SS The Womble?- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS The Womble?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SS The Womble?

OK, I know the answer depends on many variables like oh, is the rider in shape, etc I ask because my wife & I are making our first Womble trip this weekend and I'd like to bring my 29er SS & leave the geared FS rig at home if possible.

It seems as though the trail descriptions I've read describe the trail as generally SS friendly as long as you can handle a few climbs. Being from the midwest, I haven't had much ride time for the last month and I don't want to ruin the trip by bring the wrong bike. I currently have it geared for slower winter riding (33x20) so climbs should be easier than with my normal 33x17.

Any single speeders with advise?

Thanks!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm not a SSer, but I'll post my opinion anyway.

I say bring the SS. I've been on group rides with SSers in the bunch, and it wasn't a problem. I'm not sure exactly what sections you are riding, but there are very few places where it might be an issue.

Enjoy your ride, I'm sure you'll love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    BTW, I'm not sure when you'll be visiting, but there will be quite a few group rides during the next few months on the Womble and Ouachita trails because people are training for the Ouachita challenge in March. If you'd like a guided tour you might be able to join in.

You may find some more info here or on the forums here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool. We're coming down to cure a bad case of cabin fever & enjoy a trail we've wanted to ride for a couple of years now. I am leaning towards bringing the single speed since I'll be waiting for my wife to catch up anyhow

We'll ride on Friday & Saturday (13th & 14th) but we have to head back home by Sunday.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Wandering not Lost
    last year I did the Ouachita challenge on a 34:19...w/o much trouble ...only draw back was the open areas but everywhere else it was cool...

Probably drunk right now

Ever Ridden?

Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    OK, I know the answer depends on many variables like oh, is the rider in shape, etc I ask because my wife & I are making our first Womble trip this weekend and I'd like to bring my 29er SS & leave the geared FS rig at home if possible.

It seems as though the trail descriptions I've read describe the trail as generally SS friendly as long as you can handle a few climbs. Being from the midwest, I haven't had much ride time for the last month and I don't want to ruin the trip by bring the wrong bike. I currently have it geared for slower winter riding (33x20) so climbs should be easier than with my normal 33x17.

Any single speeders with advise?

Thanks!
    Throw out some trails you've ridden that others may have and then we'll be able to help you better.

For example:

- Kettle Morrains
    - Chub Trail (in St. Louis)
    - The Peoria trails
    - Berryman
    - Council Bluffs Lake
    - Other trails you've ridden that you wouldn't consider SSing on.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ken,
    I'm in central Illinois so I've ridden all the Peoria area trails on the single speed w/o trouble, including Farmdale, Jubilee & Indy.

Only been on the SS for about a year so I haven't had the chance to get it out some of the other trails in the region.

From what I've read, the Womble is a pretty easy (non-technical) system without too much climbing. I am sure the geared bike would be a cake walk for my "abilities" but I want to do more on the SS this year, hence the question.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    For starters, the Womble freaking ROCKS, no matter what you ride. The biggest challenge when I rode it last was the blowdown/windfalls that you had to clamber over, but that has nothing to do with bike choice. IMHO, you'll be able to do the vast majority of the trail on a singlespeed, and will go so far as to say that it's pretty darn near perfect for that. There are some climbs, but nothing too extended; just when the going gets really tough you'll top out on the ridge you're on, then swoop back down the hillside to the next one. Personally I wouldn't bring any other bike but a singlespeed, even if I owned one.

mtbr member
    I 2nd 3rd or 4th the recommendation to bring the SS. I have only ridden it geared but it made me want to bring the SS the next time. A couple of good climbs but only one really tough one that stands out. It is a short one though.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    Great trail on a SS. If I can do it on a SS, anyone can do it on a SS. I think some work has been done recently to clear the trail but I'm not 100% sure of this. Have fun.

Post here if you see any "wombles" on the trail. Last one I saw was a small monkey like critter on a 29er SS.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "Post here if you see any "wombles" on the trail. Last one I saw was a small monkey like critter on a 29er SS."

Will do. Since I myself am a rather large monkey like critter who rides a 29er SS I should be able to spot one if they cross my path

Thanks for the help, my Niner will be making the trip instead of the Pantera!

Members who have read this thread: 0