Steel 24 or 25 tooth- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pipedream Moxie (24 or 25t)

After a 5 year single speed hiatus, I am thinking about it again. I moved to a mountainous area with pretty steep, long climbs, and some shorter painful ones. I have ordered a 29 AM HT, that has sliding dropouts, so converting is easy, gearing, not so much. I have a 28t oval ring that I will use and found that Rennen and Endless Bikes make 24 and 25 tooth cogs, but they are alloy. Would prefer steel, but can't find anything. I know the gearing sounds ridiculous, but I'm pretty sure I'll need it, at least to start.
    Last edited by Legbacon; 02-16-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    At that size, you should be alright with Aluminum, you'll be spreading the force out quite a bit. I also agree, that gearing does sound ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    After a 5 year single speed hiatus, I am thinking about it again. I moved to a mountainous area with pretty steep, long climbs, and some shorter painful ones. I have ordered a 29 AM HT, that has sliding dropouts, so converting is easy, gearing, not so much. I have a 28t oval ring that I will use and found that Rennen and Endless Bikes make 24 and 25 tooth cogs, but they are alloy. Would prefer steel, but can't find anything. I know the gearing sounds ridiculous, but I'm pretty sure I'll need it, at least to start.
    I run a 34t Absolute Black oval ring with a 22t Surly steel cog and it is pretty easy gearing. Sitting for gradual grades and standing for steep grades. You might want to consider a 22t cog with how small your ring is.

powered by peanut butter.
    I don't know about Rennen, but Endless cogs last a long time. It's a harder grade alu--7000 series? Anyway, they have a rep of lasting.

With singlespeeding, I've accepted that I'll have to walk from time to time, so I tend to pick gears that are good for the 80% of the trail that I can ride. I also think you'll get tired of spinning out on non-steep sections.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    On my single speed I run a 34t chainring and either a 19t or 20t endless cog. I did pick up a 18t niner aluminium cog for select races. The 19t is great for alot of rides, but 20t is good for more climbing. One problem is that 28x25 may be too low and you may spin out. My advice is to go with 32 chaining and a 22 or 24 cog. That is still pretty low as here in Arizona in the deserts or mountains 32x19 is pretty common. I have seen riders start out on 32x22, but that is probably all you need. Yes you will stand, but if you are riding singlespeed and never stand you are not doing it right. For me anything over 3% grade and I am standing. Even for a 1 hour climb I am standing the entire way.

Also many tech moves are easier on a slightly bigger gear. If you go too low you may not be able to climb some tech stuff. Of course too big can be an issue on SS so 32x19 may be too much right now, but 28x25 is probably not enough. Heck that was almost a granny gear years ago.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

One ring to mash them all
    https://pinion-bikes.de/PINION-Spide...mm-ArtNr-P8200 (use Google translate to English)

Pinion rear Spider
    Art.Nr .: P8200
    With this rear Spider any normal chainring can with the pitch circle 4-hole 104mm be mounted on the rear wheel hub.
    - Hole circle: 4-hole 104mm
    - hole diameter chainring bolt: 10mm
    - Material: high-strength aluminum
    - Color: black anodized
    - Weight: 44.3 g
    It's 7075 Al.

Available at Bikeman: Bikeman Pinion Rear Spider, 104mm bcd, Aluminum, Black
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and, uh … yeah, and clever."
    — David St. Hubbins

mtbr member
    I live on Vancouver island, and spend a lot of time on the 24-28-32-37 gears. High end is not something I worry about, because when I get going faster it's almost always down hill, and speed is gained by pumping, and staying off the brakes. There are some trails where a SS will be fine, but they are not my favourites. My previous single speeding was in Manitoba, and Alberta, without any big hills. A couple trips to the Rockies where I managed fine on the flower trails. That was with a 26er 32-17, and I could keep up to the geared bikes just fine. I'm thinking that I will start this bike geared, and trial the different ratios, even though it's not really the same. With sliding dropouts, and external routing swapping is simple. The frame is a Pipedream Moxie if your interested. Moxie Enduro Hardtail | 27.5/27.5+/29er Compatible
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I hope you went with the neon pink.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Travis I ride the Shore/Squamish on a SS exclusively, I don't have a geared bike, so I know what you're talking about. I've also ridden the CTR, AZT, SSAZ, all over oregon, etc.. so I know what comparisons posters above are making as well to other terrain gearing.

I started with a 28/19 (42.6), 30/20 (43.4) and it was hard. My favourite gearing for out here is either 30/21 (41.3) or 32/23 (40.3). Currently running 32/22 (42.1) to build up strength, which is likely laughable for folks down in AZ and the like. But it's steep out here and it hurts, so good.

Two comments....
    I've got a whole set of endless from 17-25. They're good, they last a while, come in colours if that's your thing, I'd vouch for their durability, Shanna is cool. Support Endless.

If you're hell bent on the 28 up front I'd probably go 21 maybe 22 to start. Something in the 38 gear inch range is nice for around here. You'll be standing and delivering a bunch on your rides and you don't want to be too spun when you put the power down.

Just some thoughts, good luck!
    @adamalphabet

mtbr member
    Thanks, I should add that I'll be 60 in the summer, but will try a 22t, and hope nothing explodes inside. My friends pushed for pink so the could mock me, but in the end I went with bile green. 29 wheels arrived yesterday, and I just have to decide on a fork now.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No problem. That thing looks like it'll cook on the downs. A nice light dangle free back end will be awesome. Post some pics when it's built...
    Fox Float 34 150mm!
    @adamalphabet

mtbr member
    I took off the gears, found my old spacers and lock ring, installed the 22t, and will give it a go tomorrow. I tried it out today by riding to the coffee shop, and hitting a short steep trail on the way home. Silly gearing on the road but climbing was OK. Not much flat here, all up or down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steel 24 or 25 tooth-20180214_111033.jpg  

Steel 24 or 25 tooth-20180214_111042.jpg  

Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    What travel are you running on that fork?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    150mm.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I took it for a ride yesterday, and most of my route was doable. Incredibly hard work even with the 28-22, but I didn't rupture anything. I had to stop a few times on the normal route up but I can climb to my favourite trails. I descended and crossed over to our easier network, and that was pretty good. This bike corners intuitively, and the frame really takes the sting out of the hits. The rise of the enduro single speed hardtail
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I measured the angles at 65° HTA and a 75.5° STA.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

This place needs an enema
    I have a bike on which I ride a 25t rear Endless a few times a year. Had the same cog on there for ~10 years now. Not exactly the ideal testing scenario, I know. But point simply being that I bought a spare way back then because I wasn't sure if I was ever going to be able to find them again. And I still haven't needed it.

The spare is yours for the cost of shipping if you want it.

eri
    mtbr member
    Nice bike. i'll also vouch for the durability of the endless cogs. my 23 has 2400 miles on it now. I keep my chain pretty clean.

I ride 34x23 and i'm good for sustained climb up to aboot (<- c eh, n eh, d eh!) 500ft per mile. Above that I slow way down and start huffing and puffing. There are a few local trails i've never managed without walking despite a season of trying. Track stand is cheating.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi