mtbr member

SS'in with gearies is not convenient

I find it hard to do group rides with my buddies when I'm on the ss and they are riding w/ gears.

Reason is is that here in the hill country (central TX) the climbs are short and steep. The guys with gears go up much slower than I do. The SS leaves you no choice if you want to make the climb. I have to plan ahead and start building momentum and keep it going until the top of the hill.

When I'm following other riders that are going slower I loose momentum and sometimes have to walk.

I have decided to stick to my fs xc bike for larger group rides and the ss for solo riding.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    When I'm following other riders that are going slower I loose momentum and sometimes have to walk.

I have decided to stick to my fs xc bike for larger group rides and the ss for solo riding.
    Or - make sure you ahead of them

Or yell.... "YOOOO SINGLESPEED COMING THROUGH"

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Or yell.... "YOOOO SINGLESPEED COMING THROUGH"
    I like to just crash into their rear end. Aim for the derailleur and soon enough everyone's on an SS.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Jabberwocky Jockey
    When I am riding with others with gears, they are accustomed to "my needs" and generally get out of the way.
    I think it's a matter of letting everyone in the group know that you can only go so slow on a climb and to let you by or like wooglin says, put 'em in the cheap seats .
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

Sofa King We Todd Did
    When I'm following other riders that are going slower I loose[sic] momentum and sometimes have to walk.
    I'm the one of my group to ride a singlespeed bike, and I've definitely experienced a lot of this, but until now never put it down to geared bikes. I simply always thought that the rider in front was simply slower going up the hill. And it's probably just me, but I always end up thinking, "Maybe I should've just hung back a bit more to give myself a bit of room going uphil so that I'm not running right into the back wheel of my buddy in front of me."

Probably drunk right now

Ding ding ding. Winner!

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I'm the one of my group to ride a singlespeed bike, and I've definitely experienced a lot of this, but until now never put it down to geared bikes. I simply always thought that the rider in front was simply slower going up the hill. And it's probably just me, but I always end up thinking, "Maybe I should've just hung back a bit more to give myself a bit of room going uphil so that I'm not running right into the back wheel of my buddy in front of me."

Group rides are rather fractured by their nature, so I tend to get in front of people when I can and slow down leading up to a hill to allow enough space for the rider in front of me.

Either that or I do as Wogg suggested and use their rear DR as a target to place my front tire.

Ken

the cool nerd
    If you like riding your SS, and you like doing these group rides, then just keep on doing them. With a little communication ssers and gearers can coexist!!

I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

I too SS with gearies and........

use this time as practice. So that when I race w/gearies I'll know when to
    hug their rear wheel setting up a pass and when to hang back so as not
    to get bogged down. SS is not only riding harder but smarter as well.

Veni Vidi Vici.
    "As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can."
    -- Julius Caesar

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Group rides are rather fractured by their nature, so I tend to get in front of people when I can and slow down leading up to a hill to allow enough space for the rider in front of me.

Either that or I do as Wogg suggested and use their rear DR as a target to place my front tire.

Ken
    Remembering to let a gap open helps. It can let you rest a bit for the grunt-of-a-climb. too.

THEN you yell "YOOOOO SS comin' through!" and aim the the rear derailleur!

Or you can go to the front and slow down your buddies in other places.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
    use this time as practice. So that when I race w/gearies I'll know when to
    hug their rear wheel setting up a pass and when to hang back so as not
    to get bogged down. SS is not only riding harder but smarter as well.

Veni Vidi Vici.
    I like this technique, too. Following another riders can keep me from pushing TOO hard on the climbs. Can save some energy for the steeper parts and jump by when I get a chance.
    mtbtires.com

hispanic mechanic

Not convenient, but fun.

Reason is is that here in the hill country (central TX) the climbs are short and steep. The guys with gears go up much slower than I do. The SS leaves you no choice if you want to make the climb. I have to plan ahead and start building momentum and keep it going until the top of the hill.

Hey, man! Don't give up riding a bike that you have fun on!
    I don't have a geared bike, so if I'm gonna do a group ride, I have to ride in harmony with geared riders. As aosty said, try being in front on the climbs. It can be tough, and sometimes you just gotta grunt out a climb without our friend Momentum.
    BTW, I'll be moving to San Antonio in 6 weeks so we'll have to get together and ride one-speeds!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    BTW, I'll be moving to San Antonio in 6 weeks :eek so we'll have to get together and ride one-speeds!

Yo Carlos:

Let's organize a FTL (farewell to Los) ride. We can even invite some gearies for you to harass. I know this chick that works for Ellsworth that might show up!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member

Chick??

That "chick" is worked! I'd rather tap a triathalon chick.
    It would've been nice to ride behind her instead just gazing at the pictures though.

Oh yeah, this is SS talk. You really do have MAKE your geared freinds aware that you require some consideration, not that your "special" but that they are slow ass slugs on the climbs and need to move to the side, "Tubbo".
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Yo Carlos:

Let's organize a FTL (farewell to Los) ride. We can even invite some gearies for you to harass. I know this chick that works for Ellsworth that might show up!

Waiting to exhale.
    LOL ! Do you guys really aim for rear derailers? Thats the funniest thing I've heard all day!

Bad news dudes, I've heard rumors that the ellsworth chick is into roadie guys and gears.....darn! Oh well, I guess there's other fish in the sea.
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 05-23-2005 at 06:40 PM. Reason: i kant' spel
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

an eagle in your mind
    Aug 2004
    doesnt happen with ss because hills are so short we all ride the same

but when i ride fixed on the road, and especially with these girls new to biking, i usually gotta round hills twice because i cant slow down and granny gear it up like they can... nor can i produce 23094832943 lbs of torque @ 20rpm
    living on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun -bill woods

Nope got nothing
    Teach your buddies how to save you a line, and learn the weakness's of the geared crowd!
    One of my geared partners is way fast, but a SS is fast in different places. Once I learned the sweet spots I could make him work to hang!

mtbr member

Have you...

tried using a bell on your handlebars? I ding the bell when I'm building up speed on the climbs, gearys usually move out of my way just fine.

Stick with the Singlespeed, worse case you'll develop a nice, superslow, lopey climbing technique riding with gearys.

MC

I find it hard to do group rides with my buddies when I'm on the ss and they are riding w/ gears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    Stick with the Singlespeed, worse case you'll develop a nice, superslow, lopey climbing technique riding with gearys.
    Not so great without good traction, but when you clear a steep climb grinding away slow and strong, you really feel like a badass at the top.

mtbr member

traction...

I really don't have traction issues that much anymore. Maybe its the soft rear tire, or the fact that I will walk when the trails wet, I hate to tear up the trails around home!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennetht638
    Not so great without good traction, but when you clear a steep climb grinding away slow and strong, you really feel like a badass at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    LOL ! Do you guys really aim for rear derailers? Thats the funniest thing I've heard all day!
    Either that or the Avid disc brake. You can buzz your tire on the pad adjuster and nearly lock the brake. Then the guy in front of you HAS to stop!
    mtbtires.com

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Keep ridin' ss and dropping your buddies in the hopes that they'll eventually get the hint and drop their gears and go ss.

Last one in buys the beer is a good way to get them off the gears

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Keep ridin' ss and dropping your buddies in the hopes that they'll eventually get the hint and drop their gears and go ss.

Last one in buys the beer is a good way to get them off the gears
    Just make sure your rides do not finish with a long slight DH!
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat

MC
    Word. Slowly following the gearie uphill, at their pace will only make you faster.

JAK
    mtbr member

it all depends...

on what the ride is for...speed or scenery.

For the racy speed type, all kinds of little mix-ups can/will occur.

For the scenery type, it doesn't matter.

90% of my rides are the latter.

I sometimes like the mix-ups...it just adds flavor! I ride with good folks, it doesn't matter what they ride.
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    I've been SS'ing with gearies for several years now, the group will range from 40lb+ 6"+ travel bikes to fully rigid SSers, and we get along just fine. Riding behind a gearie teaches you to lope slowly up a hill, even steep ones they stall on. Our groups are pretty well educated, if they see me on an SS, they'll often send me first up a hill, and I'll pull aside on the flats to let them sprint. Sometime's I'll send them up the hill first, and either leave a gap, or ride thier wheel - it's all fun.

It's no different than accomodating people's riding styles, we always send the gravity boys first on a downhill, regardless of the bike they are riding.

Cheers,

Tom