SSers in AR- Mtbr.com

Thread: SSers in AR

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004

SSers in AR

Just wondering how many of us SSers are in AR. I know the state series gets quite a few at each race, good number from out of state. LIke 29ers, SS is becoming more popular around here, so I've got one thats both. I'm live close to the Carp trails at Camp Robinson, though I've not ridden there in a while.

Maybe at some point we should have a SS ride at the Womble or some other killer trail. Except that no trail is as fun as the Womble. I myself would prefer a warmer time of the year for this ride. Or at least above 50F.

Steve
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

Enjoying Every Sandwich
    Not quite yet, but I will be by the end of February. Just need to get the funds in order for cranks and a chain and I am ready to rock.

I have never ridden Womble since I am new to the sport. I usually ride in Fort Smith at Springhill Park (Corps of Engineers Funded and Maintained Trail) and at Old Post Road in Russellville (Another Corps of Engineers Funded and Maintained Trail).

A friend asked me yesterday to ride in the Oauchita Challenge in April. Says they are filling up quick and running out of spots. Ouachita Challenge . Not sure how many SSer are going to do this Tour/Race. Just look at the number of out of staters that have signed up. Amazing. Womble must be awesome.

I read where Bicycling Magazine or another magazine said that if Womble were in California or the Northwest, it would be too crowded to ride. They say its the best in the State and the region. We have a great trail in the middle of the state that is fairly easy to get to. Why I haven't ridden it yet is beyond me.

Have you seen the Arkansas MTB Board? Here it is....
    Last edited by TheBUNKY; 01-27-2005 at 05:25 PM.

aka rockyonekc
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
    Just wondering how many of us SSers are in AR. I know the state series gets quite a few at each race, good number from out of state. LIke 29ers, SS is becoming more popular around here, so I've got one thats both. I'm live close to the Carp trails at Camp Robinson, though I've not ridden there in a while.

Maybe at some point we should have a SS ride at the Womble or some other killer trail. Except that no trail is as fun as the Womble. I myself would prefer a warmer time of the year for this ride. Or at least above 50F.

Steve
    I took my SS down to Syllamo last November. It was brutal.

Funny you talk about warmer riding. I'm going back to Syllamo next weekend for exactly that reason, but with ..............suspension and gears

Anyone know how quick Sylamo dries?
    Good Trails Don't Build Themselves - Earn Your Dirt

http://earthriders.org

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBUNKY
    A friend asked me yesterday to ride in the Oauchita Challenge in April. Says they are filling up quick and running out of spots. Ouachita Challenge . Not sure how many SSer are going to do this Tour/Race. Just look at the number of out of staters that have signed up. Amazing. Womble must be awesome.
    Last year I was the only SS on the tour, although there were several in the race. Good fun. I'll be there again this year.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    I heard that one of the fastest riders in the OC race was on a SS. Does anyone have the scoop on this?

Springhill and Old Post are fun trails. I haven't ridden my SS at Springhill yet, I went up there to ride it on the SS, but it was way to muddy to ride, so rather than trash the trail, I went elsewhere.

I want to go to Lincoln Parish Park and ride this trail, I've heard it's a cool trail, just too far away for a quick trip.

Carp trails at Camp Robinson in NLR are good SS trails. I guess I yet to encounter any bad trails for a SS. Any good trail is just better on a SS.

Steve
    Prof. Frink.

Master of the Obvious

Almost....

I am an avid SSer, But until Feb. 22nd I am an Illinois resident, after that I will be in Central Arkansas.
    I am looking forward to riding new trails and making new friends. I lived in Little Rock over a decade ago, in fact my very first MTB race was at Alsop Park! ( I got first on my rigid Specialized Rock Hopper, and I still have the Troy Lee Designs helmet they gave as an award!~)
    I have also ridden Devil's Den and some of the Logging Trails by Lake Sylvia (Real close to my new home).
    I am looking forward to doing Womble and checking out Camp Robinson.
    So if your out and about and you see a "Yankee" on a Green Rigid Karate Monkey w/ H-bars wearing a Perma-Grin -Stop and say Hello
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
    I heard that one of the fastest riders in the OC race was on a SS. Does anyone have the scoop on this?
    That's probably Jimbo, who posts here sometimes. He won the SS class last year. Placed in the low 20s overall I think. But he's really known for riding it on a fixed cross bike two years ago.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    I heard about the Jimbo ride, that was awsome.

Angus, soon to be welcomed back to good ol AR. I've ridden the dirt roads around Lake Sylvia and Lake Winona area many times. Some good long loops out there. Have you ever ridden at Camp Robinson? It's a great place to ride, somewhere around 40 miles of trails I think, maybe more, I haven't ridden out there for a few months even though its about 2 miles from my house. Several new trails have been added in AR in the last 10 years. Plus the state series if you race.

Steve
    Prof. Frink.

mtbr member
    Arkansas has some great riding, and the series is reasonably well run. Competition is lacking for the experts (this is certainly not an issue for me as I'm a slug). Camp Robinson rocks, but us a major PITA to get on. Get this, hunters (with firearms no less) no not have to check in at the gate, but riders do. Guess the spandex scares everybody. Good riding around the Fayetteville, Hotsprings, and Little Rock areas. Lots of trails spread out over the state.