Stan's ZTR 3.30 rear hub (geared) - SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Stan's ZTR 3.30 rear hub (geared) - SS?

I picked up a Stan's Crest wheelset with a freehub for a geared bike on it. Does anyone else run this set-up? If so, what type of spacer kit/cog do you run? Having a bit of trouble finding something that works well - can't use the gusset kit from my previous wheel because it's too wide (can't lock it down)/cog won't fit on the body. I have a cog that fits, but it doesn't really lock on well (sliding issues).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Surly makes a nice one that allows lots of chainline adjustment.

mtbr member
    I really like the Endless Bikes spacer kit Endless Bike Company | Products

Its simple, looks clean and works well with most any cogs.

mtbr member
    First make sure you have a cog with a wide base or you'll get dig in on the soft aluminum freehub body of the ZTR rear hub.

I use the Wheels Mfg spacer kit with a Surly cog. Since the cog has a wide base, I don't use all the spacers supplied.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    can't use the gusset kit from my previous wheel because it's too wide (can't lock it down)
    Add 1 spacer from an old cassette and you'll be able to lock cog+spacers.

If the freehub body is alu, don't use a stamped cog, get a wide base cog.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've just used 1.25" PVC pipe as spacers for years. Just use a table saw, because the cuts need to be straight. All the custom length spacers I want for $3. It does help if you have a thin metal spacer by the lock ring, as it tends to dig into the plastic.

mtbr member
    I have one fat Origin8 spacer and a bunch of old spacers from worn out 10 speed cassettes on my ZTR hub with a Singleworks cog (similar to a Surly cog).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks for the suggestions!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Using the same setup. Surly spacers and cog with a GearClamp holding it all in space. The GearClamp makes changing cogs a breeze. The GearClamp comes as a pair, so you can actually use one on the inside and one on the outside so you don't need spacers. Using the spacers on the inside and GearClamp on the outside just seemed a bit easier and more secure to me.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex91 View Post
    Using the same setup. Surly spacers and cog with a GearClamp holding it all in space. The GearClamp makes changing cogs a breeze. The GearClamp comes as a pair, so you can actually use one on the inside and one on the outside so you don't need spacers. Using the spacers on the inside and GearClamp on the outside just seemed a bit easier and more secure to me.
    I'm setting up my 1st singlespeed bike with niner cog, GearClamp on Stans 3.30 hub (non-ss hub). Question...

-How does the GearClamp makes changing cog easy? Is it because when you use spacers you also use the lock ring? While the GearClamp sandwiches the cog in place without the use of spacers?

-Will the niner cog be safe when used with Stan's alloy free hub? I mean, will it eat up the alloy hub?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    No lock ring needed for the Gear Clamp so changing only requires a allen key. And the Niner cog is plenty wide and alloy so it will not do any damage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm using a dmr kit that was twelve dollars. Fits standard and niner cogs. I wanted ss specific hubs but flows with stan hubs are cheap and I can convert to 15mm front and 142mm rear easy when I get a new frame.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Kona unit with some carbon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    I really like the Endless Bikes spacer kit Endless Bike Company | Products

Its simple, looks clean and works well with most any cogs.
    I'll second the endless bike spacers. I have a set of them and my chainline is b-e-a-utiful
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    I'm setting up my 1st singlespeed bike with niner cog, GearClamp on Stans 3.30 hub (non-ss hub). Question...

-How does the GearClamp makes changing cog easy? Is it because when you use spacers you also use the lock ring? While the GearClamp sandwiches the cog in place without the use of spacers?

-Will the niner cog be safe when used with Stan's alloy free hub? I mean, will it eat up the alloy hub?

Thank you.
    Bike Whisperer answered, but just for good measure... I use a gearclamp so I don't have to use the lockring - and thus the chainwhip etc/ to remove it. Just takes an Allen key.

The GearClamp comes as a pair, so you can use it without spacers. I just like using the spacers on the inside.

I've been using Surly cogs, and see no evidence of them chewing up the freehub body. But then again I haven't put as many miles on the bike as I would like due to injury.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rennen cogs are badass.
    MCH Co-Captain

Members who have read this thread: 1