SSers Do you swap out gearing per conditions?- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. SSers Do you swap out gearing per conditions?

Do any of you SSers...

...carry extra cogs of different gearing combos per your riding conditions?

When I travel to new place rather than spend time looking at GPS or maps I just bring an assortment of cogs, bits of chain, and links and change as needed to make my day riding more fun! Usually just a few teeth make the differance.

Anyone run a few extra cogs on your freehub?

WillWorkForTrail
    I can't say as how I do. I pretty much stick with what I ride regardless of conditions. It keeps things simpler, and forces me to keep my game up, while not requiring me to recalculate how far that last half turn of the cranks will carry me to figure out how to get over the next rock/root/whatever.

mtbr member
    Nope. I switch a couple times a season, but that's more of a sympton of my fitness than trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Dinglespeed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yep... 32x18 where I do most of my riding. 32X20 at the rest of the places since there is much more climbing.

mtbr member
    I got me few cogs and meant to change depending on where I ride... but too lazy to change and I've been riding 32x18 since changing to ss.

mtbr member
    Yes. I have one bike set at 32 x 20, and pretty much leave that one as is. I ride it where there are more hills. My other bike will be geared as 32 x 18 or 19. I also have a 16 and 17 for when conditions permit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I change between 9 cogs in back and 2 chainrings up front.

And I also ride my singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    For short races and/or rides that are shorter then six hours I will run 36x22 regardless of conditions (unless it is almost pure climbing). For longer events I run run 36x20.

Personally I generate more peak power at high cadences but it reduces my endurance potential. For longer rides the bigger gear hurts my speed in steep and/or twisty stuff but the benefit is that I can maintain my speed across flats and such with less spin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I change during the seasons...I'll drop a tooth on the rear for a little lower gear when it's wet and muddy out during the fall. And change cogs depending on where I ride. If I race, an 18t goes on. Normally I just ride 32x20 and in the fall/winter I ride 32x21.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member

I just ride...

32-16 every day year round everywhere. If conditions are too tough for that, I ride a geared bike....
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've got two wheels that I leave set up with different cogs. Recently, its just been summer gearing vs winter gearing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If I cant make it up on my 32/20 than the hills to steep for me. If the trails are flater, I gear to 32/18-16.
    For new trails I dont know yet I bring my 32/20 because i tend to go to fast for my own good and need to slow it down sometimes.
    I usually ask around for trail conditions first, but when someone says its hilly and I gear for it, its usually not as bad as they say. Or when they say its flat its not flat enough... fml

Members who have read this thread: 0