mtbr member

SS up Dogmeat/Priest Rock L.Gatos ???

The nasty little 1.5 mile trip up the face / dogmeat. Hope to clean it without daubing someday but may never be tough enough. Who has done it on a SS ?
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member

Who's in ?

Ok ... Congrats francois for doing the face/dogmeat in Sierra Azul L. Gatos ca. on a SS speed nomad 22x32. Yesterday I tried it on my Klein Rascal SS with a new set up... 20x22 and could not do it. Made all the steeps but the long straight away before the end got me after doing 1/3 of it. Walked 300 feet then made the last 3 hills to the top. Went down Kennedy trail towards Kennedy rd. just to climb the "It's" hills baby and mother ....last two tough hills before the top. Came back to the car going down dogmeat to go home and fall asleep in my recliner.

Out spokin'
    20x22? Wow, that must be steep.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    20x22? Wow, that must be steep.

--sParty
    Hey Sparty.....the main problem with it is finding some recovery room as it has a long section moderate climb but you have to pound a steep one and it just keeps going. I am also a 1953 guy myself. 4/27/53. Yesterday was first ride on 20 x 22 set up. I will do it eventually and the set up of 20 x 22 performed killer.....I just ran out of gas. First time I made it in 1996 pretty sure my old 1993 xt set up was 24x28/close to the 20 x 22 standard old school cassett on the Klein Rascal. 1.4 mile section 12.9 avg. grade and only a measly 960 feet up. Deadly Nedly could clean this SS.... 2 to 1 I'm sure !

Out spokin'
    11/02/53 here.

Ned was & remains my #1 mtb hero.

Keep at it. Your time will come.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member

Deadly Nedly

Thought you would know of him ! My hero also !

mtbr member
    11/02/53 here.

Ned was & remains my #1 mtb hero.

Keep at it. Your time will come.

--sParty
    Too many of you youngsters around here - wait until you get to my age (17/07/52) .

From one old(ish) guy to a couple of others - have a happy and healthy New Year and long may we keep keeping on

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    Too many of you youngsters around here - wait until you get to my age (17/07/52) .

From one old(ish) guy to a couple of others - have a happy and healthy New Year and long may we keep keeping on
    Likewise, Andy.

60 is the new 40. Sheesh, never thought I'd say that.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member

omg

Are u on an Island or what. Holy moly when I saw your location Isle of man.... I was trying to get the joke. My buddy lives in semi isolated Poulsbo in Washington but he ain't isolated like you are. Here is something I found.........a trail you have been on ...... only a million times ? Fish......It's what for dinner. Sorry.....I had to do it ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5CubXPAmuU PS I have two roadie buds 68 ish who are gonna start S speeding with me soon. Keep on truckin ! Happy new year !

mtbr member
    Likewise, Andy.

60 is the new 40. Sheesh, never thought I'd say that.

--sParty
    I know - the years are coming round too damn quickly for my liking.....

mtbr member
    Hell, man! , all that stuff on the video is right on my doorstep and I'm up around there at some point pretty much every time I go out riding. Where those guys on the enduro bikes went into the forest (at about 7:25"), on the right there is the start of some really sweet singletrack, the work of myself, my wife and a couple of riding mates. In fact there's so much nice riding within 10 miles from home that I don't often go anywhere else, and I only have to ride about half a mile on tarmac to get to it .

That whole area of forestry is really like my playground, if I'm not riding up there then I'm doing trail work and if I'm not doing either, then my wife and I are just up there because it's just a great place to be.
    Where the video ends, on that rocky track down through the woods, well if you carry on for another mile you're right at my front door. I reckon that Ballaugh is the best place on the Island to live, if you're into mountain bikes.

And this guy lives in Ballaugh too - his late father and I were friends from school.
    How old does that make me feel............

All the very best for 2011 to you and yours

mtbr member
    Hell, man! , all that stuff on the video is right on my doorstep and I'm up around there at some point pretty much every time I go out riding. Where those guys on the enduro bikes went into the forest (at about 7:25"), on the right there is the start of some really sweet singletrack, the work of myself, my wife and a couple of riding mates. In fact there's so much nice riding within 10 miles from home that I don't often go anywhere else, and I only have to ride about half a mile on tarmac to get to it .

That whole area of forestry is really like my playground, if I'm not riding up there then I'm doing trail work and if I'm not doing either, then my wife and I are just up there because it's just a great place to be.
    Where the video ends, on that rocky track down through the woods, well if you carry on for another mile you're right at my front door. I reckon that Ballaugh is the best place on the Island to live, if you're into mountain bikes.

And this guy lives in Ballaugh too - his late father and I were friends from school.
    How old does that make me feel............

All the very best for 2011 to you and yours
    I tell u what. By the looks of some of the downhill the video showed.....Looks like climbing up that trail would lay some hurt on ya ! Good for you ...... with your good friends and family what else does a guy need. Plus you can make your own trails....cool. Isolation.....I stand corrected.....seriously maybe more like awesome ..... better word for your backyard !

mtbr member
    Yeah, some of those climbs seriously take it out of me - maybe not if I was some young guy of 25 (although I've seen plenty of them suffer and with gears too).What makes it worse is that the climbing starts pretty much as soon as I leave home so I'm not even warmed up. It can be pretty sick-making sometimes, I can tell you... It's why I run lower gearing than it seems most people do - at the minute 32:20, at least you learn to spin well.

But yes, I am a lucky old fool - even in the weather we have now, which is snow, then mud and more mud. Much like Oregon or somewhere I suppose.
    I plan to be out riding tomorrow with an old friend - I should take some photos sometimes and post a few, I suppose.....

Andy.

mtbr member

32 x 20

Yeah, some of those climbs seriously take it out of me - maybe not if I was some young guy of 25 (although I've seen plenty of them suffer and with gears too).What makes it worse is that the climbing starts pretty much as soon as I leave home so I'm not even warmed up. It can be pretty sick-making sometimes, I can tell you... It's why I run lower gearing than it seems most people do - at the minute 32:20, at least you learn to spin well.

But yes, I am a lucky old fool - even in the weather we have now, which is snow, then mud and more mud. Much like Oregon or somewhere I suppose.
    I plan to be out riding tomorrow with an old friend - I should take some photos sometimes and post a few, I suppose.....

Andy.
    I run 32x19 on my Lynskey and my Klein is 20 x 22 right now just to try Dogmeat which I can't make. I will have to use****** these if I make it as anything under say 30 x 22 almost isn't really SS ? ....... I may catch hell for that comment. Out the door with the Lynskey. I try Dogmeat again with the Klein on Saturday or Sunday. It is gonna put me round the bend .....trying to make it ! Ps post up some pics from tamale's ride.

mtbr member

Finally

Made it today on sub 22 lb Klein Rascal SS'er geared easy 20 x 22. ****** Trail had been groomed ..... but not by me !

Ovaries on the Outside
    Nice work. I can't imagine, so I wish I could see.

Anyway, hope I am not interrupting an Old Farts Thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Nice work. I can't imagine, so I wish I could see.

Anyway, hope I am not interrupting an Old Farts Thread.
    Ask and you will see ! http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...23076#poststop It's not all that bad. 1.4 miles with 960 ft gain at 12.9 % avg. The end part can be rough.

Members who have read this thread: 1