SSWC08 Registration ringing in the New Year - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Look what I got!!!!!!!!!

Wow - it's been a couple of rainy and busy days here at SSWC08 headquarters and we've been swamped with all the emails that came in on New Year's Eve. The response was overwhelming and the event filled up as soon as it opened. That being said we are sending you this email to congratulate you cuz you are IN!

Hurray!
    Where's BAKERSFIELD?

Jul 2004
    I appear to be in

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barnes
    I appear to be in
    nice!

see ya before then?

Jeff from HFF...
    (I got a 'No')

Category Winner
    In also.

Cheers old fellows.

See you chaps in hell.

Last edited by teamdicky; 01-06-2008 at 06:16 AM.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Where's Toto?
    Got my rejection letter yesterday. Not surprised or overly concerned. I can think of a lot better ways to spend the coin to get out to cali.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I really have to question the entry protocols for this thing. Who decides this is the world championships of SS? Not sure how you can call this event anything but a party. Certainly not a world championship if you open/close and gauge entries based strictly on timing - and not accurate timing at that. Look at any legitimate championship level race (e.g. Ironman, Western States, USCF Nats, Norba Nats, etc) and there is either a selection process, qualifying standards, or lottery for entry slots. Billy Von Erbensteiniaksy doesn't just sit patiently by the computer, sipping mai tais until the strike of 12:02:37 and then hit the send button to get into the World Cyclocross Championships.

Category Winner
    For the people that are taking the "world championship" thing to seriously lest we forget that the 2005 champ was determined in a go-cart race...

SSWC is what it is.

An excuse to get drunk for multiple days in a row and ride with a bunch of other idiots on SS's.

This thing is hardly serious.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The only legitimate thing about the SSWC is an excuse for fun.
    It's location is decided with a drinking contest, and the winner receives a tattoo as a prize.
    Unfortunately I can't make it to the party do to a family commitment, but if it was another weekend, HELL Yeah! A few thousand singlespeeders descending on wine country sounds like a good time to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Two of my fine lady friends got in and I know they were registered after me because it occured on my computer.

I have to say, rock on that priority was given to the ladies. 800+ people signing up, I am fine with it not being first come first served.

Guess I will just have to go support and cheer on with a lexan wine glass in hand!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    SSWC is different, and different every year, because the people who organise it can do it (including the entry process) any way they like. Variety is good. Chapeau to Curtis and Crew for taking it all on and making it theirs so it can be whatever it will be for the masses. Who decides this is the world championships? The UCI do don't they? That's what I was told. It's beyond official - everything and nothing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    ...Who decides this is the world championships of SS?...
    The traditional SS community does, not a well-funded slick corporatised sports organisation run for money. Our races are true amateur events.

There's plenty of events for self-obsessed A type personalities elsewhere.

The SS community is amorphous, so some chaos can be expected, yet we get surprisingly little of it in SS events. If there is, we don't care and just get on with enjoying the event.

The SSWC07 experience was brilliant and well organised. I expect SSWC08 will turn out to be the same.

If you didn't get in, it doesn't mean your mummy didn't love you, or that you are unworthy, or that someone else was "cooler", it simply means that there were far more people chasing entries than were available and you were unlucky.

The incredible amount of whining and stated intentions of some posters to try to spoil the event must be giving foreign entrants a really low impression of USA riders.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I am........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click Here for Forum Rules

feeling squirrelly
    In!!!!

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    The traditional SS community does, not a well-funded slick corporatised sports organisation run for money. Our races are true amateur events.

There's plenty of events for self-obsessed A type personalities elsewhere.

The SS community is amorphous, so some chaos can be expected, yet we get surprisingly little of it in SS events. If there is, we don't care and just get on with enjoying the event.

The incredible amount of whining and stated intentions of some posters to try to spoil the event must be giving foreign entrants a really low impression of USA riders.
    Amateur event? I will guarantee you that the winner will be a professional bike racer and I'll bet the top 5 are Pro's.

Because you ride a singlespeed doesn't make you any cooler than anyone else. Who doesn't ride a singlespeed now-a-days? As much as you claim everyone else is a self-obsessed A type personality you seem to be the biggest with your "I'm a singlespeeder so I'm cool" attitude. If anyone actually cares what bikes others ride then I feel sorry for them. I like people that ride bikes and I know plenty of them that don't ride SS's exclusively. I'm not a singlespeeder, I'm a cyclist that happens to ride a bike with one gear and I know plenty of roadies who are cooler than some SSers and plenty of SSers who are cooler than XC geeks and plenty of Crossers cooler than a bunch.

And no one really cares what impression you have of USA riders.

Really we don't.

Singlespeeds are so 2004
    Dec 2006
    If your not in that's unfortunate I guess, rather than complaining about it perhaps you maybe want to take a long hard look at yourself and actually take the rejection of not gaining a place in a certain race into perspective.
    It's only a bike race after all and certainly not racing won't preclude you from the fun of the event or the festivities which surround it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    IN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat
    Amateur event? I will guarantee you that the winner will be a professional bike racer and I'll bet the top 5 are Pro's.
    I doubt anyone will care how the winners earn their living, I'm talking about the event organisation.

...Because you ride a singlespeed doesn't make you any cooler than anyone else. Who doesn't ride a singlespeed now-a-days? etc...
    I very much doubt anyone who saw me would ever think I was cool. I'm about as uncool as it's possible to get, in fact it's laughable. I'm a cycling nonentity who just likes simple things. I don't recall ever thinking grunting up a hill was cool, and still don't. I do think it's fun though. I certainly didn't say I was cool or imply it. I apologise for my English usage if you got that impression. I was referring to those people whose self-image is so fragile that their response to rejection is a flame on this thread.

...no one really cares what impression you have of USA riders....
    The USA riders I have met at various SS events have all been really nice people, friendly and into the spirit of the event. My point was that anyone outside the USA reading this thread would get a very unfavourable impression from the posts of the petulant types who are threatening to spoil the event. (NB I am referring only to the petulant spoilers, and no-one else)

I hope I have explained myself better.

Jan 2004
    The USA riders I have met at various SS events have all been really nice people, friendly and into the spirit of the event. My point was that anyone outside the USA reading this thread would get a very unfavourable impression from the posts of the petulant types who are threatening to spoil the event. (NB I am referring only to the petulant spoilers, and no-one else)
    I don't think anyone is spoiling the event by venting frustration. Who cares what anyone is saying about it or the whining about it, in 8 months will this really take away anything from the event? You pretty much have to expect people will be annoyed about any process whether the complaints are warranted or not. Let em vent, what's it matter? No one is complaining about those who got in celebrating.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    Only thing clear is that you (and I) were making assumptions. Nothing stated that it would be first come first served. It did open at midnight (granted, some question over clock time) and registration did close after it filled up. Again, what rule did they violate?
    Yes, I admit I misspoke and they have not explicitly said it was the first 350. The "first come first in was implied", but never stated explicitly. I made an assumption and that assumption was apparently incorrect.

My apologies to the Race directors and staff. I know this cannot be fun for them with all the angst of riders not getting in.

I do feel that they should have made selection process a little more clear.
    Ride Your Bicycle

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    A Nigerian email scam would fit nicely with the spirit of the event so far.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    Judging by some of the attitudes being shown on here I'd say the selection criteria was spot on.

Birthday Collector
    Hello, my name is Muhafa Quaffimadala. I am contacting you because I have an entry to the SSWC08 event. Unfortunately, my home country of Nigeria is unable to send it's atheletes to the event, even though we have 10 entries as per international rules. To help support our team and it's future racing, we are auctioning off our ten entries. To enter into the auction, please link to this paypal account, and for $100 U.S. we will enter you into a limited auction. Only the first 350 entries will be accepted. Multiple entries can be submitted by each person - so hurry and guarantee your participation in this event!!! Thank you for helping Team Nigeria!!!
    Nigerian SSWC08 Fund-raising Auction
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_A
    Judging by some of the attitudes being shown on here I'd say the selection criteria was spot on.
    So the SSWC should just be some exclusive event huh? I thought that was the wrong attitude for singlespeeders dude....

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    I am........

Man,
    That was too predictable.

In like chin, yo.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    this is the best reading!

i cant beleive all the whinging on here! i got up at 8am UK time, cant remember when and what mili second after the bell went (i was still smashed) i submitted my form, but,i got in, my number got punched, my name picked,whatever, who cares, its a lottery. do you cry like a ***** every saturday when you dont hit the jackpot...............

this will be my 4th SSWC. 1st one i dressed like a t*t, 2nd i got drunk, came last and broke 4 ribs, and 3rd did one lap and frigged my knee badly. if im there on merit, i salute you mr inglis...........

roll on august......

mtbr member
    So the SSWC should just be some exclusive event huh?

Do you mean based on the evidence on this thread?

Jan 2004
    No, I mean by you speculating that there was a selection criteria.

mtbr member
    I wasn't speculating nothing.

I'm fairly sure however that no matter how entries were chosen the organisers don't deserve the stick they're getting here. Someone was always going to be disappointed......l

Birthday Collector
    I didn't get in and am sorta bummed - but so what? I wanted to go "just to be there" and didn't get in. C'est La vie. Now, I plan on either joining a mass horde of unofficial entrants, or spewing beer schmenge-style at CHUM or anyone I recognize who is racing. Either way I'll have fun! Some people are taking this way too seriously, and some are taking the whining way too seriously - if you don't like the whining, don't read the post(s) and if you want to whine, sorry that this affected you that much! I am thinking that if the promoters could have had 800 entrants that they would have accepted 800 entrants. Since the venue only would let them sign "X" amount is beyond their control. Between administrators, insurance and other vaguaries, it can be difficult to put on "competition" events. If someone got a "pass" and ends up not being able to go (travel costs, injury, whatever) then I am sure someone on the forums will end up getting that ticket. I, for one will be there and looking forward to meeting some of the names of those on this forum - whether you got in or not!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09

Jan 2004
    I wasn't speculating nothing.

I'm fairly sure however that no matter how entries were chosen the organisers don't deserve the stick they're getting here. Someone was always going to be disappointed......l
    Nobody should really care at all what stick they are getting on a message board.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

This thread is laugh out loud funny

what a bunch of whingeing idiots you lot are, if i'd have been organising this event this thread would have made a perfect start for deselection !

whingeing single speeders who cant join the cool club, whats the world coming to ?, get over yourselves ya idiots

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    Nobody should really care at all what stick they are getting on a message board.

i doubt anyone does.

mtbr member
    How about converting some of the negative energy into something positive?

If some of those who did not get accepted got in touch with the organisers and put on some subsidiary events, parties, bike shows etc, there would be plenty of fun to go round.

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Dan, have you checked your PC clock against the USNO clock? I only checked this morning, and I was off by 14 seconds. I registered at 2-3 mins in. I wonder if you might be off, and ended up registering too early? Sorry to hear Dan, either way.
    Thomas,
    Interesting to check. 5 seconds slow. So 6 to 7 seconds after. But like Chum says, it depends on when SSWC08 received it. I do plan on volunteering, or maybe show up with #351, or both .
    Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

people...check you SPAM folders....just in case the golden ticket is hiding in there.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

my gmail account marked the e-mail from sswc08 as spam

Hey guys,
    just to let you know, check you Gmail accounts, I just have taken a look at my spam folder and the e-mail from SSWC08 was hidden there since 14 hours ago, even though I had received one e-mail from there before announcing the registration process. So I still dont know how Gmail flagged this as spam.
    Anyway....
    Im IN
    See you next August in Napa

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    people...check you SPAM folders....just in case the golden ticket is hiding in there.....
    sorry didnt see your post, I was writing mine... anyway, high chances you have an e-mail from SSWC in your SPAM folders.

fwd... that's how I roll

Sswc 08

In...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Exactly! I didn't get in and yes, people that signed up after me got in due to location, high profile names and blogs, gender, etc. Oh well, I was bummed but most of the fun is still there for the taking. I understand that being in the US this year gave many of us a chance to ride the SSWC without paying heaps of cash to get to Europe or someplace else and that stings. By taking this thing too seriously though, it gives the impression that we all want some hardcore event where we go to bed the night before at 8pm, don't drink a beer all week, stand on the start line with our stoic race faces, and hate all the way to the finish. [email protected]*! that, you can find that type of race anywhere! I thought this event was about one gear, friends (new and old), beer, and fun!

That being said, I think they should ALWAYS finish the SSWC by having a ridiculous secondary type competition to determine winners. Keep the sponsored riders that think its cool to slum once a year on an even playing field with all the riders that make the event what it is. Keep it a festival and not a race!

Thanks to the people who were crazy enough to take on the task of putting this event on! All this negativity will be over with in a week or two and in 8 to 9 months it will be all smiles. Cheers and hope to see everyone out there!

Quote Originally Posted by hakalugi
    In...
    bro'.....that is soooo effin' cool....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM
    what a bunch of whingeing idiots you lot are, if i'd have been organising this event this thread would have made a perfect start for deselection !

whingeing single speeders who cant join the cool club, whats the world coming to ?, get over yourselves ya idiots
    I love it when someone possessing the writing skills of a nine-year-old has enough guts to post a message calling other people idiots.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Top dollar for a spot!!

hello,

My name is Amir Kutchemeshgi. I'm a Iranian prince, My father has left me 20 million dollars, The money has been seized. The money will not be released till I can pay the tax. If you are willing to give me your sswc spot and 1000 dollars wire transfered to a unnamed bank account in the cayman islands. I will in return give you 1 millions dollars.

Thread Pollution
    Yeah, and I wonder how many Tibetans got in. Bum Rush the PARTY,I didn't get in,all will be affected by the maka having a good time.SSaved 35 bucks for some of that Cali.prescription,it better be good stuff,cough cough cough. All the whining about not getting in is legit. All the fockurs who whine about the whiners are just like the guy who sneaks a look over the bathroom stall and goes back to his mate & whines about size.
    Last edited by makachut; 01-06-2008 at 07:40 PM.
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

mtbr member
    +1

If some of those who did not get accepted got in touch with the organisers and put on some subsidiary events, parties, bike shows etc, there would be plenty of fun to go round.
    I'm gonna just go ahead and say "all talk, no action." I'd love to be proven wrong however.

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    The O'Deas are in!

Thread Pollution

Racer #351

Nothing worse than a pissed off, drunk, singlespeeder, from rural, redneck America who feels rejected.Geez,I'll give the organizers a little empathy. They are going to have there hands full .
    Now, that's done.
    I call for a Revolution,until security stops us.
    Last edited by makachut; 01-06-2008 at 07:37 PM.
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by raposu
    Hey guys,
    just to let you know, check you Gmail accounts, I just have taken a look at my spam folder and the e-mail from SSWC08 was hidden there since 14 hours ago, even though I had received one e-mail from there before announcing the registration process. So I still dont know how Gmail flagged this as spam.
    Anyway....
    Im IN
    thanks for the heads up - I was wondering why I had received neither a yes nor no.

I'm in too! The 'you're in' email had been sitting in my spam folder for quite a while.

<edit> I just noticed that after looking in my Spam folder, Google adds provided me with this:
    * Exported from MasterCook *

SAVORY SPAM CRESCENTS

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Sandwiches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    10 sl Bacon, cut in small pieces
    1/4 c Finely chopped onion
    1 cn SPAM Luncheon Meat, cubed
    - 12 oz
    1 Egg, beaten
    3 tb Grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tb Chopped fresh parsley
    2 tb Dijon-style mustard
    1/8 t Pepper
    2 pk Refrigerated crescent roll
    -dough (8 oz)

Heat oven to 375'F. In skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is
    crisp; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except crescent roll
    dough. Separate each package of crescent dough into 8 triangles.
    Spread top half of each triangle with SPAM mixture; roll up. Place on
    baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jan 2008
    Only 350 entrants what a load of crap who cares about there LITTLE exclusive sswc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raposu
    Hey guys,
    Anyway....
    Im IN
    Yup, gmail threw my "you got in" message in the spam folder too. I wonder if SSWC means something different in pornese.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm with Dave A. seems the promoters have a sixth sense.

Velobike, cheers!

Jun 2005
    as a promoter as well as racer i have nothing against the crew, but i feel that the overseerers of the event should state a minimum sign-in limit to the promoter. this may exclude US venues due to lawyers. out of curiousity what was the limit in the motherland last year? im not griping just looking at technical end. ride dont whine.

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    i think everyone knew that signup would close at around 300-ish, and SSWC07 in scotland i think was about 250-ish, no one complained then.........

there never seems to be when its any where but america, and you never hear any non-americans moaning about having to travel there, maybe we should have it in europe more often.........................................;0)

Jul 2004
    There were 300 places available last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStarRacing
    i think everyone knew that signup would close at around 300-ish, and SSWC07 in scotland i think was about 250-ish, no one complained then.........

there never seems to be when its any where but america, and you never hear any non-americans moaning about having to travel there, maybe we should have it in europe more often.........................................;0)
    Too true!

Hey, what a great idea - or how about in Oz or Japan?

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    i tried to persuade my pal damo to run a SSWC in melbourne and he said he would like to, but it would be a few years off..............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStarRacing
    i tried to persuade my pal damo to run a SSWC in melbourne and he said he would like to, but it would be a few years off..............
    Too cold, Cairns in Far North Queensland would be the place.

Mountains, tropical reefs, rainforest, topless sunbakers on the Esplanade. Paradise!

Plus they have a world class mtb course at the Northern Beaches. Ride from the beach to the course, what could be better.

Also an International airport almost in the city.

Any Cairns riders got an entry this year?

Jan 2008

More Ranting

This event is obviously growing in popularity if the organizers cant cope with this maybe they shouldnt put there hands up for it.

Would I rather ride with 350 like minded single speeders or 1000 if your going to hold what could be a fantastic event like this then why not include everyone 350 places is just hopeless actually no its less than hopeless.

The scott 24hr (Australia) now that is an event something like 3000 competetors I think might be more.

Here is a solution how about they (the cool people) regulate the number of mountain bikers actually allowed to ride singlespeeds world wide to say 350 that way it will stay cool and no one will miss out.

Pick me please I want to ride a single speed I do yes I do really I wont stop if it hurts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    out of curiousity what was the limit in the motherland last year?
    281 runners, 40ish paid but didn't show. 20ish cancelled with a couple of weeks to go ( we were only able to fill a few of these). about 50 folks that registered for a place, but then ignored all subsequent emails. lots and lots of people moaning after registration closed.

someone about 100 whinges ago asked for a breakdown by nationality? 100% jock tamson's bairns.

Jan 2004

Yes, yes, yes...

...it sucks that some of you fine folks didn't make it in. What sucks even more, is that I didn't make it in. But it is what it is, and some of the ones doing much of the ball-bustin' and belly-achin' here would likely be singing a different tune had they been accepted, defending the system and those running it instead of pissing and moaning. Now I remember why I don't log on to this forum much anymore.

Gentlemen and women, there is always next year, if some of you don't die of desiccation in the meantime from all the tear-shedding.

My sympathies, but it's time to let it go.

No one is cool; everyone is an unrepentant d!ckhead...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Damn, let's not take this all so personally

Look, I've read a whole bunch of stuff on this now that my power is back on and can't believe the crap the Napa folks are getting for this. I was one of the handful of folks who spent countless hours organizing the Downieville edition (plus showing up 2 days after the birth of my first child to help make sure everything ran smoothly on race day). It's no easy task, and the grief can be overwhelming until you see the smiles of the people who really get this thing called one-speeds.

There is not a bad bone in the bodies of the folks running this thing. They are truly some of the nicest people you will ever meet, but frankly, with some of your attitudes out there, you'll likely never understand that. If they said it would be first come first serve, then it was, based on their e-mail records and servers. It's way easier to just count to 350 than pick and choose.

These folks deserve a lot of credit and kudos for finding a great location, getting insurance and all the other behind the scenes things required to run one of these events and putting their personal lives, reputations and livelihoods on the line. I for one am grateful (to all of the organizers from the Whirlds in Big Bear all those years ago to now), whether or not I get in.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by ss34x18
    2 spots were held for last years champions, and 348 spots were held for people who own Retrotec or Inglis bikes.
    Maybe I didn't get in because Curtis found out I SOLD my Retrotec?

Seriously though, I signed myself up first, within a few seconds of the SF Fireworks display beginning at midnight, and THEN I signed a buddy up who was away skiing, and HE got in and I did NOT . Prolly be there anyway to cheer my 3 buddies on who did get in.
    Last edited by tamjam; 01-07-2008 at 08:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Just stop all the damn belly aching!

I tried to keep an earlier response simple and quick, but I mulled it over last night and was just fuming by the time I woke up.
    A friend of mine said something earlier this year that pissed me off at the time, but I think he's right. "Single Speeding is to main stream now". I don't remember all the God Damn cry babies riding SS's. Anybody who's followed the SSWC over the last few years know that it's always a new promoter every year and that's decided by an arbitrary contest from the previous year. They also know there are not a set of rules one must follow. What if you did get in and at the start they chuck all your front wheels into the woods or tell you, you need to switch bikes with the guy next to you. This is the kind of stuff that goes on. Luck and curve balls is part of the fun. If you didn't already understand that this was the wrong event for you anyway. Who know's how the server handled the deluge of responses in the span 5 minutes. I'm sure they saved a few spots for previous winners and let as many women sign up as possible and then I would bet it was completely random.
    There is only a hand full of people that can actually win this thing. The fun part is hanging out with a bunch of like minded people for a weekend and raising a little hell. My suggestion is if you didn't get into the "race", come down and enjoy the festivities and add some color. Maybe spray beer on everybody that did get into the "race".
    My hat's off to the Promoters/Organizers and everybody else that helps to put this thing on. I plan to get a lot more wine then whine when I'm down there.

fwd... that's how I roll
    bro'.....that is soooo effin' cool....
    I feel like I won the lottery ... I'll be out there for a week, so I'll drop you a line...

have a good one...

J

Jan 2004

Fairness Doctrine...

Yes there are plenty of people out there whining. But they are not whining about not getting in. Thats not the issue. The issue is the registration process and the manner in which it was done.

I know someone mentioned the SSWC in Scotland and it was limited to 300 etc but was the registration process done like this at the stroke of midnight ...?

I think Downieville did it right with the numbers and the venue ...600 at that time was just about right. Times are different now and the demand is there, limiting and choosing a venue that limits the race to a field of 350 is nonsensical. It should not be ' the good of the few outwiegh those of the many' but the other way around...

I think those of you who got in need to think about the process and its fairness...If you think it was fair then have good race....but if you dont then why are you going?

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlamoanaSS

I know someone mentioned the SSWC in Scotland and it was limited to 300 etc but was the registration process done like this at the stroke of midnight ...?
    Yup, midnight GMT on 1st April iirc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes there are plenty of people out there whining. But they are not whining about not getting in. Thats not the issue. The issue is the registration process and the manner in which it was done.
    DING, DING, DING!!! we have a winner!

if the "powers that be" said that from the beginning that from all the entries submitted, they would randomly choose who got in/ who didn't... i think there would have been a lot less pissing and moaning. maybe they aren't choosing folks... but it sure appears that way. i know i was in the "whiners" camp... but i am over it.

now what i think would be hilarious was if they switched... all the folks that got their "in" emails are actually out and all the "rejects" are in. then we would see a lot more whiners come out of the wood work .

LOL... anyhoo, i hope to make it down for some serious heckling. if any out-of-towners are interested in some pre-race/post-race rides in N. Tahoe... drop me a line. with miles of world-class mtbiking in my backyard, i am toying with the idea of hosting an underground SS race in the truest sense with no entry fee, self-supporting, starting and ending from a brewery, etc.

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    Yiup.
    I'm gonna help the Napa crew, et al. and drink a shitton of beer before passing out face down in the Poison Oak. (anybody who know skyline and Angwin knows the dreaded leaves of three that abound there)
    see you there, beer in hand.

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005

...sigh...

that was a faaaaaaack of a lot of sad commentary to read through just now. in the interests of comparison, as one of the hapless jackasses who put on the 2002 event, i'd like to offer some perspective to those who have never put on an event, and to those who consider themselves "professional" event promoters:

first, the SSWC has neve rbeen a professional, sanctioned event. i'm amazed the UCI hasn't caught wind of this and issued a cease and desist, but there ya go. it's informal, rule-free, generally half-organized, and flawed. every year has had some element of this. some years have been tighter than others, but there have always been plenty of people with plenty to complain about.

second, anyone who assumes there is some sort of secret illuminati or other behind the scenes cool kids club should really lay off the glue huffing. adittedly, some people probably got in via reservation, but i'd be hard pressed to imagin that there were more than 50 spots that went that way.

third, blame the internet. when we did downieville in 2002 we were restricted by the USFS in our permit size (first time the event had a permit or insurance, something brought about by the growing field size in both england and minneapolis in years prior) to 400 entrants. sensing that an open internet signup would swamp us, we decided to reveal nothign about the event other than it was in downieville and to enter you had to show up. in case of too many people, we were going to decide entrants based on their knowledge of "the walrus and the carpenter". didn't have to. there were just under 300 entrants on the day. the wonders of the internet, this information age, places like this forum, can also be curses. a lot of people with instant access and a need to be part of something. what's a promoter to do in this case?

fourth, along that line, field size? how many racers do you think is reasonable? the numbers for the past few years have been solid around 300-400. partly due to location, partly due to field size limits. more than 400 athletes is a nightmare to manage, unless you are resorting to some degree of serious event promotion. and that is not something that i would ever want this event to aspire to be.

fifth, about professionalism: yes, pro racers can come and win it. but the whole reason this came about in the first place was to get away from the moribund joyless officialdom that was part and parcel of racing in the late 90s. pros could come and race, but nobody, NOBODY, expected a race that was run professionally. they expected slack timing, good beer, and fun. THAT was the reason.

read that point above again. keee-rist, in 02 we didn't even bother recording finish times for anyone after travis came across the line.

folks, this is an evolving event, but at its core it has always been run by people who want to have a good time, and who want to show other riders a good time. it has never been about making money, or crowning the worlds most seriously badass one speeder (although adam craig is a pretty damn hard act to top), or maintaining some secret elite cadre of cool, or about offering tirathlon smooth venue and event promotion complete with valet parking. it's warty and messy and non-conformist and weird and always different, and it's put on by people who have other jobs and plenty of other stuff to occupy their time. there will be glitches. and this is a good thing.

for all of you seeking something more pro, go race some sanctioned events. for those of you who want a better run race, try organizing one yourselves first. for everyone who is miffed about not getting in, wy not go for a nice log ride with some good friends that day instead. as has already been mentioned to death, it's just one race...

and for everyone who wants to poach with the number 351, you are all douchebags...

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MtotheF

and for everyone who wants to poach with the number 351, you are all douchebags...

C'mon Mike...

Don't hold back...

How do you really feel?

Presenting Lord and Lady Douchebag

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    C'mon Mike...

Don't hold back...

How do you really feel?
    after getting that badly spelled rant off my chest, better now. thanks.

mtbr member
    Well put, Mike.

Now everyone...
    STOP

p.s. I'll be orgainizing the 29erwc08 for an undisclosed number of people in an undisclosed place at an undisclosed time.

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Speeder
    Just for shits and giggles.

What if I brought my lawyers in on this deal?

I know I signed up in time (and my hard drive will confirm it) , and per the original post on this thread, I am DUE a spot, semantics be damned.

I know it is against the SS ethos, (yeah, that's laughable), but is there such a thing in this day and age?

IMO the organizers should have chosen their words and actions far more wisely.

Anyways, the organizers should feel free to PM me before my attorneys contact them.

Rock on,
    JS

My apologies...

I guess I'm a mean drunk

Hell, I don't even know any lawyers. I guess that was my last ditch effort to get a spot, 'cause dammit, I'm a contender, and I wanted in.

Oh well.

Mike Ferrentino says #351 is for douchebags.

Well, it depend on if I'm winning my State Series against geared riders, don't have the $$$ for a trip to Cali, or would rather contest the Colorado State SS Championships on the same weekend, but I'm not gonna leave that option off of the table.

If the organizers are willing to pick and choose based on who-knows-what, and send out disingenuous emails, then I am more than willing to poach their race, and try to win the damn thing.

JS

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MtotheF

Maybe it is old age making stuff up in my memory banks, but don't I recall a "Grimy Handshake" about poaching races?

Ah hell I really wanted to just lurk in this thread and bask in its doucebaggery, but it seems this post would seem to provide me with a little bag o'douce all my own.

For what it is worth I sincerely hope the organizers of SSWC never post on this thread again. They have no reason to defend themselves against this blather.

Carry on.

Jan 2008

In

Don't exactly know why, or how. I pushed the button at 30 to 40 seconds after.

Maybe it's my hazel eyes, they are sexier you know.

Who knows? But I am in and I am going. If I hadn't gotten in, that would have been OK too, lots of other options.
    That's the benefit of having more than one type of bike in the stable...just do something else.

Cheers,
    Ron
    InfoVista Cycling Team
    www.ebcyclist.org
    http://armaments.blogspot.com/

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005

bags of douche for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by eMcK
    Maybe it is old age making stuff up in my memory banks, but don't I recall a "Grimy Handshake" about poaching races?

Ah hell I really wanted to just lurk in this thread and bask in its doucebaggery, but it seems this post would seem to provide me with a little bag o'douce all my own.

For what it is worth I sincerely hope the organizers of SSWC never post on this thread again. They have no reason to defend themselves against this blather.

Carry on.
    hmmmm, probably not quite. there have been some guilty as charged statements about poaching trails, and some relatively non-judgemental observations about others poaching races, but i've tried to steer clear from that whole line of inquisition.

i think. but hell, old age has addled the memory at this end pretty completely...

Birthday Collector
    Hmmmm.... My post the other day about entering as "#351" wasn't so much about poaching as it was about promoting the anarchist atmosphere of the original SS-style races - "no eff'ing limits" on contestants or spectators, etc... Whoever shows up races. I have put on events, and had a limit of 600 riders at one of them - and that was an insane number of people to manage. FTF with a limit of 300 because that was the maximum group that the park could handle insurance-wise. I would be willing to lay down money that if the promoters here had been given a limit of 450, that is how many registrants they would have taken. So - if any of us do show up with #351 on our paper plates - ride up to the sign-in and drop 'em a check for whatever the entrance fee is - or maybe even better yet - drop off a case of good beer on the table and go get in your place at the back of the start pack! If you can win from the back of 350 riders, you ARE a stud. (Wouldn't it be cool if the "351" crowd brought enough beer to party the entire place down? Racers, spectators, organizers, rangers...)
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09

Jan 2004
    Kudos to that scalawag ATBScott, he/she really knows what a singlespeed race/event is or should be all about!!!

Paper plates with 351, ya just gotta love it!

Real beer comes form a keg by the way...is there such thing as a decent bitter in these Unites States?

Maluhia ...

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    Got my rejection letter yesterday. Not surprised or overly concerned. I can think of a lot better ways to spend the coin to get out to cali.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I really have to question the entry protocols for this thing. Who decides this is the world championships of SS? Not sure how you can call this event anything but a party. Certainly not a world championship if you open/close and gauge entries based strictly on timing - and not accurate timing at that. Look at any legitimate championship level race (e.g. Ironman, Western States, USCF Nats, Norba Nats, etc) and there is either a selection process, qualifying standards, or lottery for entry slots. Billy Von Erbensteiniaksy doesn't just sit patiently by the computer, sipping mai tais until the strike of 12:02:37 and then hit the send button to get into the World Cyclocross Championships.

Why not show up and volunteer to help? Then you will have an opportunity to learn about the culture of the "race". I know in State College they could have used all the help available. Mothers and children were probably scarred for life from the sights and sounds of how ever many SS'ers were there. The Stockholm race was a loop with a beer stop and some great guys working the course. It was definately a different atmosphere there. I missed Scotland due to having a damn Masters Thesis to defend, but i will be in Napa. Not racing, volunteering, riding, and just taking it all in.

P.S. If you care about such things, Surly gives away a frame to one of the volunteers. So there is some incentive if need it.
    Last edited by agentorangemen; 01-07-2008 at 09:05 PM.

Jan 2008

only thoughts

"about professionalism: yes, pro racers can come and win it. but the whole reason this came about in the first place was to get away from the moribund joyless officialdom that was part and parcel of racing in the late 90s. pros could come and race, but nobody, NOBODY, expected a race that was run professionally. they expected slack timing, good beer, and fun. THAT was the reason."

I have waited to post, which was probably a good thing..... Of course I am yet another denied contestant because I apparently registered on time, but that isn't how they're choosing entrants. it is OBVIOUS that this race is not respecting the order of registration and entrants. Whatever.

What I see now is the loss of the whole point. Penn was a good event, and it seems each subsequent time it's in the US, the registration fills up quickly. Not in 5 seconds like this year, but still alot faster than when it's somewheres overseas. (i'm american). The problem is the BS. There's alot of upset racers that really want in because they think this a serious event that might mean something on their resume. It's basically a joke, and a chance to have a fun (and tough) event that isn't NORBA or UCI or sanctioned. Wear a costume, drink some beers, ride fast with a bunch of kids on SS. That's the point.
    So, when this year Napa somehow becomes the event sponsor, then kind of rigs the registration in favor of whoever, it kind of ruins the fun for me. Australia was a blast, Sweden was great. Pennsylvania was fun, but there was way too many lycra team kits, and the vibe was of just another pro type event.BORING. I think there was only three of us in costume that year.
    Regardless, it is still going to be a good time. I have thought back and forth of even showing up since I supposedly can't race. And there's alot of bitter blood out there about registration. But then I think back to what the point is. Every year I have gone, I meet new people, and some of the same old faces, and I get to ride for days on end with a bunch of fun people on new trails on SINGLESPEEDS!! So of course I'll come, and I'll have fun riding, and more than likely, some of the chosen few with the golden tickets won't be there, so some spots will open up. And if I miss a spot still, then maybe I'll volunteer, or maybe I'll be a douchebag poacher and ride the race anyways, naked. Because it'll be fun.
    Last edited by number351; 01-10-2008 at 05:33 AM.

Pedal smarter, not harder
    May 2007
    I entered this "race" because I did it in '02 and there were no guys like you riding in it. Wankers like you are why I got out of the bike biz. Maybe you should stick to the "real" races with all your wanker pals. BTW I sent mine in at 12:00 and I didn't get in, but I'm still going down there to have a great time, while you will be out "training" somewhere. GET A LIFE.

Jan 2008
    who're you yellin at tony?

Pedal smarter, not harder
    May 2007
    All the winers, but G-man 2 days ago was the one that got me going.

Birthday Collector
    Quote Originally Posted by number351
    And if I miss a spot still, then maybe I'll volunteer, or maybe I'll be a douchebag poacher and ride the race anyways, naked. Because it'll be fun.
    Uhhhh... Did you miss the post earlier where they mentioned all the Poison Oak? You might want to reconsider the naked thing at this place! (Unless you plan on staying passed-out drunk for about 3 weeks after the race!)
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09

mtbr member

there was no fix

"As for my quote about Napa even being the sponsor, watch the video. That would be Durango on the LEFT. Notice the faster spin time, faster beer chug, and he definitely leads the dance off. So why is it in Napa? I guess because being a sponsor and frame contributor you get to pull some strings. Go figure. See you in Cali."

who are you 351?

i am the person who held both curtis' and max's arms as the crowd shouted for the winner of that comp...the shout was louder for napa...that *is* the way it was.
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I'm thinking about all the lovely USA riders I know - it's helping me through the mire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biff

I'm thinking about all the lovely USA riders I know - it's helping me through the mire.
    For anyone wondering why it's important for foreign entrants to have a good impression of USA riders, read DrJon's post above.

The event location are thinned out by contest, but the contest is finalised by public acclaim.

After reading all the whining drivel from the petulant types, how many are going to think twice before shouting for the USA to get it again?

Category Winner

After reading all the whining drivel from the petulant types, how many are going to think twice before shouting for the USA to get it again?
    If I win the drunken pillow fight on Sunday I will make sure no one is happy in 2009.
    $600 entry fee.
    Everyone gets in.
    I'm just gonna invite everyone to the Pisgah National Forest, get them in a parking lot, and yell "GO!" as I drive away.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Jan 2004
    For anyone wondering why it's important for foreign entrants to have a good impression of USA riders, read DrJon's post above.

The event location are thinned out by contest, but the contest is finalised by public acclaim.

Dude if thats really a concern of yours perhaps at the race your volunteer job could be like the 'Kmart Greeter" for the SSWC....you could provide our foriegn dignataries with directions...give them a nice Miller Lite, show them were the privies are located etc, etc,etc

Is it we petulant types that make you so mawkish???

mtbr member
    Dude if thats really a concern of yours perhaps at the race your volunteer job could be like the 'Kmart Greeter" for the SSWC....you could provide our foriegn dignataries with directions...give them a nice Miller Lite, show them were the privies are located etc, etc,etc

Is it we petulant types that make you so mawkish???
    I'm not concerned at all. In fact it suits me much better if the race is held somewhere easier to reach.

What concerns me is that some bad losers are sh*tting in your country's nest and promising to spoil the event. I don't remember any of this vileness with previous SSWCs.

I think this means a lot of us will be very careful before supporting the USA again. (However I can only speak for myself)

I think you are ineffectually trying to say "Up yours", so the compliment is returned, but instead of attacking me, why not consider the consequences of a spoilt event?
    Last edited by Velobike; 01-08-2008 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Ahh heck I did not get in and I am a true bad ass but......

Ok just kidding I am not a bad ass. But I will try and be there and have fun the entire week and support the event with a keg of beer from Kona Bicycles. Why not? These guys are doing what they can. It is just a fun event. I was at PA and so hungover I basically crawled the initial run start and then crawled through the woods with my head just beating out a drum solo through the rocks and all of the damn bee stings. But it was one of the best times I have had at an event. Even if i did not race in PA it still would have been a damn good time. Stop whining and come ride your single speed. Trails are great and the people will be fun to be around. Americans are not all bad. Damn you Namrita & Eddie O'dea. SO

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    As for my quote about Napa even being the sponsor, watch the video. That would be Durango on the LEFT. Notice the faster spin time, faster beer chug, and he definitely leads the dance off. So why is it in Napa? I guess because being a sponsor and frame contributor you get to pull some strings. Go figure. See you in Cali.

whoa there! do you base all of your sweeping accusations based on youtube videos?

here's how it actually happened (you'll have to imagine the scene for yourself or draw some pictures for the bits the youtube video misses).

we decided on the contest about 10 minutes before it kicked off. the only bits we had sorted in advance were:
    1) 1 x bottle of the cheapest whisky known to man
    2) 2 x roller bikes
    3) for it to be a bit of a laugh

Ten people put themselves forward, nine Americans and one European. Two groups had been in touch a number of times about hosting '08 - Durango and Napa - we set these two off against each other.

The contest was:
    1) 500m on roller bikes
    2) big shot of rough arse whisky
    3) highland fling

exhibit a - the youtube video. notice that the judges don't have clipboards or timing devices - our only equipment was an old school bell and a strong desire to nip off for a pint and a nap.

after the performances the judges then retired to a safe distance, realised they had no way to measure success or failure, but that the last two seemed to put a bit more gusto into their performance and get the best laughs. Jon suggested that we put it to the masses (the right way to sort it) and the baying crowd seemed to cheer harder for Napa than Durango. perhaps the crowd were in on it too?

if you think this should have been judged by officials in blazers then you're as far off the mark as the bawbags who've posted about "entry protocols", pre-qualifying, overseers and assorted other whinges in these threads on MTBR in the last couple of days.

aka baycat
    Ok, who the **** skipped their prescription!

Jan 2004
    I'm not concerned at all. In fact it suits me much better if the race is held somewhere easier to reach.

What concerns me is that some bad losers are sh*tting in your country's nest and promising to spoil the event. I don't remember any of this vileness with previous SSWCs.

I think this means a lot of us will be very careful before supporting the USA again. (However I can only speak for myself)

I think you are ineffectually trying to say "Up yours", so the compliment is returned, but instead of attacking me, why not consider the consequences of a spoilt event?

I really, really find it hard to believe that you or anyone would be offended by such innocuous banter....

Besides its necessary and part of the process and if its not done then we will have the same lame registration process again....Consider it feedback, nothing more nothing less.

By the way, I liked your ..."up yours" with smile....

Jan 2008

Dear Jon

So sorry to have started all that.Although I will keep my anonymity for know, I will say that we know each other...
    Kind of a bad example of how the rumors and assumtions get started. Sure, you wonder how hosting gets awarded. Sure, many are wondering how registration got so mucked up. It is what it is. I'd like to see it somewhere new besides Cali again, but here we go. I'm sure the well known Californian frame builder Curtis had way more screaming fans on his side than the unknown Max from Colorado. That's where the decision got made (even though Max is a better dancer!)
    As for registration, well, who knows. I'm sure it's not some secret government plot, suspicious as it may look. I don't agree with the idea of holding back spots for pros, they should register just like everyone else, damn their credentials. We all know they're fast, they got a team and sponsorships to prove it. And maybe there's a really good explanation why many 'normal' riders got the 'dear jon' letter. It's water under the bridge.

I'd just like to see all the training lycra clad racers move on to something else. Just take the serious vibe and call NORBA and get a real regulated event set up so they can say they are king (or queen). Get a medal and a pat on the back. Just like all the other regulated 'pro' races. Big entry fee and your name in lights, yeah.

THIS race though, is well described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_...d_Championship

You ride for the Tattoo. You ride because you want to see that crazy friend of yours from Scotland, or Sweden, or somewhere. You do it because you want to see 400 singlespeeds go out on a group ride together (ok, slight exaggeration). You do it for the fun and the beer and the good time. You do it to see the guy from Norway win. That's pretty much it. You don't shave your legs (unless you like to ). Your 'training' includes riding your bike (for fun, hopefully for hours on end), drinking with your friends, and daydreaming about the one week of the year when you will get to see all those beautiful people again.

So, with that, sorry again for being the proverbial thorn, or whatever, but to all those jilted by registration, just show up. To all those who are serious and want to prove they are the fastest MF out there, find something serious, leave us alone. To all those that could care less, see you there. I'll be the naked guy who is covered with poison oak blisters. HEE HEE.

Last edited by number351; 01-08-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Jan 2008

Solution

So, I think I have a solution for registrations to come.

Once a host is named, and website established, and event date planned, they post the time and date and location on the internet.

We all see it.

Registration is 5p.m., the night before the race. If you're there, you can register. 2/3 of the field is reserved for international, the other 1/3 for nationals. If, after XXp.m., the international slots aren't full, then the remaining standing nationals are allowed to register.

That should please everyone, you never know you're in until you get your papers signed over a tall glass of beer.

S*
    Last edited by number351; 01-08-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by number351
    ........long quote.......
    is this your way of saying you're slow?..........

Jan 2008
    slow as you i guess...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    You know you're in.
    You're money.

BooYah Grandma!

You better watch out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    This is gross. But funny. Please stop. Everyone was invited whether they got in or not. so that Technically means everyone is in. Except there will be no insurance for the 351 racers.
    And to Mr. #351. Your memory about the Penn race is about as good as people's memory of last years weather.
    There were a lot of costumes. Jean Shorts, gold lame', wigs. It was funny that there were so many full kits there, but everyone and there mother is a single speeder on the east coast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0