SSing in Australia?- Mtbr.com
    theHeadlessThompsonGunner

SSing in Australia?

I'm going to be spending most of this summer in Australia, split pretty much equally between Sydney City and Port Macquarie. (I live in Colorado.) Question #1: Should I take my bike? I can't imagine spending three months without it, but it's certainly another thing to worry about (and an expensive worry at that). How much riding will I find that's accessible without a car? Question #2: If yes, how? I hate UPS (too much travel btwn here and Calgary with my bike)--but I don't like airlines, either, and I don't own a travelling bike-case. Question #3: If no, how will I keep myself from self-destructive drinking?
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

singlespeed smash brother
    Bring the bike. If you don't have a car make friends by hooking up with the locals and I'm sure you can bum a ride. If you're staying in sydney you can catch the train to where ever you need to go and ride like the Blue mountains. If you stay in Manly you can ride the short loop around Manly dam which is nice and easy to get to. I'm a melbourne boy so I don't know sydney that well. But always travel with the bike other wize you'll go mad when you realize how much good riding there is to be had here.

Bring the bike in a cardboard bike box free from your LBS.

You cannot avoid the destructive drinking (He types while nursing a hangover.)

mtbr member
    Definitely bring your bike. In Sydney there are stacks of areas to ride. If you can, find accomodation away from the city centre, then it will be easy to get to the local trails. Though the trains do take to near any of the good areas. North there is Oxford Falls/Red Hill area (you will need a car for this area if you don't live nearby or just ride there), South there is Helensburg and some specific trails in the National Park. There is the Lane Cove Nat. Park which is kind of north west of CBD. West you have The Lower Blue Mountains and the Blue Mountains proper. When you get to Sydney go into a local bike shop and ask them for a trail book that has been published in the last year or so. It will give you the run down on most of the areas avaiable to ride. Any of the areas of bush in and around the city have trails in them, just be sure to check whether there are any 'Closed to bikes' trails, like anywhere where lots of people live we get the conflict issues as well. If you are keen to ride with people give me an email when you get here and I can hook you up with some people if I can't get out for one myself.
    'When he's not in action, he's in traction.'

From the land Down Under
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    I'm going to be spending most of this summer in Australia, split pretty much equally between Sydney City and Port Macquarie.
    The locals on the forum below should help you out. Offer to buy beer & you'll be right.

http://www.26inches.com/26inches/forum/
    or
    http://www.26inches.com/26inches/for....asp?ForumID=2

mtbr member
    or go to www.farkin.NET (don't forget the .NET or you will end up with another interesting site) and check out the forum there.
    'When he's not in action, he's in traction.'

theHeadlessThompsonGunner

Sweet.

Thanks ya'll. I'll be staying with my girlfriend (lives in Sydney for school/Port for home), and storage of my bike will be a bit of a problem, as will travelling with it, but I'm going to bring it anyway. I'll look you up when I get there!
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor