Steel, Ti or Carbon bars?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Steel, Ti or Carbon bars?

Hey Folks--

I posted a similar topic in the 29er forum but didn't get much of value in return.

So...

Running a rigid 29er. SS. Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tire up front with a TUBE. Reynolds steel fork. Also currently running a Salsa aluminum bar with Ergon grips.

My question is: Would steel (Surly Torsion bar) or Ti (Moots) or carbon (probably Salsa) IMPROVE the "smoothness" of the current set up?

I'm leaning toward steel, and then ti. Carbon scares me. Steel is real, and I love steel frames but am not sure if a steel bar would have the same spring and forgiveness to it. Ti is supposedly amazing, but that reputation may be created by the fact that people who spent that much on a bar need to convince themselves that it was worth it.

So...is Ti worth it? That much better than steel?

Whaddya think?

Out spokin'
    Can you even get high quality steel handlebars anywhere?

No plastic parts on my bike in weight bearing positions.

I'd go ti if I couldn't make peace with my aluminum bars.

But if I was looking for true comfort, I'd install a sus fork.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have never heard of steel bars either.

How much money are you looking to spend? If you have the cash go Ti

I am running the black sheep Ti mustache bars and love them but they are spendy!!

You could probably score a used sus fork for the price of the ti bars

Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb
    Hey Folks--

I posted a similar topic in the 29er forum but didn't get much of value in return.

So...

Running a rigid 29er. SS. Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tire up front with a TUBE. Reynolds steel fork. Also currently running a Salsa aluminum bar with Ergon grips.

My question is: Would steel (Surly Torsion bar) or Ti (Moots) or carbon (probably Salsa) IMPROVE the "smoothness" of the current set up?

I'm leaning toward steel, and then ti. Carbon scares me. Steel is real, and I love steel frames but am not sure if a steel bar would have the same spring and forgiveness to it. Ti is supposedly amazing, but that reputation may be created by the fact that people who spent that much on a bar need to convince themselves that it was worth it.

So...is Ti worth it? That much better than steel?

Whaddya think?

mtbr member
    On One Mary bars come in steel now. Here's one:

http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item462.htm

jj

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jj1075
    On One Mary bars come in steel now. Here's one:

http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item462.htm

jj
    Alloy version = 294 grams (10.37 oz)
    Steel version = 594 grams (1.31 lbs)

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member

Surly Torsion bars...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Alloy version = 294 grams (10.37 oz)
    Steel version = 594 grams (1.31 lbs)

--Sparty
    I was thinking about teh surly torsion bars. About 290 grams.

I am trying to steer clear of the sus fork because of the maintenance. I like that my rigid fork doesn;t really need me to do anything to it other than ride it. And maybe clean in every once in awhile.

Keep those ideas coming. maybe a sus fork is the best option? But man...I love the qway the rigid bike rides...and if I can get it a little smoother...then I'm all for it.

mtbr member
    I run a huge Weirwolf front 2.55 LT to smooth things out on the 29er SS. Throw in some Stan's and a carbon fork and I'm never going back to suspension. for bars, I'm going with the Titec J-bar for now....and maybe for good as I've had no problems or qualms with it other than looks. KHS Solo-One frame keeps me in the steel feel.

jj

mtbr member
    all three in one!!!
    Ride & Smile

openwound
    Carbon bars here. Easton lo-rise DH version. I realize that some folks are averse to carbon but I'm not one of them.

Ti bars look like an interesting, but pricey, option. If you can swing it, go on with your bad self...

Low Rep Count
    I ran an Easton C2 flat bar for years and still have them on my XC bike. Currently running an Ebay bar (Merek) flat carbon bar that is holding up really well. Picked up the stem and bars for right around $145. Can't complain. Been on carbon bars for close to 15 years now.

mtbr member
    I've just put Easton Carbon MonkeyLite XC risers on my rigid SS, they're a little bit wider than the Race Face Atlas I had on prior but they take some of the trail vibration away which is nice!

mtbr member
    Welp. Went ahead and ordered the Surly bars. I like the durability factor with steel. And am hoping that the compliance is at least marginally better than the Alu bars I'm running now. Also, I almost went Ti but I just couldn't afford it. it would turn out to be an expensive endeavor if I found out that they really weren't that great. Thanks for the discussion.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    you must have the world's heaviest SS rigid MTB

Dr. Beat
    Jan 2006
    My somwhat late input...Ti is worth every penny. Got 'em on both geared and SS bike. I only wish they would make road Ti handlebars, but I bet that would really be $$$$. I promise you would notice the difference. Good luck and always an opportunity for other future upgrades.

mtbr member
    I trust carbon bars more than any other type. Data backs me up. They have more strength and fatigue resistance. And my LP composite bars have a nice little flex in them that makes them comfier than aluminum would ever be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I trust carbon bars more than any other type. Data backs me up. They have more strength and fatigue resistance. And my LP composite bars have a nice little flex in them that makes them comfier than aluminum would ever be.

LP?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropout33
    LP?
    http://www.lpcomposites.com/handle_dhriser.html

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the Surly Torsion bar and love it. It has quite a bit of sweep. As far as the dampening I haven't compared it to much else but it seems a bit better than the aluminum riser I had before. I also have one of the steel Mary bars and love that too especially the hand position for climbing. I'm not too concerned with the weight as the other bike components are fairly light. Durability is important for me and these things will deliver that.

Members who have read this thread: 0