SSWC Roll call??? What gear ya gonna run?- Mtbr.com
    I like to ride bikes!

SSWC Roll call??? What gear ya gonna run?

I cant believe nobodys been buzzin on this board?
    I'm goin, donno what gear to run, never been there. I hope to preride the race course on Sat.

Come on shout out!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

why?

there are too many trails here to not try and ride as many different rides as you can...just my thoughts...then again- what do I know

Witty McWitterson
    He. I was thinking about posting this same thing.

I'll be runnin' the same ol same ol. 32-20. I figure I'll be walking a bunch, so why change out for the riding parts?

Who's all going, and what're you riding? That's what I want to know.

Hunter 29" w/a white Bros fork is my rig of choice for the weekend.
    Just a regular guy.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog
    I'm goin, donno what gear to run, never been there. I hope to preride the race course on Sat.

Come on shout out!!!
    Hey we will be there. Look for the big white Ford Van that says 'Tony's Plumbing and Heating' on the sides (total stealth used van!). If you have a sticker, bring it and I will put it on the back, Tony needs more stickers! Just don't cover up the 'I love Antarctica' sticker. Or I will have to make another trip down there to pick one up.

I usually wear replica Italian soccer jerseys ($10 a piece on the street in Rome!) and hopefully Scott will have my bike back together by then: a converted Merlin. Scott will hopefully have his new ride completed, a custom Gunnar 29er fixie in 'Bamboo' color. It replaces his stolen Black Gunnar. I always run 34:18. Last year I put it at 32:18 for some rides. I couldnt really tell the difference. Scott runs something similar on his fixed gear, when corrected for the big wheels. At least we spin at the same speed on the rides to the trailhead.

Hey Eroman and other local yokels: any suggestions for rides on Saturday? We are driving through the night on Friday. So something for bleary eyed peoples.

Looking forward to it!
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

what a question? asking for race tactics??

38:17

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog

Come on shout out!!!
    Not sure what frame it'll be attached to, but white Flite saddle and white Oury grips on Jones bars. (Probably green KM, but *maybe* a ti 29er frame.) Oh yeah, 32x20.

Flippin'pino sporting a butt-ugly Fu Manchu.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by mp29k
    38:17
    You win!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

formerly Giantxc
    I'll be there:
    Riding - Blue Haro SSX, Spicer Ti fork, bar ends, running 33x19
    Wearing - City Bikes Jersey

So will Triscuit (who I don't think hangs out on this board):
    Riding - a singulated yellow Haro with a Red Manitou SX, running 34x22 (I think, she's new to SS).
    Wearing - Probably also a City Bikes Jersey

R I D E S T E E L
    i generally run a 36 x 16 or so, unless riding somewhere hilly. i've been told the trails are pretty tough with some tough climbing and tons of rocky sections, so i'll be pushing a 34 x 18 and hoping to stay upright.

i was talking with one guy who lived out there for a while, and he said he wouldn't shy away from body armor. any thoughts on this? seems a bit crazy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ughhhh

that'd be good for you.....or not.our trails are challenging but lets be real for a second. we all ride them with different levels of sucess and so will many of you. just run the gear you usually do and enjoy. some girl is gonna blow past you, you'll fall a few times, and you'll have stories for years. Gezzzz....can't we all just ride and smile?

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by one1spede
    i was talking with one guy who lived out there for a while, and he said he wouldn't shy away from body armor. any thoughts on this? seems a bit crazy.
    Official uniform of SSWC05

SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

hey eroman !

yo buddy thanx a ton for puttin this together. lookin forward to it.

like the other poster suggested, could you or another local throw a quick 411 on one or three of these other trails to go check out, if we get there a day or two early / stay late ?

if yer too busy, that's cool too.

anyway, the daughter and i will be there - ridin old pastel colored ibis's with drop bars. say "hey" when ya pass us !! martini and the rest of ya'll, too

dunno on the gear thing. i think maybe lower than we use in wisconsin, eh ??

put it this way, what will the top ten guys be riding ?? i'll go like three teeth under that.
    Last edited by mon t; 08-11-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by ERoman
    ...can't we all just ride and smile?
    Yes we can. But we'd all also like the get to the finish line before 3:30 when the go kart qualifiers start!

I'll be riding my black MonoCog with the silver X-Fly, and I'll probably be running 32x18. Been trying out 34x18, and it's a little stout for the longer climbs. If I'm reading the map correctly, we've got three climbs of 1000 feet each. I'd like to climb as many of those feet as possible. 34x20 or 32x20 might be in order. We'll see come race day.

Fall a few times? I've been practicing my Rassmusens. It won't be a problem.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Haven't ridden the course but....

I've ridden in the area a few times on some of the same trails and will either run a 34 x 20 or 34 x 19 on my 29er. I rode over some of the course a few weeks ago during the Wilderness 101 and would say that the fire road/double track climbs aren't real steep but you might find yourself grinding up a constant grade for a good bit of time. Some of the roads have alot of loose gravel and it is hard to find solid traction at times - especially when you are passing people. I'm going to be running my Exiwolf up front with a rigid fork. There are enough rocks around to want some cushion (I don't own a front shock and would probably run one if I had one). Even the fast double track can bounce you around a bit because of the rocky sections. I don't know much about what tires work well for gravel. I ran a Nanoraptor in the back and it worked as well as I could expect a tire to grip. State College is a cool town. I'd say the area has a subtle beauty to it - not real big mountains but the full range from evergreen forests, northern hardwood forest, to even a fairly large upland bog region - Bear Meadows.

passenger/engine

What?!

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Official uniform of SSWC05

No codpiece?
    "Look for your breath; it's always there... Make friends with your breath." Thannisaro Bhikku

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Ride a gear you can climb with!

I was lucky enought o get a preview of the course a couple of weeks ago. At the time i was running a 34 x 18 on a 26" bike. I will be going a bit easier for the event. The climbs are very very long with a couple of steeper kicks thrown in. My advice is to go one gera easier than you normally run.

See you there
    www.bikesandbeer.com

no fat chicks
    i want to know how much of the course is logging road and how much is singletrack
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    i want to know how much of the course is logging road and how much is singletrack
    Take a look at the map (and legend)... it seems to provide these details.

bb

voodoo child

thread drift

" the daughter and i will be there - ridin old pastel colored ibis's with drop bars."

Man, that just seems so cool on so many different levels.
    Last edited by pauly; 08-12-2005 at 08:51 AM.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Witty McWitterson
    geekin' out. A 'veiw' of the course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just a regular guy.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    geekin' out. A 'veiw' of the course.
    that picture makes it look like a golf course. where's my golf cart? and my gin and tonic?
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    Fall a few times? I've been practicing my Rassmusens. It won't be a problem.
    LOFL!

Jim

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    32x16, but i'll bring a 18 in case i'm going to have to walk too much. Anyone wanna pre-ride the course on saturday? Keep an eye open for the orange Kona Units! I just hope they arrive in one piece, plane leaves on monday and we'll have to do about 1200+ miles to get to State College (flying to Miami, always a good idea).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    You win!
    in response to someone planning to run a 38:17

IMHO a 38:17 should be close to what the winner will be running. I’ve lived in State College for six years and know the course well. There are plenty of flat/rolling single track sections that will allow strong and skilled riders to spin out such a gear and pull away from the 36:18 folks. Maybe enough time so any advantage they have on the climbs will not be enough.

I have been running a 32 by 20 on a 29er all year. Now I am a spinner so I like low gears. For the race I am going to switch to a 32 by 18 or maybe, maybe a 16. There are many steep short, steep long and medium long climbs that I can barely handle with the 32 by 20. I am going no lower; I have no desire to destroy my knees competing in a race I have no chance of placing in the top 10%.

I rode the proposed course, not the final course, with a 32 by 20 Wednesday and a 32 by 18 Sunday. Wednesday it was about 70 degrees F, Sunday about 95 degrees F, I had three days rest before Sun and a tough ride the day before Wed.

I was dying Sunday, I nearly quit early. Of course two flats, one crash and three phone calls from my boss did not help. I had to walk the worse climb, 1.5 very steep miles, where as I never have before. On Wednesday I felt great, spun my gear out all the time I never walked a thing. Err.

Sunday my ride time was 2:57. Wed my ride time was 2:41. Actual time Sunday was more than one hour longer. On Wed maybe 20 min longer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853
    in response to someone planning to run a 38:17

IMHO a 38:17 should be close to what the winner will be running. I’ve lived in State College for six years and know the course well. There are plenty of flat/rolling single track sections that will allow strong and skilled riders to spin out such a gear and pull away from the 36:18 folks. Maybe enough time so any advantage they have on the climbs will not be enough.

I have been running a 32 by 20 on a 29er all year. Now I am a spinner so I like low gears. For the race I am going to switch to a 32 by 18 or maybe, maybe a 16. There are many steep short, steep long and medium long climbs that I can barely handle with the 32 by 20. I am going no lower; I have no desire to destroy my knees competing in a race I have no chance of placing in the top 10%.

I rode the proposed course, not the final course, with a 32 by 20 Wednesday and a 32 by 18 Sunday. Wednesday it was about 70 degrees F, Sunday about 95 degrees F, I had three days rest before Sun and a tough ride the day before Wed.

I was dying Sunday, I nearly quit early. Of course two flats, one crash and three phone calls from my boss did not help. I had to walk the worse climb, 1.5 very steep miles, where as I never have before. On Wednesday I felt great, spun my gear out all the time I never walked a thing. Err.

Sunday my ride time was 2:57. Wed my ride time was 2:41. Actual time Sunday was more than one hour longer. On Wed maybe 20 min longer.

So would 32x19 be the perfect gear on a 29er ??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by corner_stuffed
    So would 32x19 be the perfect gear on a 29er ??
    I bet it will be for seom one, maybe not for you and maybe not for me but who knows.

Below is a link to a list of bars. Not all of them though as Otto's aint there me thinks. But then agian I am a little drunk right now.

http://www.statecollege.com/business..._id=30&Index=B

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    34x22 on 29" wheels.

i'll be on a pretty damn big yellow waltworks. say hi and feel free to give a push (i need all the help i can get).

www.FreezeThaw.com
    May 2004

gearing and rides

everyone at Freeze Thaw rides a 34 x 18 for normal mtbing in central pa. some of the climbs might be easier with a 20 though, might want to have one on hand.

we are trying to organize a group night ride friday night, stay tuned to www.FreezeThaw.com and/or this forumfor details or stop by our shop to check out whats going on. we are located on the corner of Fraser St. and College Ave., in the basement. just look for the lime green sign and orange railing.

there is also talk of an alleycat sat night....details to follow

looking forward to some good old fashioned craziness in central pa with everyone

justin

Freeze Thaw Cycles
    recycled bicycles • sales and service
    100 S. Fraser St.
    State College PA
    www.FreezeThaw.com