sta cruz chameleon size- Mtbr.com
    Slave to the grind

sta cruz chameleon size

Hi guys! im being offered a good deal on a chameleon used for road only which i want to turn into an SS.

size question though. the guy who owns it is 6'2 and is selling it because he finds it too tiny. the size is a large and i'm a 5'8. is this to much of a stretch for me?

im going to take it for a spin tomorrow but wondering if there is some wisdom that can be imparted on me from this group regarding it being used as a single speed and wether a Large is to much bike for me
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    I am 5'6 and ride a medium. The geo chart on their website is kind of a joke if you ask me. The medium has the exact same effective tt as my 15.5(small) gary fisher. Take it for a test ride and see what you think.

SS Pusher Man
    Might actually fit fine. I am 6' and find that the large was too small for XC riding. I moved up to a XL. They do tend to run a little smaller than other bikes. Measure the top tube on your current bike and compare it with the top tube on the the Chameleon which on the large is 23.3".

mtnbikej

mtbr member
    Cherrybomber....I'm 5'11 and I ride a large Chameleon as a SS. I'm thinking the Large will be too much bike for you as it's almost too much for me. Hang in there and get a medium...you'll love it.

I see them on MTBR all the time.

Cheers,
    MS
    Click That Sh*t

mtbr member
    I am 5'8" with a medium and I L-O-V-E it; super fun both on the trails and cruising around town. The bike is really agile, responsive, and "flickable." It does, however, feel at times small- but in a really good way, like Mighty Mouse. I have a pretty short stem and, for instance, on really long climbs I think if the bike were a bit longer it would be perfect (the difference in TT between a M and L is 2cm). I bet you would fit fine on a large... give it a test ride and then get it!

The man who fell to earth

Chammies are somewhat undersized...

I just built up a Chammy and had to "blind order" my size without trying one on. I'm 6'1" and sort of fall between XL and L normally. I had heard that the chammy's are sized a bit small, so I went with an XL. Turns out it fits perfectly, maybe even just a tiny bit small. So they are definitely a bit undersized compared to standard MB sizing. Sounds like a L may be ok for you especially for XC, unless you're really into jumping and stylin'...otherwise a M frame might be better.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by cherrybomber
    Hi guys! im being offered a good deal on a chameleon used for road only which i want to turn into an SS.

size question though. the guy who owns it is 6'2 and is selling it because he finds it too tiny. the size is a large and i'm a 5'8. is this to much of a stretch for me?

im going to take it for a spin tomorrow but wondering if there is some wisdom that can be imparted on me from this group regarding it being used as a single speed and wether a Large is to much bike for me

Slave to the grind

New question here. plain confused

took the bike for a spin. bike seemed tiny but top tube clearance was enough to get me a little worried for the family jewels.

decisions decisions....
    i can get a smaller bike for better top tube clearance and get really cramped OR stick witha bigger bike and sing soprano......

then again a few CM shouldnt really matter either way right?

will probably go for brand new and better chances at having kids.

thanks for all the inputs y'all! anymore feedback would be excellent.
    Last edited by cherrybomber; 02-23-2005 at 07:33 AM. Reason: forgot to say thank you
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Imo....

You should get the Large, run a 4 inch fork, use a 120 or 130 Stem & a Seatpost with no lay-back. That should give you a good XC feel.

Another thing I notice - A lot of folks compare SC's to Fishers size wise.... IMO that's not really a fair comparison due to Gary Fishers Genesis Geo. which is I'd say on the other end of "normal sizing" spectrum.

Just my 2 bits.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    You should get the Large, run a 4 inch fork, use a 120 or 130 Stem & a Seatpost with no lay-back. That should give you a good XC feel.

Another thing I notice - A lot of folks compare SC's to Fishers size wise.... IMO that's not really a fair comparison due to Gary Fishers Genesis Geo. which is I'd say on the other end of "normal sizing" spectrum.

Just my 2 bits.......
    I would agree on the Gary Fisher thing(I assume you are referring to my comment) but mine is an older pre-genesis Fisher. That said it would be nice if all company's measured ETT the same way. For reference I am 5'6" with a 28.5 inseam(barefoot) and ride a medium with a 20mm setback seatpost and 100mm stem. Standover is at a premium but how often do you really just stand over the tt with both feet firmly on the ground.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Do you tend to nut it on every ride or something? Are you gonna be DJ alot or is this a SS XC/Trail bike? I would go for the bigger frame. SO is an over-rated dimension in my opinion, potentially painful, but still over-rated.

Most of the time if you are gonna crash and take the TT in the nuts, it doesn't matter how much standover you have, your body, legs, everything are out of control as it is.

Think how much more time you are going to send in the saddle pedaling away on a trail compared to eating crap on the TT. I would go for the in-the-saddle comfort of the appropriate TT length, having to short of a TT on a trail/xc bike wrecks the back. I'll take my chances of trying to bail away from the bike in the event of a crash over constant discomfort while im actually riding.

Just my 2 cents.