Steel AM Hardtail w/ Sliding Dropouts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Steel AM Hardtail w/ Sliding Dropouts

I have been digging through the AM hardtail thread looking for something that is steel and has adjustable dropouts... It's hard to follow or tell which ones accommodate what I am looking for.

Long story short, weekend trips to Sedona/Moab and other places like this are forcing me to build something with a fork (130-140 preferably). I have no interest in full suspension or gears, so a SS AM hardtail seems to be what I need.

There are the obvious ones like the Honzo and Nimble 9, but what others are floating around out there?

Needs to be:
    Steel
    Adjustable dropouts
    Take a 130-140 fork

Anything after that I am open to... historically I have been a 29er kind of guy, but I am open to 650b for something like this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Check out the Nimble 9 from Canfield: NIMBLE 9 BOOST - STEEL HARDTAIL 29er | Canfield Brothers Bikes

And the Honzo from Kona is pretty slack, though I'm not sure if it can handle 130+ forks: KONA BIKES | MTB | HONZO | Honzo ST

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    RSD Big Chief? 4130 cro-mo. sliders.

2016 69 deg headtube (120 mm fork)
    2017 67.5 deg headtube (130 mm fork?)

The max fork for both models is 140 so it seems that you can still slack it out a bit. The downside is the braced seat tube, you probably couldn't get as long of a dropper post in there.

I was interested in one but can't find much info.

Fat Bike Toronto | City Bike Toronto & Vancouver

mtbr member
    I think Chromag has something. they at least have some frames with ISCG tabs on it, so you could put a Blackspire Stinger or similar chain guide, instead of sliders.

Downcountry AF
    I was thinking Stanton Sherpa 853, but it uses horizontal drops like the Surly KM.

Soma Juice can take a big fork.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

orthonormal
    I spoke with someone at Spot Brand about going longer than 120 mm on the Rocker. They said they had no concerns about the frame integrity but they thought the increased BB height might negatively impact handling. It's low enough with a 120 mm Reba that I have to be careful about pedal strikes so I don't really share their concern.

HTA/STA is 67.7/73.7 with a 120 mm Reba. Should be around 67/73 with a 130 mm Pike.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Kona explosif too if you want 27.5, karate monkey got an update this year.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Vassago has three updated 2017 frames arriving this month that fit your SS requirements (although, two of them are titanium):

1. Verhauen (steel)
    2. Optimus (titanium)
    3. Mooseknuckle (titanium)

Each of those will have updated geo, boost, and they're designed to handle 27.5+, 29er, and 29+.

The 2017 Surly Karate Monkeys are finally shipping thIs month; and the latest Advocate Hayduke may work for you, as well.

mtbr member
    Ive seen production privee are selling horizontal dropouts for their bikes again. A shan gt would be nice.

mtbr member
    Niner ROS 9 and the updated SS Surly Karate Monkey can both fit the bill along with the aforementioned N9 and Honzo.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by earworm View Post
    Ive seen production privee are selling horizontal dropouts for their bikes again. A shan gt would be nice.
    Hmm, that's an interesting development. I haven't seen much rider feedback for the new Shan GT, though. It has an interesting look, and the geometry is aggressive as hell (which is exactly what I'm possibly looking for in my next SS), but I don't think I'd pick one up without seeing some more owner testimonials.

Trying to be helpful
    Along with the RSD Big Chief previously mentioned, I'd suggest taking a look at the Kona Honzo ST

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    Hmm, that's an interesting development. I haven't seen much rider feedback for the new Shan GT, though. It has an interesting look, and the geometry is aggressive as hell (which is exactly what I'm possibly looking for in my next SS), but I don't think I'd pick one up without seeing some more owner testimonials.
    I can only speak for my PP oka. It's been a great bike so far, I run it single speed with an eno eccentric. I'm around 270 and haven't broke anything yet.

enjoys skidding
    I can only speak for my PP oka. It's been a great bike so far, I run it single speed with an eno eccentric. I'm around 270 and haven't broke anything yet.
    Hey earworm, any photos of your build with the eno? Sounds tasty!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    Hey earworm, any photos of your build with the eno? Sounds tasty!
    https://bobblepic.com/image/VBr75

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    For what you are looking for I cannot recommend a Walt frame enough. There is an entire discussion here about what has been dubbed the Ultimate Warrior frame design.

http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...r-1015956.html

I have had mine built up solely as a single speed since Thanksgiving and it is just amazing. Yes it costs more than the Honzo or Nimble 9 but it is lighter and rides better than either as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    Needs to be:
    Steel
    Adjustable dropouts
    Take a 130-140 fork

Anything after that I am open to... historically I have been a 29er kind of guy, but I am open to 650b for something like this.
    I absolutely love my REEB Dikeylous. It checks the all the boxes for everything you want and is made with true temper OX platinum steel. This bike replaced my Kona Unit, a bike I didn't think I would ever give up.

Frames built in ColoRADo, direct to you - REEB Cycles

enjoys skidding
    Nice! I'm sure you already have it sorted, but in case - it looks like that chain could do with some more tension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Niner ROS does it for me. EBB instead of sliders, no issues on my end run SS (only way I have tried it). Running a 130mm Pike, right in between the recommended 120-140mm. Favorite bike I have ridden so far.

mtbr member
    I ended up selling out and picking up a Yeti SB5. There is some good info in this thread though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ignore