ss value vs geared values- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

ss value vs geared values

i'm just venting a little here...

i want to build a new ss, thinking jabberwocky right now but still looking around. now i know this is totally apples to oranges because its building frame up and its new not used but i was looking at craigslist earlier and saw a few nice bikes. i saw a full suspension CARBON and a TI hardtail both used with good components including decent forks but for the same or less than i could build a STEEL single speed.

how does everyone else feel about what your dollar buys you in the single speed world vs geared bikes?

Ovaries on the Outside
    I only shop on craigslist and it has allowed me to play with gears, wheelsizes and whatnot without losing much money. So I'd say it has been great for me. I'm closer to refining the exact geometry and wheelsize.

I always gape a bit at new prices, but I think I'd rather have a Jabber with an Odis than either of the other two bikes. If you get exactly what you want and it makes you happy, it is really worth the price.

Besides, SS is fairly cheap all the time. While a rigid SS can easily cost 800, similarly equipped geared bike will be more and in a year or two, you get to replace the drivetrain. For the price of the new drivetrain you can revamp your SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    V6 Mustang. You buy it, do a few things to it, take good care of it, and you won't get more than 3k for it in 5 years, though its low miles and was well taken care of. Chances are the person that buys it doesn't know much about the car.

Mustang GT. Your rockin the V8. You buy it, do a few things to it and take good care of it, but it's not the same mustang you see every thirty seconds. This is a car only certain people buy, not the average person. Even when it comes to parting ways with the car, Your asking price is higher than that of the regular Mustang. Chances are, the person buying your car is someone who was looking for that model. He can tell you about the parts on that car just as fast as you can. It's a "special interest" car. Might not seem that way to people that "aren't into that kinda' thing, but it is.

I think that made sense.
    Livin' the dream.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolm4
    I think that made sense.
    It did to me, at least.

There's also the V6 Mustang that you buy and realize it's just a sheep in wolf's clothing, so you update it with big brakes, a V8, nitrous, etc. Then time comes to sell and you can't get as much out of it as you could if it had been left stock.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by bgblue1978
    i saw a full suspension CARBON and a TI hardtail both used with good components including decent forks but for the same or less than i could build a STEEL single speed.
    Buy the TI hardtail, sell the drivetrain, buy an ENO Ecc. hub with the profits...

It's because it's a niche market. Companies aren't producing a ton of the stuff, it costs more to manufacture since it's not a mainstream item...

If you're building 15,000 of a bike, it's cheaper per item to make than if you're making 500.

mtbr member
    Or you end up spending more on better parts for your SS since you dont have to budget in shifters and derailleurs into the equation. I know I'm at least happier with a badass SS that I built, despite the fact that I could have gotten a decent mid-cost 18spd bike for the same price.

And buying used carbon and ti frames vs your steel frame? Which one will still be rideable in 5-10yrs?

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob
    And buying used carbon and ti frames vs your steel frame? Which one will still be rideable in 5-10yrs?
    The steel and the Ti, and maybe the Carbon if you take care of it.

Another good thing about the SS in the long run - they are SUPER cheap to maintain.

I was working on a friends bike the other day. Replaced his cables, housing and rear derailleure....

Then I thought "How long has it been since I even had to adjust a derailleure?" I've got a huge box of extra cables, derailleures, cassettes, chains, etc.. that I hardly even look in anymore. Used to be once a week I was in there looking for a part to replace something that had broken off or worn out.

I think this year I have replaced the tires once, patched the tubes a couple times, and need new brake pads. That's it for about 2000 miles of riding on the SS.

Members who have read this thread: 0