Steel rigid forks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Steel rigid forks

Seems like every time I post here is after I have pushed a component past the limit.

I was running a Pace 29er rigid carbon on my SS Rockhopper and loved the feel, weight, and looks of it. All the while in the back of my mind was that I was 10-15 lbs. over the recommended weight restriction.

Finally, on a bouncy root trail I came down in a bar-end and planted the front tire. Arm went under the bar as I tried to go over it and I basically "bulldogged" it down. Broke off the QR nut, bent the axle, and twisted off the magnesium cap on the disc brake side bending the rotor as a result. Carbon held up fine.

I know this could have trashed whatever I had as a fork, but am leery about spending full price for another one of these forks. (got that one for 1/2 price used)

I really like the looks of this type fork, don't care for the Niner. I know I have seen a steel fork that is identical. Anyone know where I can find one?

I think the one I saw was on a frame builders site and had a warning about 29 inch carbon forks with suspension allowance.

I know there are other steel forks, but I like how these look and since I'm not that good of a rider I really want to look good on the trail.

mtbr member
    I think you are asking for a recommendation?

I just got a Salsa Cromoto. I have not completed the build yet so I dont have a ride report. If I like it, I will most likely get their Cromoto with the 15mm TA.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

Did I catch a niner+?
    If you do want carbon Random Bikes in Eagan, MN is selling Mountain Cycle carbon forks for $100 and he has 3 of them last I saw.

As for steel Salsa has by far the best deal and availability on forks. I currently use a Grande Maxle (20mm front end) and love this fork. I also have an enabler fork. If I was going to stick with QR I would go with the Fargo fork instead of the Grande, it has all the Fargo mounts and is the same A to C.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Looks like this

I'm wanting to get a steel fork that looks like the Pace that I twisted the cap off of.

Figure if it's all one piece all I can hurt is the wheel/axle/rotor... maybe

Pace RC29 29er Forks Reviews

Members who have read this thread: 0