Steel frame for a 27.5+ rigid build?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Steel frame for a 27.5+ rigid build?

I'm eyeing the Canfield Nimble 9; love the super short stays and slack HA. The only concern is that it's designed for 140mm suspension fork with 550 A-C and a rigid fork with that A-C does not seem to exist. Of course I could go with a 490 A-C or 500 which is available, but this would lower the already low BB even further, and I have doubts that would work well.

Are there any other steel frames that would be better suited to a rigid SS B+ build?

mtbr member
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Advocate Hayduke
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Surly Karate Monkey [SS]
    /thread

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    all city log lady isnít officially a plus fram but they supposedly have run 27.5x2.8 on it no issues

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    /thread
    Karate Monkey has been out of stock for months

mtbr member
    Soma B-Side

mtbr member
    Kona Unit
    Vassago Jabberwocky?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Iíve been thinking about a rigid fork for my N9. I think I remember seeing someone had one on a N9 thread around here. Canít seem to find the thread though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I guess I should have clarified; I want super short stays and slack HA, too. The All City Fog Lady looks interesting

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightFattie View Post
    Karate Monkey has been out of stock for months
    Karate Monkey frames just came back in stock, Black and Purple. There are only a few left depending on size. You need to move fast if you want one, real fast.

A Karate Monkey was my first thought, but a Kona Honzo ST is similar to the Nimble 9. Those will be coming back into stock in the next month or two IIRC. Kona Unit (frame only) is sold out for the year.

Jabberwocky would be high on my list too.

The Hayduke has a short reach IIRC, not my style but worth a look maybe.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    B side

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I just bought a N9 frame and asked Canfield Bros for a recommendation for a rigid fork. The response: "We have used the niner carbon fork in the past and it was great!" That fork is 490 axle to crown. Looks like plenty of guys run rigid forks on those bikes and seem to like them. (See http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ca...ad-725555.html.) I can't imagine there is all that much difference in BB / ground clearance between a 490 rigid and a 140mm squisher compressed under a rider's weight, but I've never measured.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    30% sag would knock off 40mm. So then your looking at a difference of around 20mm. It'd probably be fine, you could slant your wheel selection to help with it too by either running a 29+ front or regular 27.5 rear.

In the end, I think just about any rider can adapt to something a bit different

mtbr member
    Totally agree about adaptation. Any idea what 20mm at the fork equates to at the BB on this frame? 5-10mm? That's not many mm. Also, seems at least some of the rigid forks in the 480-500 range claim to be corrected for 120mm suspensions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    For what it's worth, I just bought a N9 frame and asked Canfield Bros for a recommendation for a rigid fork. The response: "We have used the niner carbon fork in the past and it was great!" That fork is 490 axle to crown. Looks like plenty of guys run rigid forks on those bikes and seem to like them. (See http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ca...ad-725555.html.) I can't imagine there is all that much difference in BB / ground clearance between a 490 rigid and a 140mm squisher compressed under a rider's weight, but I've never measured.
    Ok, I just pulled the trigger on a chrome N9 and will be trying out a 490 A-C Niner or equivalent, to start off with. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

As I'm thinking this over, I agree, that when you take into account the squish of a fork when turning, etc., really the geometry is always changing while with a rigid fork, it is pretty much consistent. So really, if the A-C of a 140mm sus fork is 550, it's really 550 - 410 A-C that is in effect, depending on how compressed the fork is at any minute. Therefore, 490 A-C for a rigid should be fine.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, learned about some cool frames I was unaware of. Ultimately, the N9 specs, chrome, and current sale was too good to pass up.

mtbr member
    Nice! My chrome arrived Thursday. It's going to be a while before I gather everything together. I'm trying to figure out what fork to start with. (I've read the Niners are super stiff, which may not work best for me.) Good luck with your build!

mtbr member
    My suggestion to you, no matter what you go with is do the Mullet setup, 650B+ in the rear/29x3" in the front. This setup will achieve several things, first it'll slacken the HTA out for you, so frames like the Monkey, Unit etc will be closer to what you're looking at, second is it will keep the BB relatively high while still allowing you to run the rigid fork.
    Personally I'm also looking to get a new rigid steel frame this year, but geared and I'm most likely going with a Unit (has replaceable drop outs to run SS or geared) because finding Monkey's in stock is next to impossible and they seem to have stopped the orange colour, which I really liked, also I can purchase one easily online from a trusted e-tailer.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Agreed on the Mullet. That's how I ran my Kona Wozo rigid with a 490.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I know you already purchased, but here's a few more:
    The new Vassago Verhauen? 2018 VerHauen
    Niner ROS9
    Niner Sir9