Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    26

    SSing XTR 985 cranks

    Hey everyone

    Sorry if this has already been asked. I searched, but nothing came up.

    Would I be able to remove the outer chainring of a XTR 985 crankset to use on a singlespeed?

    I plan on going to gears soon after a SS race, and want to use the same cranks

    thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    253
    You could even leave on the outer chainring. It wont hurt a thing, your cranks will just look funny.
    I repair Carbon Fiber frames.
    http://twobrotherscycleworks.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,735


    Courtesy of Home Brewed Components. Look for ISuckAtRiding's posts here in the SS forum and click on the link in his signature line.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  4. #4
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    thanks Brewtality.

    They make a great SS crankset, 645g as shown above, including external bottom bracket, 32t.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    118
    and, they're 104s right?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canonshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    348
    I would be interested in this as well. Does anyone know of how to get ahold of just the crank arms?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ne_dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by canonshooter
    I would be interested in this as well. Does anyone know of how to get ahold of just the crank arms?
    Yeah, buy crankset, remove chainrings, put said chain rings on ebay for $$$. Only problem is there probably isn't a big market for 985 chainrings yet.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: canonshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    348
    righteo....and that crankset is uber expensive!!!

  9. #9
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobslide
    and, they're 104s right?
    the m985 is 88bcd

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    the m985 is 88bcd
    oh yeah, but the 980s are 104? any other differences?

  11. #11
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobslide
    oh yeah, but the 980s are 104? any other differences?
    not that i know of, aside from the granny gear mounts, and probably the chainline as well.

  12. #12
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    164 mm Q on m985's
    170 mm Q on 980's

    Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

  13. #13
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,288
    quick question...

    would it better to use a single ring with standard chain rings bolts as shown above in the pic that Brewtality posted, or is there any benefit to using a single chainring with the torx bolts that come with cranks?

    I have a set of M980's I just converted to SS and am using the Torx bolts. They seem like they're easier to tighten with less chance of them coming loose, but WTF do I know. (plus I like the way the cranks look this way better).

    (ISAR will be ordering up some red chainrings from you for these very soon!)

    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    quick question...

    would it better to use a single ring with standard chain rings bolts as shown above in the pic that Brewtality posted, or is there any benefit to using a single chainring with the torx bolts that come with cranks?

    I have a set of M980's I just converted to SS and am using the Torx bolts. They seem like they're easier to tighten with less chance of them coming loose, but WTF do I know. (plus I like the way the cranks look this way better).
    Whether you are going with the standard chainring bolts or the torx bolts, the final tightening torque should be about the same. There is not asignificcant difference in size of the threads.
    I would go with the Torx bolts. There is more surface area in the torx interface for transferring torque from the torx bit to the bolt, when compared to an allen interface.
    So later on down the road, if you neglect the bolts a little too long, the torx will be less likely to round off when you are breaking the bolts loose.
    Just make sure you are using a high quality torx bit. Most torx bits at automotive parts stores are poorly made and too soft, causing them to round off easily with light use.


    But lets be honest here Tyrone, none of this matters as you will just end up breaking the crank arms themselves (or the BB spindle, or the chainring will fold in half )

    This is what Mr Shoe does to SS crank arms -
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  15. #15
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality
    This is what Mr Shoe does to SS crank arms -
    that was the 1st time I did it from this past Spring, which I believe was more of an instance of a chainring bolt coming loose at the wrong time (i.e. torquing down HARD when powering up a hill).....but have you seen the more recent example from a few weeks ago?

    thanks for the info on the Torx. That was my gut feeling, but just thought I'd throw it out here to if there was anything I was missing
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 01-30-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    that was the 1st time I did it from this past Spring, which I believe was more of an instance of a chainring bolt coming loose at the wrong time (i.e. torquing down HARD when powering up a hill).....but have you seen the more recent example from a few weeks ago?

    Common now, tell the truth. That chainring bolt simply gave up. It said NO MAS!! NO MAS!! And it jumped out of the crank arm.

    I have not heard about the latest incident. No very surprising really. I saw what an animal you were at the TBF race last week.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ronmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Common now, tell the truth. That chainring bolt simply gave up. It said NO MAS!! NO MAS!! And it jumped out of the crank arm.

    I have not heard about the latest incident. No very surprising really. I saw what an animal you were at the TBF race last week.
    Hey,

    does anybody know if ISuckAtRiding is still selling his chainrings ?
    if yes: are the also for 88bcd available ?
    thanks guys
    ron

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexCuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,281
    no!
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ronmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23
    Alex - thanks for the answer but please, be a bit more precise (?)

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexCuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,281
    Sorry I am suffering a bit of HBC burnout - if you search this forum for "Homebrew" there are several LONNNNNNG threads where people detail not receiving their product. One is keeping a tally of thousands of dollars that ISuckAtRiding owes people. I'm not sure I know enough about what went wrong to call him a crook, but I do wish that when he turned off orders on his website he had also removed the links to said site in his forum sig (or just taken the whole thing down) so that it wouldn't confuse people.

    I wonder if there's a way we could get admins here to at least remove the links?
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 7daysaweek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Sorry I am suffering a bit of HBC burnout - if you search this forum for "Homebrew" there are several LONNNNNNG threads where people detail not receiving their product. One is keeping a tally of thousands of dollars that ISuckAtRiding owes people. I'm not sure I know enough about what went wrong to call him a crook, but I do wish that when he turned off orders on his website he had also removed the links to said site in his forum sig (or just taken the whole thing down) so that it wouldn't confuse people.

    I wonder if there's a way we could get admins here to at least remove the links?
    I thought he was still selling just not delivering. Has he completely stopped selling them now?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ronmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23
    Did he sell 104 or 88mm bcd ?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SlowPokePete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    I thought he was still selling just not delivering. Has he completely stopped selling them now?
    You honed in directly on the problem.

    You can still buy one.

    But it will never be delivered.

    With that being the fact, definitely don't "buy" one.

    SPP
    Rigid.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexCuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,281
    last I read you can still start an order but not finish / pay. That was about when I figured good news would never come and I should stop reading.

    But yeah definitely don't buy one unless its off someone else on ebay, or the classifieds here
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    I just placed my order for a set this weekend and will be using it for SS. I ordered a chain ring from Warhawk and will be using the torx with caps like Tyrone's picture above for a clean look. Definitely looking forward to adding it with the Bushnell EBB I have sitting here!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by redrock_z71 View Post
    I just placed my order for a set this weekend and will be using it for SS. I ordered a chain ring from Warhawk and will be using the torx with caps like Tyrone's picture above for a clean look. Definitely looking forward to adding it with the Bushnell EBB I have sitting here!
    Did you order the XTR 980 or 985?

    I'm planning to order a Warhawk 32T ring for my 985. Do you know if the caps are available for the 985 cranks?

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977 View Post
    Did you order the XTR 980 or 985?

    I'm planning to order a Warhawk 32T ring for my 985. Do you know if the caps are available for the 985 cranks?
    I ordered the 985's. I'm trying the caps for the 980 to see if they work and will let you know if they do. I decided on a 33T as its more versatile in my area.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by redrock_z71 View Post
    I ordered the 985's. I'm trying the caps for the 980 to see if they work and will let you know if they do. I decided on a 33T as its more versatile in my area.
    Thanks, please update this thread when you know more...

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    338
    I'm running a set of 180mm m985s with a 30T ring. Just make sure u use a quality BB
    my CK ceramic is a lot smoother than the std shimano BB on a SS u will notice the differance

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977 View Post
    Thanks, please update this thread when you know more...

    The M980 caps wont work with the M985 at all. There's a pretty big difference in the overall size and shape. Here's a pic showing the difference. It's a little hard to tell the close up differences in the picture as I didn't take them out of the package so I can return them but the caps aren't wide enough and are slightly too long.


Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.