Stans wheels, go light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stans wheels, go light?

Howdy folks,

Anyone running the new Crest MK3 on their SS? I currently moved a set of beefy, AM wheels from another bike to my singlespeed and they are bulletproof, but heavy. Considering the ERD matches my current rim, I am considering re-lacing to a lighter rim such as the new Crest MK3. Anyone have any feedback on that rim?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    depends on your riding style and weight, I am 6'4" 190 and I have the MK3 Crests on my CX bike that i shred trail with from time to time, but my SS MTBs get the MK3 Arches, the ERD is the same with little weight penalty and more durability. My 2 Pennies

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Howdy folks,

Anyone running the new Crest MK3 on their SS? I currently moved a set of beefy, AM wheels from another bike to my singlespeed and they are bulletproof, but heavy. Considering the ERD matches my current rim, I am considering re-lacing to a lighter rim such as the new Crest MK3. Anyone have any feedback on that rim?

Way back when I had a Stans 355 (I think that's what it was called) built up for my SS. It was their light rim, likely the predecessor to the Crest. That rim lived a very long life of several years. I ultimately tore the wheel down but the rim still was ok. I rode and raced it hard at 180# plus gear, and even broke frames that wheel was on.

I think the dishless build on a SS goes a long way toward a stronger wheel.

It's likely not going to hold up well to rim hits from running low pressures on skinny tires though. I was always careful about that.

mtbr member
    i have the arch mk3 and love them. Light and have taken a beating in the 5 or so rides I have on them. 6'3 220
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Yeah, I weigh less at 165lbs and my SS gets lighter trail duty, so it sounds like I can go the Crest route. A littler perspective, I have M520s on there now....they weigh 540g each and have an internal of 19mm. So going to the Crest will shave nearly .8lbs and give me some more width. Thanks folks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Yeah, I weigh less at 165lbs and my SS gets lighter trail duty, so it sounds like I can go the Crest route. A littler perspective, I have M520s on there now....they weigh 540g each and have an internal of 19mm. So going to the Crest will shave nearly .8lbs and give me some more width. Thanks folks!
    I'm leaning towards the the Crest MK3 too, as an upgrade from my old Velocity Aeroheat rims (465g, 18mm internal). Oh yah, I'm even less at 150#!

mtbr member
    Just a heads up to my own thread here: built up the wheels--while there is more flex that the more AM orientated rims, the difference is minor and doesn't take away from the ride. Not a bad thing on a hardtail anyways. Whoo! Acceleration!

Rod
    mtbr member
    I'm roughly your weight and I've ran crests for 5 years. I traded the rear in for an Arch Ex a couple seasons ago. If it can survive Pisgah, I can't complain.