Stan's Crest for the front of a rigid 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stan's Crest for the front of a rigid 29er

What do you think, will a Crest hold up as a front wheel for my rigid 29er with a Arch on the rear? I'm 190, ride pretty smooth XC trails with roots but not to much rock. DT Swiss Competition Spokes front and rear.

I love the weight of the Crest but don't want to end up with a problem down the road.

One other thing, will straight gauge Champion spokes make a stronger wheel?

Thanks!
    60; it's the new 40!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    straight gauge is not stronger. A properly built double butted or fancy (think DT Revolutions) will be better. Straight gauge is only good if you break spokes, because it then stays in true better.

Straight gauge is also way heavier- why go with a light rim and then use heavy spokes?

I personally own a set of Hope to Crests with DT Revolutions and love em.. crazy light too!

BTW, the only reason people claim that straight gauge is stronger is because if you don't know how to build wheels and you get a lot of twist when tensioning them up, lighter spokes are more likely to break. Straight gauge does not twist as much or as easily- so it's only a problem when the wheels are getting built

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by naister
    straight gauge is not stronger. A properly built double butted or fancy (think DT Revolutions) will be better. Straight gauge is only good if you break spokes, because it then stays in true better.

Straight gauge is also way heavier- why go with a light rim and then use heavy spokes?

I personally own a set of Hope to Crests with DT Revolutions and love em.. crazy light too!

BTW, the only reason people claim that straight gauge is stronger is because if you don't know how to build wheels and you get a lot of twist when tensioning them up, lighter spokes are more likely to break. Straight gauge does not twist as much or as easily- so it's only a problem when the wheels are getting built
    Straight gauge can also build up to a stiffer wheel, but I agree with you. A rim like a crest deserves at least DT comp spokes, the change in stiffness is pretty negligible but the weight savings is more than worth it to go to competition or revolution

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am 192 butt naked and probably close to 200 geared up and I'm riding crest rims with DT spokes and King hubs on a rigid 29er (IF Ti Deluxe w/Niner carbon fork). I'm not doing any jumps or crazy stuff, but lots of ruts, rocks, trees, etc. and no problems after about 300 miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm 200lbs and riding Crests with DT Comps, on DT 240s. But it's SS so the rear is stronger however. No issues yet this year. Smacked the rear rim a few time.

Members who have read this thread: 0