Thread: SS Stem Length

Ahhh the pain....

SS Stem Length

I'm in the process of building up a Lynskey Ridgeline 29r SS and trying to dial in the cockpit. My FS26r is setup more XC with a 120mm stem where the grips are slightly below the seat height. I'm tempted to setup up the SS the same way which would require a 110mm stem since the top tube is a bit longer. Should I be thinking shorter, more upright riding position for a SS ?

Out spokin'
    Personal choice but I like my bars where they're comfortable for multi-mile standing. For me that's right about saddle height. YMMV.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Teen Wolf
    whatever is most comfortable, make sure you get a ss stem

Low Rep Count
    What ever works for you man. I simply set mine up the same as my xc. Running a 110mm stem simply because my tt is a tad longer as well. I have a 5 degree stem flipped upside down so the stem is almost parallel to the ground and I still ride a straight bar.

Over the bars...
    I set mine up based on bike fit at a shop. I was able to use a 35 degree inverted stem to drop my bars slightly below the saddle. I have no legs and all upper body, when switching to 29 it was an interesting trick to fit a bike comfortably.

Ahhh the pain....
    what is a ss stem ? Never seen SS specific stems....

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum
    He was giving the OP friendly flack for asking about a non-SS-specific item on the SS board. Happens all the time, usually accompanied by a wink and a giggle, and most frequently over on the 29er board.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    personal preference....low is good for me now though i guess at about saddle height

i currently only have 1 SS and i run a 70mm stem...whatever

local trails rider
    Personal preference:

When I converted my bike to SS, I noticed that I wanted a shorter stem: I felt my weight was too far forward when climbing out of the saddle.

Others may have different experiences.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum
    More importantly make sure it is a 29er compatible stem. 26er stems work but often fail due to not being designed to cope with the higher torque required on a 29er.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    He was giving the OP friendly flack for asking about a non-SS-specific item on the SS board. Happens all the time, usually accompanied by a wink and a giggle, and most frequently over on the 29er board.

--Sparty
    Dunno about that in this case... the question is really about stem length, and some find they want a different cockpit/riding position for SS.

Teen Wolf
    wink wink giggle giggle.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I run a 100mm zero rise now but am going to a 120mm six degree rise on my Inbred (has shorter TT). I find I like to be more stretched out over a bike and get a drop bar feel is much more comfortable for me plus I get some serious speed on the DH.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    I run a 100mm zero rise now but am going to a 120mm six degree rise on my Inbred (has shorter TT). I find I like to be more stretched out over a bike and get a drop bar feel is much more comfortable for me plus I get some serious speed on the DH.
    This is a good point.

Zinn’s book has good reference on TT length and dialing in the saddle position to stem length. I even emailed Zinn to further define the math. It’s certainly a ‘feel out science’ in my experience. I am more inclined to dial in my TT length more precisely than stand-over height of a frame. I’ve ridden 16”, 17", 17.5”, 18”, and 19”. On the 16” I have to slide the saddle position all the way to back and purchased a longer stem. Similarly, on the 19” I had to use a shorter stem length. It’s all about finding that sweet spot IMO.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    My Unit came with a 105mm and I hated it. I replaced it with a 60mm and everything felt WAY better. I can't belive that so many SS folks still use 100mm+ stems! Whatever works for you I guess...

mtbr member
    Personal choice but I like my bars where they're comfortable for multi-mile standing. For me that's right about saddle height. YMMV.

--Sparty
    +1 for me. A little shorter and a little more rise than my other bikes to keep me from "hunching" too much on long climbs.

Let's ride

--Sparty
    +1 on this. High or low, my bars need to be where I can stand and pedal straight legged, without bending bending my torso. There are 4mi 2000ft climbs where I am, and you'll need to stand about 90% of the climb. Being hunched over for that time would kill me, and then I'd be walking.

Additionally, I vote for short stems on 29ers. The steering is already slow. You stick a 100-110 stem on there, and it is glacial.

I run a 90 now, and will go down to an 80.

Members who have read this thread: 0