SS - Sport or Expert?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

SS - Sport or Expert?

In our local races the ss class is more of a sport category although there are some in that group that have expert speed.
    I am going on vacation in Colorado and wanted to do an xc race (Wildflower Rush in Crested Butte). The ss class seems to be lumped with the experts and an annual NORBA license is required. On the website it says an annual liscense is required for expert and above. According to the registration this includes ss.
    I thought hmmm, there must be some fast single speeders in those parts. But comparing last year's results of ss & 35-39 sport, the sport class' average time was about 30 minutes faster.
    I don't get it. I like to race with the ss group because of the comradere and fun-loving nature. But I don't consider myself an expert. In fact, I'm quite slow.
    I think I'm going to get smoked in the sport class and be an oddball but I don't want or need to buy a NORBA license.
    What are your thoughts? Am I missing something?
    Eric

JRA
    mtbr member
    My expert opinion is that SS is a sport.

OK - now that we've got that out of the way, sometimes the SS class is started w/ the experts so that the SS riders don't get bunched up behind slower climbing riders and lose time. That's the theory at least, not born out by my racing "speed" or lack thereof. I'd suggest contacting the race organizer directly and finding out if an annual NORBA license is required to race in the SS class at that particular race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

In my experiance

Single speeders have mixed it up with the experts and pros in the races I have been in. But there have always been the ones that were slower than a lot of the sport racers.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Where the SS class is placed (sport or expert) depends on the area and wants of the local racers. In Oregon the SS class has raced the Expert distances some years and the Sport distances others.

I suspect the reason the Colorado sport class has faster times than the SS expert is the experts ride a longer course.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

SS Chimp

Spot on...

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I suspect the reason the Colorado sport class has faster times than the SS expert is the experts ride a longer course.

...you hit the nail on the head. As a general rule, the sport class in the MSC tends to do 1 less lap than the Expert/SS class in the ski resort events.
    all single...all the time

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by EricJames
    I don't want or need to buy a NORBA license.
    What are your thoughts?
    Eric
    Simple, register for Sport, pay for the one day and race your SS.

If you decide to go in the SS class keep in mind that in addition to the longer distance, you will also have the altitude to handicap you.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA
    I'd suggest contacting the race organizer directly and finding out if an annual NORBA license is required to race in the SS class at that particular race.
    You need an Annual NORBA license if you race Expert or PSE. Since SS is an 'Open' class, I don't think that you should need an Annual License. The race organizer should direct your question to the NORBA Official for that event.

We had this same discussion here in Texas regarding SS racing Sport or Expert distances. Currently here the SS Open class races Sport distance. I am a Sport XC racer, and in SS I have raced everyone from PSE to Beginner women. It is interesting.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

DOH!

Class

In Arkansas SS is a sport division. We can ride a SS in any class we want though.............
    what don't kill ya, make ya more strong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

must be fast

Quote Originally Posted by 32x18
    ...you hit the nail on the head. As a general rule, the sport class in the MSC tends to do 1 less lap than the Expert/SS class in the ski resort events.
    If that's the case, the ss group is pretty fast . I'll probably be better off in sport but still would rather race with the ss. It will still be fun. I've never ridden in CO, much less raced. Hope my lungs are up for it.
    See you out there. I'll be on a copper-colored Badger.
    Eric

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by EricJames
    If that's the case, the ss group is pretty fast . I'll probably be better off in sport but still would rather race with the ss. It will still be fun. I've never ridden in CO, much less raced. Hope my lungs are up for it.
    See you out there. I'll be on a copper-colored Badger.
    Eric
    "Western" races also tend to start all the classes within a few minutes of each other so you all on the course at the same time anyway.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0