Steel dedicated SS bike for under $1000- Mtbr.com
    Currently in Exile

Steel dedicated SS bike for under $1000

I have been doing quite a bit of internet research, and I like the new Monocog flight with the Sanko steel frame and the sliding dropouts. But, I haven't seen one in person, and wont for another two months. So, any of you guys have experience with the new Flight or Flight 29r.

Another bike that I was considering is the Raleigh XXIX. Looks good on line, but no Idea how it would be in person.

Another option is the Zion 853 build at Price Point. Any thoughts on that.

Finally, are there any other options do I have for a complete bike staying with the requirements that it be Steel, and dedicated SS.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Bite Me.
    Soma 4one5.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Haro Mary SS

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    another vote for the Haro Mary SS

So it goes.....
    Leftover Kona Units (2006) are going for around $700....that leaves $250+ for a nice 80 mm suspension fork for the front. I have my eye on one at the moment. Nice bike for the money.

OD
    It's the search....not the find

I like to ride bikes!
    I got a Raleigh XXIX for my little honey and it's quite nice... The frame exceeded my expectations and the part selection is fine!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I second the Kona Unit - heck go for a Unit 2-9er, still under a grand complete. Steel, single speed and a 2-9er...what more could you want. :-)

GaryJ

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    I have been doing quite a bit of internet research, and I like the new Monocog flight with the Sanko steel frame and the sliding dropouts. But, I haven't seen one in person, and wont for another two months. So, any of you guys have experience with the new Flight or Flight 29r.

Another bike that I was considering is the Raleigh XXIX. Looks good on line, but no Idea how it would be in person.

Another option is the Zion 853 build at Price Point. Any thoughts on that.

Finally, are there any other options do I have for a complete bike staying with the requirements that it be Steel, and dedicated SS.
    Zions are at JensonUSA not Pricepoint. Minor detail.

Kona Units are less than a grand. You can probably get a KM -I'm assuming is a 29r you want- for about a grand, give or take. On-One's inbreed at Pricepoint are thousand bucks. Only 16 and 20 inches left. I don't know how much will the new (07) one cost.

KHS is got a singlespeed, so does Haro. Both at the 1G mark. The Jamis exile SS 29r also fits the bill.

more beers, lees gears.
    whats wrong with used? I got an older monocog with a judy fork for $200. it needs some minor maint. but its a solid start.

New bikes loose their values as fast as american cars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Surly 1x1.
    Frame + fork: $400
    Wheelset: $200
    Drivetrain: $200
    Brake+bars+misc.: $200

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    check the new on one inbred 29er
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?m...iew&ANN_id=416

Quote Originally Posted by on-one
    We have complete 26in and 29in bikes being shipped out of Taiwan right now.
    Final spec is:-

* Brand new 2007 slot dropout frame, with disc brake mounted inside the rear triangle. DN6 chromoly double butted tubing. Frame has full gear routing and mech hanger (removable with hacksaw for SS nazis)
    * on-one Superlight Carbon fork
    * Avid Juicy 3 disc brakes
    * Mary bar and on-one 3d forged stem
    * 9spd cassette rear hub with SS converter kit for easy upgrade to gears
    * Truvativ GXP crankset
    * 29er :: Kenda Nevegal tyres
    * 26er :: no tyres - we will offer options
    * 29er :: Sand colour
    * 26er :: 456 "that blue" colour
    * Ladybird Bell

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Another vote for the Mary SS.

Currently in Exile
    Interesting, I left the Mary and Jamis off of my list for the following reasons.

Mary, I am not sure that I care for the bars on the Mary. I know, swapping out bars is easy, and if I didn't like them, I could easily sell them on Ebay. So, with all of the votes for the Mary, I guess that I will give it a closer look.

Jamis, It has a suspension fork. I am leaning more towards a rigid fork. Also, the Jamis comes in a bit above $1000 MSRP. As I have no Jamis dealers in my local area, the possibility of getting a discount on one is nil.

Come to think of it, it is a 100 mile trip to my nearest Kona dealer, 200 miles to the closest Redline dealer, and 300 to the closest Raleigh dealer.

I need to move.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Currently in Exile
    I pulled the trigger on a used Surly 1X1 today. Couldn't pass up the deal, under $400.00 for the complete bike.

I hope it rides as good as it looks!

FMTCD
    Mar 2007
    A friend of mine has an IRO Mia. Seems like a tough bike based on how hard he rides it. Complete bikes available for $499. I was thinking about a Surly but the IRO is half the price.
    Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Nice score for $400. Also, you do realize that with a new set of disc wheels, tires, and disc brakes, that Surly 1x1 can also be converted to a 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What about a Bianchi Muss?

http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_muss.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rider1x1
    A friend of mine has an IRO Mia. Seems like a tough bike based on how hard he rides it. Complete bikes available for $499. I was thinking about a Surly but the IRO is half the price.
    any chance of getting a ride report from your friend? I started a thread to ask about the mia last week but didn't get much response

Let's ride
    Mary

Or On-One Inbred 29.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a GT Peace 9r for $499. As a complete singlespeed 29er, you can't go wrong. I've got a couple of rides on it and so far I love it.

I'll try to post a couple of pics soon.

Good luck.

Chris

EXORCIZE
    Interesting, I left the Mary and Jamis off of my list for the following reasons.

Mary, I am not sure that I care for the bars on the Mary. I know, swapping out bars is easy, and if I didn't like them, I could easily sell them on Ebay. So, with all of the votes for the Mary, I guess that I will give it a closer look.
    I also considered the Mary bars a "minus" when comparing the Marry SS on paper to other steel SS 29ers - assumed it would be something I'd have to upgrade. A Mary SS test ride eased my worries, and 10+ rides later they're my favorite part on the bike! A single and very natural position for cruising and climbing. My terrain changes quickly and I like not having to think about going to bar ends for more power - great compromise.

But I did finally try some pretty technical downhill on Wednesday and struggled. Its possibly entirely b/c the Mary SS is rigid and was my first go at it, but I'm thinking the Mary bar isn't ideal for this (for me). I'm thinking I'd prefer wider and less bend and maybe something more compliant than aluminum. Then again, most riders won't be riding these kinds of trails on such a bike.

Jamis, It has a suspension fork. I am leaning more towards a rigid fork. Also, the Jamis comes in a bit above $1000 MSRP. As I have no Jamis dealers in my local area, the possibility of getting a discount on one is nil.
    I believe the Jamis Exile 29er comes rigid at $1000 or so and the 26er comes suspended in the front for more. Oh, and the Exile 26er paint looks NICE: http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...s/exiless.html
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

EXORCIZE
    I pulled the trigger on a used Surly 1X1 today. Couldn't pass up the deal, under $400.00 for the complete bike.

I hope it rides as good as it looks!
    $400! Nice find, especially since its long-lasting steel. Looks great.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

Currently in Exile
    I had looked at the GT. Looks good, decent components priced right, and a 29r to boot. It will give the Redline a real challenge.

I just couldn't let this bike go for the $$. It has Hope hubs laced to Mavic 517's. Easton CF bars, XT cranks, and XTR brakes. Hell, some of that stuff is better than what I am currently running on my race bike! Can't wait until I get home so that I can ride it!

Members who have read this thread: 0