SS xc full suspension bikes?- Mtbr.com
    I Can
    Jun 2005

SS xc full suspension bikes?

help!!!
    i am interested in taking the next step into the world of SS, but would not want to give up the feel of full/xc suspensions. is it even possible to have a SS setup in a full suspension/xc bike. i don't believe so because of the chain tension. please help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Because
    help!!!
    i am interested in taking the next step into the world of SS, but would not want to give up the feel of full/xc suspensions. is it even possible to have a SS setup in a full suspension/xc bike. i don't believe so because of the chain tension. please help.
    a non-functioning derailleur would adjust for chain slack/tension on a set-up like that...or if the pivot was centered around the bb you wouldn't need one. it's been done, i'm sure some folks could post some pics.

i heart singletrack

Full-sus/SS options...

Kona makes a single-speed FS frame that works well.

The old derailleur trick works pretty well too. it's just not as elegant of a solution, but it gets the job done.

cheers,
    mg

Devolution is real!
    Yeah I think I have seen that KONA full suspension SS. It is cool looking, definatly unique.Go for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    help!!!

How do you feel about Out of the Saddle riding on the geared FS bike? On a SS bike you will be hammering Out of the Saddle alot. This makes a difference on a FS bike.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Try Before you buy

I would convert your current FS XC rig to SS to try it out. I converted an 01 Trek Fuel to SS using an old deraileur and an old cog. It worked pretty well, but I just got tired of the constant bounce when I was hammering standing up. The need to always climb standing made the FS less appealing to me. I finally just bought a ss frame and rigid fork, now my full squishy frame and fork are boxed up in my garage. I am trying to sell them cuz I don't even want them anymore. I love my full rigid SS, especially because it is so easy to take care of and I can ride it in any weather, and I don't worry about it blowing up from water and mud and ice! Long winded sorry. Try the FS SS convert, and then evaluate from there!

I Can
    Jun 2005

epic ss?

thanks for all the input. right now i have an epic 2005 with the rear brain shock which locks out on standing climbs. it really works by the way. i will consider your recommendations.

Tig
    I ride, therefore I am.
    Consider a soft tail SS. I saw a guy with one of those old carbon soft tail Treks (named the "STP" I think) in the SS class at a recent race.
    A Moots YBB or similar Dean Ti would make a cool soft tail SS. Maybe even a C'dale Scalpel would work without too much chain slack.
    I can't offer any real world experiences with a soft tail SS though.

I expected to get beat up on my hard tail SS, but being a 29'er, the ride is much better than
    the many 26" hard tails I've had over the years (since '84).

The early bird gets the worm,
    but the second mouse gets the cheese.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Just go with the A from Kona.

I have been riding one for the past two years and love it as my every day ride. No problems with the dropouts slipping or the chain tension. Just a whole lot of fun. Plus they are making the A in there Clump tubing for 06 so it will be stiffer and a better ride. Plus it will be in the burnt orange. The same color as the Dawg Supreme.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Epic SS Pics

Not sure who this belongs to, but I saw it a while back. Epic setup with a singulator. Not sure how well that would work with chain growth, but the old deraileur works well. Just be sure to let all the air out of the shock and compress it fully before shortening the chain, so it doesn't snap when you hit a big bump or drop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    help!!!
    I ran my Jekyll for many miles as an SS with a Pauls Melvin. The type of travel will tell you what you need for a tensioner. Take your rear shock off and cycle the swingarm on a stand before you ride it to avoid damage.

-t
    wow, this hurts more than it used to.

mtbr member

Kona A

Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    Kona makes a single-speed FS frame that works well.

The old derailleur trick works pretty well too. it's just not as elegant of a solution, but it gets the job done.

cheers,
    mg
    I had one for a few months. Comes with an RP3 Fox shock, looks nice and its inexpensive. However I did not like it. I had to crank the air pressure in the shock really high to help reduce the bobbing when cranking out of the saddle. I thought about putting a remote lockout on it but never did. Sold it and purchased a 29’er and installed a Thudbuster.

Members who have read this thread: 0