mtbr member
    Jun 2004

steel ring/cog? Long Travel fork?

I'm riding a coverted bike as a SS, been on it for about 2 months.

My new ring is now showing significant wear and warping due to the unique stresses SS riding puts on it. I'm also hearing some noise in the rear..., i think my salvaged shimano cog is toast too... (32x18)

anyway, I assume there is some alternative, i assume its steel?

I saw CKing makes one, and now I saw Boone makes a Ti option...

what else is available out there?
    ---------------

As an aside, does anyone here ride their SS setup w/ a long travel fork up front? I currently ride a Zoke Xfly w/ 100 mm and I pretty much blew it up from doing too much urban riding w/ drops onto flat concrete. I have a 2nd bike (foes fxr) w/ a Z1 FR SL that I could take the fork from... geometry issues aside, will having that much (130 mm) travel make a significant negative impact in my power transfer?
    Logic says yes, but I know I've seen someone else w/ a SS and similar fork on here somewhere....

any advice is greatly appreciated!

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Not going to go into the fork issue, for me 130mm is too much for the average rider.

You can get Stainless Steel or Aluminum cogs from King. Spot makes Ti cogs and Boone Ti cogs are a work of art and strong but at a higher price. Webcyclery sells the King SS cogs at $25 + shipping, check their Single Speed section, http://www.webcyclery.com/home.php they have King, Spot and Novatech cogs available.

Oops, forgot the ring. Go with the Salsa Al ring, it's strong and cheap.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 10-25-2004 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Surly makes stainless steel chainrings

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Not going to go into the fork issue, for me 130mm is too much for the average rider.

You can get Stainless Steel or Aluminum cogs from King. Spot makes Ti cogs and Boone Ti cogs are a work of art and strong but at a higher price. Webcyclery sells the King SS cogs at $25 + shipping, check their Single Speed section, http://www.webcyclery.com/home.php they have King, Spot and Novatech cogs available.

Oops, forgot the ring. Go with the Salsa Al ring, it's strong and cheap.
    130 is too much due to the bob effect or b/c i don't "need" it?
    I have 2 bad shoulders from playing contact sports so I appreciate anything 100mm and up, even for XC riding. In addition i like to hit up to 4 foot drops on occasion.

thx for the 411 on cogs/rings. i'll look into it some more

mtbr member
    I love BlackSpire chainrings. Webcyclery sells them too. As for cogs, the same thing. I'd recommend either King or Boone however if you look at another thread on this board you'll see that Boone can have quite a wait. On the other hand, you should be able to get a 18t Chris King in stock somewhere.

As for the fork, because single speeding involves so much standing and pumping I think you'll find that most people here either don't like suspension or minimize the amount of suspension they use. In most cases, 130mm is quite a lot, especially from Zokes which are tall anyways. It would probably really mess up your geometry and make it very hard to climb. However, what frame do you have? What is the max travel fork it is rated for? I see why you broke the X-Fly, it wasn't made for that kind of jumping. Have you considered a sturdy Zoke with coil/oil? You could stay at 100mm and get worlds smoother action.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephalopod
    I love BlackSpire chainrings. Webcyclery sells them too. As for cogs, the same thing. I'd recommend either King or Boone however if you look at another thread on this board you'll see that Boone can have quite a wait. On the other hand, you should be able to get a 18t Chris King in stock somewhere.

As for the fork, because single speeding involves so much standing and pumping I think you'll find that most people here either don't like suspension or minimize the amount of suspension they use. In most cases, 130mm is quite a lot, especially from Zokes which are tall anyways. It would probably really mess up your geometry and make it very hard to climb. However, what frame do you have? What is the max travel fork it is rated for? I see why you broke the X-Fly, it wasn't made for that kind of jumping. Have you considered a sturdy Zoke with coil/oil? You could stay at 100mm and get worlds smoother action.
    i current;ly have a blackspire, and its not holding up well enough to warrant me getting more aluminum replacements.
    The frame is a 1998/9 Cannondale F3000 that I stripped down for SS use. It was @ 80 mm stock but I switched to the Xfly 100mm in 2002.
    The frame is trash, i'm just riding it as long as I can until I get a new one (Vicious SS prolly).
    I'm just asking in general re: 130mm, I don't know if I'll resort to that.
    I'm fully aware that the xfly isn't designed to handle the abuse, but when old parts start to go, there's no point in babying them, ya know?

Out spokin'
    Personally, I run a 34t Onza Buzz Saw stainless chainring (which you probably will never find since they've been out of production for about ten years) and Chris King steel cogs. If I were looking for a new ring right now, I'd definitely go with stainless or ti. They're worth the money, IMO.

As for forks, my Vulture is equipped with a Fox Vanilla 125RL and I love it. But two notes regarding this: 1) my frame was designed around a long travel fork and 2) it's equipped with a lockout, which I value a lot whenever I do epic rides that include long climbs. It is really nice having 5" of cush.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb
    anyway, I assume there is some alternative, i assume its steel?

...what else is available out there?
    ---------------

...I know I've seen someone else w/ a SS and similar fork on here somewhere....

any advice is greatly appreciated!
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    130 is too much due to the bob effect or b/c i don't "need" it?
    I have 2 bad shoulders from playing contact sports so I appreciate anything 100mm and up, even for XC riding. In addition i like to hit up to 4 foot drops on occasion.

thx for the 411 on cogs/rings. i'll look into it some more
    The F3000 that you ride was designed for a 80mm headshock fork or a lefty, putting a longer travel fork will totaly screw your geometry. How that frame is holding? That thing is CAAD 4 if not mistaken and I wonder how it keep taking the abuse of 4ft drops.

I didn't recommended a long travel fork because they tend to bob a lot while standing and the front end will be sluggish. I also need a good squishy front end due to CTS but a 100mm fork works great for me. There are plenty of 100mm forks that can be gentle on the body.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 10-25-2004 at 05:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cog/ring info here...

can't help ya with the fork issues, I prefer to ride rigid on my SS albeit with a big soft 3" gazzi.
    BUT
    My experience with rings and cogs is like yours, they wear out too fast. What has worked very well is the Surly SS chainring ~$40 from your LBS and the Novatech/Shimano DX cogs ~$4 at your LBS. I have a steel Chris King Kog (19t) that shark-toothed in just a couple of months. It also doesn't track the chain as well as DX cogs. I've put more than 3000 miles on DX cogs and they barely show any wear.
    Aluminum rings that are made of 7005 or 7015 alloy wear a bit better than others. I tend to slam into logs and stuff so I always ride with a rock ring.

hope this helps,

bike ON
    bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

mtbr member
    i current;ly have a blackspire, and its not holding up well enough to warrant me getting more aluminum replacements.
    The frame is a 1998/9 Cannondale F3000 that I stripped down for SS use. It was @ 80 mm stock but I switched to the Xfly 100mm in 2002.
    The frame is trash, i'm just riding it as long as I can until I get a new one (Vicious SS prolly).
    I'm just asking in general re: 130mm, I don't know if I'll resort to that.
    I'm fully aware that the xfly isn't designed to handle the abuse, but when old parts start to go, there's no point in babying them, ya know?
    Hmmm, well if you're wearing through the Blackspire, I'd definitely go with some of the other steel recommendations. They'll last longer. In terms of the fork, a 130mm Zoke on a cannondale is going to break your head tube off. It is not a matter of if, it is when. That frame just wasn't designed for that kind of stress on the head tube. I understand that you don't care about the frame or damaging it but I would personally be worried about being injuried from a catastrophic failure. That and it'll probably feel pretty choppered out. I"d probably stick to a shorter fork until you get a frame that is designed for one with more travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Damn 130mm I ride a 50mm converted SID.

Shaner

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

As for forks, my Vulture is equipped with a Fox Vanilla 125RL and I love it. But two notes regarding this: 1) my frame was designed around a long travel fork and 2) it's equipped with a lockout, which I value a lot whenever I do epic rides that include long climbs. It is really nice having 5" of cush.

--Sparty
    Im with Sparty here...I use a 130mm Sherman Firefly on mine. Yes, big travel and heavy (relative to most ss fork choices you'll see). For the kind of riding I do, I love it and can't imagine using less. That said, its on a SC Chameleon which is designed to take even a 6" fork if wanted to do it. The Cdale will not survive a 130mm travel up front and my bet is that you'll wind up posting pics on the gnarly crashes gallery. If you want the travel, get a frame that can support it then jump til the cows come home.

FWIW, my Chameleon climbs just fine with the long travel fork and a 50mm stem (can you tell it's setup to dj and ride park?) but throw a 100mm fork w/ lockout and a 80-100mm stem and screams up hills. Might be a frame to think about if you are in the market.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    hmmm... maybe I need a bash guard too(?)

I ride mostly in NJ, sometimes in VT so there are always obstacles but these have yet to add noticable wear. I think its mostly from torque on the pedals deforming the ring teeth.

I should mention that I started working at my LBS in July, my first shop-job so I have access to a lot of stuff.... the problem is that no matter how good I am at wrenching, I don't have the knowledge and experience, so that is why I'm tapping you guys for info, which I might add, is GREATLY appreciated.

(as an aside, does anyone here find the internet as much of a blessing as I do???
    I mean back in the day the circle of riders around you was all you had to feed off of, and now I have a virtual connection to thousands of riders... who are like me, who know more than me, and who want to help. Its truly amazing! I'm no new-comer to the internet or to forums, but I still had to say it
    I'm a former dot-bom(b) web-developer. I got into that work b/c I loved the .net and what I could do on it, it was fresh and new etc. but my real passion is being outdoors so I quit my cushy bling bling city job and now make barely enough to get by... but biking is treating me so well I hardly care.)

Back to the topic, I hear ya about the 'dale and the 130mm... The reducer cups are arlrady protesting audibly, so I know the frame has got to go (headshok->1-1/8")... I'm just playing w/ ideas. the 100mm fork already focks w/ the steering too much, so I don't want to go any higher or climbing will be impossible.

namaSSte, u say u jump your bike? I just started doing that sort of stuff this year... jsut drops, no DJ'ing. Call it a pre-midlife crisis, but I envy all those BMX kids that drop in the shop w/ NO fear in their eyes at all... 1x a week i hop on a bmx bike to try to learn and every time I quit after 5 min b/c of hamburger'd shins. Anyway, w/ 130 mm is your head angle really slack or can you still get somewhat crisp handling? Also, DJ'ing bikes tend to have a lot of standover clearance.... which limits your ability to get into a XC-like position. Do you have any problems like that? perhaps if you have one, u could post a pic of your ride?
    Sounds like u and I are in the same boat, thanks for the response!

mtbr member
    I run a 125mm fork on my Surly 1x1 and have zero issues. The bike actually handles better (IMHO) than it did before. I can rail windy singletrack just as fast as before, just ask my friends. I have less problems with pedal strike and the bike climbs exceptionally well.

I notice no additional bob with the larger travel fork, but it has a plethora of settings to address this purported issue.

This has been MY experience for three years, I am sure others will tell you about different experiences and I would not discount them. However, that being said, try it for yourself (assuming your bike can physically handle the increase). Only YOU will know what works for YOU. The worst case scenario, considering that you already have the fork, is that you may decide it is too much for YOU and switch it to something more inline with YOUR riding style.

Bike handling has more to do with the rider than the bike. I'll bet that most pro riders will attest to this... and for the rest of us... we always have the magazines to tell us what is 'right'.

dd..''

.................................................. .......................
    Last edited by dodjy; 10-27-2004 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    dodjy has a good point. I have slack head angles and even an 85mm Zoke on my Surly drove me insane. However, others like him can ride a 125mm. However, keep in mind that a Surly is worlds more durable than your Cannondale. And if I recall there was a thread a while ago that even some people with Surly 1x1s were having problems with 125mm forks damaging their frames. If Surly's can't take it, I would seriously caution you about your C'dale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephalopod
    However, keep in mind that a Surly is worlds more durable than your Cannondale.
    After reading a few other posts and seeing that you have a Cannondale, I take back what I said about giving it try. Cephalopod is right to point out that Cannondales are not known for their abilities to take extreme abuse (particularly their more XC-oriented models).

On a side note, I believe Surly has stated that although the 1x1 frame geometry was designed around an 80mm travel fork, you can use a 125mm travel fork on these frames without loss of the three year warranty coverage. As for the ride quality, leave that to the rider.

dd..''
    Last edited by dodjy; 10-27-2004 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've been riding for over 10 years... i'm confident that in due time the 'dale will Crack-n-fail but I'm not concerned. It served me well, and I assume all risks involved continuing to ride it how i do. It creaks and groans under my hefty 150 lbs but refuses to quit. I'll make it quit gawdammit! lol, no worries... thanks for the advice guys.

I know the ride is a personal thing. All i want is input, good or bad. I have the luxury of beign able to ride 15 differenty bikes a day if I want and have found that a good rider can ride anything... fast!

mtbr member
    I've been riding for over 10 years... i'm confident that in due time the 'dale will Crack-n-fail but I'm not concerned. It served me well, and I assume all risks involved continuing to ride it how i do. It creaks and groans under my hefty 150 lbs but refuses to quit. I'll make it quit gawdammit! lol, no worries... thanks for the advice guys.

I know the ride is a personal thing. All i want is input, good or bad. I have the luxury of beign able to ride 15 differenty bikes a day if I want and have found that a good rider can ride anything... fast!
    - Cool.

dd..''