Is SSt. George/GooSSeberry MeSSa SS-able?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Is SSt. George/GooSSeberry MeSSa SS-able?

Heading there the endo of April for a week of biking and seeing Zion/Bryce Nat'l Parks. Has anyone SS'd the Mesa?
    I really wanna bring the BrewSSki but remembering Porcupine Rim in Moab makes me pause. High elevations and fast VERY rocky descents call for more s'pension than just a 3" gazzy will give me.
    What's it REALLY like there! Who Knows?

thanks
    bob
    http://red-haze.com

Recovering Weight Weenie
    It'ss plenty SSable.
    It was ridden last May with my good SS buddy Wayne on his rigid 1x1. He loved it and was smokin' fast with everyone else.
    The gearies never get a chance to use their big gears since it's so up and down and the ups are always short and usually steep so it's kinda fun to power up 'em.
    I would never SS at Goose myself since all the ledges and drop offs are WAY too tempting for me. I fear my 29er SS would fold in half. I save the Bullit for Gooseberry but it's VERY ss-worthy..maybe even fun??

I know Hugh has SS'd it too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    Heading there the endo of April for a week of biking and seeing Zion/Bryce Nat'l Parks. Has anyone SS'd the Mesa?
    I really wanna bring the BrewSSki but remembering Porcupine Rim in Moab makes me pause. High elevations and fast VERY rocky descents call for more s'pension than just a 3" gazzy will give me.
    What's it REALLY like there! Who Knows?

thanks
    bob
    http://red-haze.com
    At the risk of angering SS purists. I'd say you could do it on a SS, but if you've got a geared FS bike bring it. If a SS is all you've got you'll still have fun, but a FS is the hot-ticket at Gooseberry.

My gearie is a Marin Mt. Vision Pro, pretty good all-arounder 4" front, 4" rear, and I consider it the ideal bike for trails like Gooseberry and Moab. I was in Gooseberry for a weekend last April and brought both the Marin and my rigid 1x1. The Surly stayed in the back of the truck all weekend. Had we had one more day there I probably would have taken it out on at least one loop. But time was limited and I was just having too much fun hucking the Marin around, and grinding up short-steep rock pitches in granny-gear...

-Trevor

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Great fun on the SS. One of my top SS trails in fact (though normally that would require some good climbing and descending). I may not have had the bottle for some of the steep little slick rock ups, but a strong and confident rider would eat them up.
    Wibble

Your bike sucks
    I've ridden there quite a few times. If you are typically a SS rider, I can see no reason why you would switch bikes to ride there. It's a fun ride but pretty tame in terms of pounding descents or hard climbs. Flat, rolling terrain on some slickrock and singltrack. There are freqent short, steep ups (10-20ft). Very enjoyable in a non-threating kind of way. I go there when ever I'm in town or (more likely) passing through.

Moderator Moderator
    I did it with my rigid 29"er and Salsa Bell Lap drops last year (it did have gears though.)

I can tell you I would have killed to swap for 1 gear and flat or riser bars...those drops were tough and I got a lot of crazy looks for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the great info!

I'm pretty sure I'll just bring the BrewSSki, probably keep the gearing at 34:20. Will attempt to self limit drops to 2 feet or less...3" Front Gazzi will get some wear I'm sure...

thanks again, hope to get some great pics to share wit ya'll!

bob

Jed Peters
    2:1 gearing was fine at gooseberry.

It's all flat.

Near Bryce

Check out Thunder Mountain / Red Canyon too ! That's a great ride.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    2:1 gearing was fine at gooseberry.

It's all flat.
    That's a really sweet pic.

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrab
    That's a really sweet pic.
    More here:

http://www.petefagerlin.com/fftf03.htm

Gimme dat!!

Gooseberry is great on SS

I live in Las Vegas and have gotten a couple of my law school buddies to build SS bikes and I have taken them to the mesa...they both loved it. In addition, you should consider Little Creek Mesa in the area, it is easy to lose your way but well worth the effort.

Bottom line. A couple of years ago I had a Voodoo Canzo Ti and my SS and I rode both of them there and have since gotten rid of the Voodoo because the SS was the real feel there as it is everywhere and I would highly recommend it.

For info on Little Creek, check out www.utahmountainbiking.com.