SSnow Ride- Mtbr.com

Thread: SSnow Ride

JRA
    mtbr member

SSnow Ride

Nothing like what the rest of the country is dealing w/ on a regular basis but we had some convergence zone snow visit the Seattle area last evening. It happened to coincide w/ my regular weeknight mountain bike ride so I suited up w/ the proper riding accoutraments and headed out into the snow.

The loop we normally do is about 20 miles long and rambles through the suburban lands near Redmond, WA. Its has some pavement "trail" riding, a bunch of doubletrack and a few sections of neighborhood singletrack. It follows three utility corridors but the biggest appeals, besides the fact that it starts and ends at Redhook Brewery, is the fact that its a good dirt training ride and that I don't have to drive to it.

Right off the bat, one of the other riders w/ me blew his chain apart. We forgave him, because he was on a geared bike and doesn't know any better, and then proceeded to help him fix the chain. No mechanical problems after that. Snow fell pretty regular through the whole ride and was starting to accumulate some in open areas. It amused me, and sort of ticked me off at the same time, that my new helmet light was totally useless in those conditions. In fact, it made visibility worse even at the lowest setting. Instead, the 13 year old 6W Turbocat bar light saved the day. Got to love equipment that just keeps working and working.

Normally we stop after the ride and have some food and libations at Redhook. Last night I decided to just ride directly home. When I got to our apartment, I had my wife grab the camera and snap a shot of snow covered me. After cleaning up, I looked like I had this massive 3rd degree sunburn after the shower. Built myself up a big plate of beans w/ chips and a glass of red wine to finish off the evening.

I'm telling you ... nothing better than a ride w/ a chance to make powder 8's to put a great big grin on your face.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You......

You look like a kid again!

FMTCD
    Mar 2007
    Thats hardcore dude!
    Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer.

mtbr member

i agree

riding in the snow is a huge kick in the pants. and singlespeeding is built for snow rides. one of my SS bikes is dedicated to snow rides all winter long. home-made studded tires. gear ratios don't really matter much at all because you're not going for speed anyway. i go fixed and brakeless and it feels like four wheel drive. best when the snow is powder because you can plow through some mighty deep snow, way past pedal deep, and send it flying.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

... and if we just ... ...

this is a pic from my last ride (a week b4 a trainee wrecked me as i slept,puttin me outta commision for gorsh knows how long ).i have a cheezy cheap digicam,and took somewhere around 25 pix,a lot of it was 3-6" of virgin snow,which was anywhere the sun couldn't easily melt it off,but they "whited out",this was 1 of only 3 that took,the best of those.wasn't as hardcore or (ahem) cool a ride as yers,but the closest i've had to a snow ride this winter (mostly due to work).i LOVE ridin when the snow's fallin,specially at nite,even more specially w/ a bunch of "fair weather riders".enjoyed yer pic/story,man,have sum more good rides b4 winters gone .
    man,i wanna go ridin so bad i can almost taste the mud,but haven't got healed up enuff to see just 1 trail (what was that song from the 80's bout double vision?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Pretty cool stuff.

Here are a couple of shots I took with my phone Feb 19 & 20 in Maryland. I'm about 20 miles West of Baltimore and the conditions combined to make for incredible riding. We had 5 or 6 inches of snow, followed up by freezing rain and then about a week of single digit and sub-20's temps to freeze it up into a nice crust.

Normally around here, you just can't ride with over just a few inches of snow, especially with a SS, but it was like riding on pavement! Surreal actually, because you could ride anywhere you wanted to. We basically stuck to the trail route, but you could just head off into the woods where you normally wouldn't even think of going, and just swoop around! The downhills were kind of like a bob sled run with banking etc. Grip was amazing with no studs, just regular tires, climbing, turning or stopping. Wierd thing was when you tried to walk, you would slide. My buddy fell and slid about 25ft before grabbing a tree. In certain sections it could get ugly if you fell, but I'm here to say it was friggin' AWESOME!!

Rock gardens didn't exist because they were filled in and smoothed over. I made a couple of technical climbs that I had never made before because it was just a smooth ramp instead of rocks, roots etc. to negotiate.

It was totally sick and I hope it happens again next year!!

The attached pics weren't taken with showing off my bike in mind. Next time... But notice that the bike is ON the snow, not in it... Yeah... next year...

Members who have read this thread: 0