Standard threaded 15t Freewheel... does this exist????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Standard threaded 15t Freewheel... does this exist????

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a freewheel I can get that is standard threaded in 15t???

Seems like 16t is the smallest I can find in standard threading, as it goes to M30 threading .

mtbr member
    M30 threading is common on BMX"flip-flop" hubs. those were common in freestyle riding when giant 44t sprockets went out of style and people started running 39/14 gear ratios, then 36/13. (I get the impression that 15t freewheels were helpful in racing too, but that is outside of my experience.) after that, everyone who wanted smaller gears went to a hub with a one-piece driver with a 10 or 9 tooth cog on it. all of that stuff is 110mm spacing.

sorry for the history lesson. my point is that anything less than a 16t freewheel is probably going to be on a BMX hub, and not on a 135mm spaced mtb hub.

mtbr member
    Do you need the 15 for a particular gear ratio? Running 2 more teeth on the chain ring should give you a similar effect to dropping 1 tooth on the freewheel.
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    AC Racing 888.

Stokeless Asshat
    Yeah. The AC is the only one I've ever seen. High quality unit also.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat View Post
    Do you need the 15 for a particular gear ratio? Running 2 more teeth on the chain ring should give you a similar effect to dropping 1 tooth on the freewheel.
    Yeah. See herein lies the issue... this is for my fixed gear road bike, that I would like to have the option to run SS. Because my bike is a 1982 Peugeot, and because the French used to have a ton of stupid unique measurement, I have a 122BCD Stronglite 93 chainring up front, in 40t. The issue is that these are no longer made, so I am limited to the 40t up front.

Why not just replace the crankset, you might ask? because of more stupid unique threading, blahblahblah. lol

Plus the BB and crankset are in good shape, and this is my cheap bike (i have less than $200 in the thing even after a new rear wheel), so I don't want to throw a ton of money at it.

Hence the 15t freewheel and needing standard threads. haha

I saw that AC 888, but I cannot find one to purchase. Anyone know where I can find one?