SSWC 2011 Ireland who rode? Now with Video- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

SSWC 2011 Ireland who rode? Now with Video

Any of you guys make the trip across for this? What did you think?
    Last edited by MREGAN; 11-17-2011 at 08:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This is what you missed

<iframe height="224" src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28326322?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;c olor=fc575e" frameborder="0" width="398"></iframe>
    Last edited by MREGAN; 11-17-2011 at 08:55 AM.

holding back the darkness
    I was there....
    Well.. it was good. The town was awesome and the vibe was cool. I found Ireland to be completely welcoming and inviting, the people warm and friendly, and the Irish Summer to be more like a San Francisco winter.
    The Trails were actually really, really, good. Surprisingly so. It's different in Ireland. There are actually more trails to ride, but when you ask people for mountain bike trails they will either direct you to a "trail centre" like Ballyhoura, or to a paved walking path. There is a whole section of the country with some mtns with 7000ft of elevation change Northwest of Galway that I ran out of time trying to get to. Maybe next trip.
    The race itself was kind of a joke... somewhat intentionally, but also through a certain level of inexperience or possibly even incompetence on the part of the organizers (not hating, I think it was just bigger than they thought would happen..). The start was a cluster because they moved everyone's bikes into piles. I was pretty stoked when I found my custom Independent Fabrication with Freshwater pearl paint stacked into a pile of white bikes, random crank arms gouging my $200 paint job. There's a nice little down tube kiss for me to remember them by.
    They kept track of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place... everyone else be damned. I have no idea how I did or how long I took.
    There was no free beer. We rode from town to the race area, and when we got there the only beer was for purchase only. Which would have even been fine except that I didn't have any Euros. There weren't even any beer stops along the way.
    Race schwag was abyssmal. A godaweful blaze orange running shirt and a pair of goofy striped socks.

So while the event itself was a blast, the people were amazing, the details were lacking. And there was no beer. My $75 Euros (or whatever it cost) got me a t-shirt and some socks I'll never wear, no beverages, and no timing or race logistics.

But.... it was a good time, and that was worth the price of admission.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have you done any of the other races. This was my first so couldn't compare it. I have heard the beer stops in other races where set up by competitors as supposed to organisers? I am not sure if that is true or not.

Glad you enjoyed it despite getting your bike marked. I did wonder about the bike piles funny as it looked to me I didn't have a bike in that pile. Careful as the organisers may have been to place the bikes there it didn't stop people grabbing there's from three deep and pulling them
    Apart.

The riding in Ireland is amazing but as there isn't that many sanctioned trails people as you say don't know where to send you if you ask. Unless you hook up with a local or just head into the hills there is loads of options.

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver View Post
    I was there....
    Well.. it was good. The town was awesome and the vibe was cool. I found Ireland to be completely welcoming and inviting, the people warm and friendly, and the Irish Summer to be more like a San Francisco winter.
    The Trails were actually really, really, good. Surprisingly so. It's different in Ireland. There are actually more trails to ride, but when you ask people for mountain bike trails they will either direct you to a "trail centre" like Ballyhoura, or to a paved walking path. There is a whole section of the country with some mtns with 7000ft of elevation change Northwest of Galway that I ran out of time trying to get to. Maybe next trip.
    The race itself was kind of a joke... somewhat intentionally, but also through a certain level of inexperience or possibly even incompetence on the part of the organizers (not hating, I think it was just bigger than they thought would happen..). The start was a cluster because they moved everyone's bikes into piles. I was pretty stoked when I found my custom Independent Fabrication with Freshwater pearl paint stacked into a pile of white bikes, random crank arms gouging my $200 paint job. There's a nice little down tube kiss for me to remember them by.
    They kept track of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place... everyone else be damned. I have no idea how I did or how long I took.
    There was no free beer. We rode from town to the race area, and when we got there the only beer was for purchase only. Which would have even been fine except that I didn't have any Euros. There weren't even any beer stops along the way.
    Race schwag was abyssmal. A godaweful blaze orange running shirt and a pair of goofy striped socks.

So while the event itself was a blast, the people were amazing, the details were lacking. And there was no beer. My $75 Euros (or whatever it cost) got me a t-shirt and some socks I'll never wear, no beverages, and no timing or race logistics.

But.... it was a good time, and that was worth the price of admission.
    sounds lame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cr45h View Post
    sounds lame.
    I agree. I would LOVE to go and do the World Championships and see how I fare against worldly competition. Not providing results is piss poor. If I'm going to spend that kind of money traveling, shipping my bike, AND registering for the race, I'd want a few more perks.
    MCH Co-Captain

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Right, having raced at and even organised the worlds (and Euros) in the past I actually missed this one but a couple of points:

Placings - Singlespeed races have always just had 1st/2nd/3rd - all others joint 4th. Some only had a winner and lots of 2nd places! If you want an exact placing, lap splits etc... the SSWC / SSEC etc are not for you.

Bike piles - remember when s/s were junk bikes and not $$$$ blingmobiles? Does paint make it ride better? Accept that nothing is permenant and s**t will happen even to $200 paint (damn some of bike bikes cost less than that!)

No beer stop - only an issue if you were not carrying a few beers yourself, oh, sorry, you were "racing"...seems at odds with the wanting placings.

The other stuff, well you are not going to please all the people all the time but these guys seemed to have pleased no one for a big chunk of the time. T-shirt is lame (friend brought me one back), prize giving hidden, pre-race party before people were told to be there etc...

But based on your comments you would have hated Minneapolis and Berlin...

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    No Beer Damn that'a kinda of slap in the face, Where is the 2012 SSWC gonna be?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    2012 is in South Africa. There was plenty of beer and as the course was two laps the half way point just happened to pass the beer tent. I think the issue was there was no advertising to tell us the beer tent would be there and a lot of people rode to the start with no Money.

Thanks for the comparison to other years s.s.punk I think that highlights that the organisers went along with the norm. I heard this was the general way these races went.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would have no interest in a beer stop during the race but results are a must, even if I only finish in the 25th percentile.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    race results beyond first aren't for SSWC. If you don't get it.. then oh well. Lack of beer is a much bigger foul.

miwuksurfer
    Man, showing up at a race of this magnitude without beer for you and your friends definitely shows a lack of foresight.

aka baycat
    Wait! No beer or even whiskey? We are talking about Ireland the country, right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There was beer and wiskey and dancing. The issue some people say was there was no beer hidden around the course. I heard from other years it was competitors that hid the beer and not the organisers.

Here is the Beer Check this video out from the party before the race 3:50 onwards

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hWf0qWNevXE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>