1?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Azonic Steelhead or Surly 1x1

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Steelhead or 1x1?

So, im parting out my azonic full suspension, to build a ss xc bike. I need some opinions.
    Should i build up a azonic steelhead, or a surly 1x1? I have a steelhead set up as my park bike, and i have access to another one cheap.

-im 6'4" so one downside is i would have to run like a 12" seatpost on the steelhead...
    -One downside about the 1x1 is i dont have an option to run gears if i ever wanted too..

So-
    Azonic Steelhead
    or
    Surly 1x1?

Training for vacation
    what about a blowout 09 orange p7 for about the same price. Steel, single speed, geared, 100-140mm fork, lots of other options.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Out of my budget... the 1x1 is on sale for 277 and i can get the steelhead for 180.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    id get the steel head just for the fact that you can run either 26 or 24 inch wheels and the brake bosses adjust to fit which ever wheel. unless you want a 29er , then get the 1x1.

I think the orange p7 has an aggressive frame angle for DH and urban so its not great for XC
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You can run the 1x1 as a 29er? i have seen people run cross tires, but what is that largest mountain tire/wheel that you can run?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am running 700x38 tires with plenty of room left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steelhead or 1x1?-surly-small-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.SBC
    You can run the 1x1 as a 29er? i have seen people run cross tires, but what is that largest mountain tire/wheel that you can run?
    Someone posted one last week with a 2.35 Rampage in the stock front fork. I can't remember what the rear tire was though

Edit: found it on the second page of this forum, titled "29er 1x1". Sorry my copy/paste is broken or I would add the link. The rear was a Specialized Captain 2.0 which sounds deceiving because those Spec 2.0 tires are actually 2.1 in size

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So, I'm hearing more and more great things about the 1x1. So, what size should i get?
    I'm 6'4" with a 34" stand-over to my boys. I just built a bamboo cyclocross with a 22" seat tube and a 23.5 top-tube, and it rides great. so I'm leaning towards the xl. sound like a good idea?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm voting 1X1, but I'm biased.

And I'm going to say probably the XL.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Definitely go with the XL when you have a 34" inseam. Your seatpost won't be a flagpole that way, and because of the longer headtube it will be lots easier to get the bars high enough.

Members who have read this thread: 0