SS specific wheel advantages- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

SS specific wheel advantages

What are the advantages of having a single speed specific rear wheel, or hub for that matter.

mtbr member
    SS specific wheels... this will get so scientific that it will hurt your head.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Ah, yes. Well, since I just built up a set of WI hubs and used the ENO rear hub and FW body, I can say that I do notice the stiffer rear wheel when I load the bike up in a sharp corner or cross a rut seated, etc. I like the non-dished aspect of it.

Also, I just think it looks right, rather than having spacers on there. Of course, you can get the same thing with a cassette type SS hub. I just went all classic on this build with the hubs. The WI stuff is polished and gleaming joy in a world of anodized jelly belly hubs.

http://www.thecyclistsite.com/techy-...ls-part-2.html
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Single Speed Nation
    I'm pretty sure that we established in the last "SS specific Hub" thread that having an SS specific rear hub will get you laid more often than not having one.

I researched into this, and many weeks and surveys later, the statistics are as follows:

SS hub: Regular Hub:
    Chances of getting laid upon pre ride viewing of hub 8% 5%
    Chances of getting laid post-ride 56% 23.5%
    Chances of getting laid mid-ride 155.3% 0%

This data was compiled with a combination of personal research (strenuous as that might have been) and 3rd party surveys.

I think the results speak for themselves...

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by great_big_abyss
    I'm pretty sure that we established in the last "SS specific Hub" thread that having an SS specific rear hub will get you laid more often than not having one.

I researched into this, and many weeks and surveys later, the statistics are as follows:

SS hub: Regular Hub:
    Chances of getting laid upon pre ride viewing of hub 8% 5%
    Chances of getting laid post-ride 56% 23.5%
    Chances of getting laid mid-ride 155.3% 0%

This data was compiled with a combination of personal research (strenuous as that might have been) and 3rd party surveys.

I think the results speak for themselves...
    I have also noticed similar results, however, the quality of the tallent that i ride with made this less than a positive (sorry Bruce).
    I went back to a 8/9speed hub, and i have not noticed any loss in ride quality with the dished wheel.
    I think a quality dished wheel will feel just as stiff as any SS specific wheelset. There is a point of diminishing returns.

Single Speed Nation
    Yeah, in all seriousness, I don't think there are any quantitative, measurable benefits to a singlespeed hub. I don't believe it makes a stronger wheel. The positive is a cleaner look.

I suppose a potential negative would be that you couldn't use it on a geared bike if you absolutely needed to (as a spare, for example).

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by great_big_abyss

I suppose a potential negative would be that you couldn't use it on a geared bike if you absolutely needed to (as a spare, for example).
    This is the exact reason why i stick to the 8/9 speed hubs. I dont even own a geared bike, but if i suffer an injury, i'd still like to be able to build one up so i can take an easy ride. I just dont like limiting myself.

mtbr member
    existentially and possibly, fundamentally, I think a single speed specific wheel can also be used on a frame that has a 1" head tube.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Don't most SS specific hubs come in a steel body and generally have more POE's? So instead of a stronger wheel don't we see a stronger hub?
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    I still stand by SS wheels are better because they eliminate the choice of being a weakling and simply adding gears to your current wheelset. They are more the bomb too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Singlespeeding is about commitment. No bail out gear up that hill, accepting you will spin out on that downhill and having a wheel that you cannot stick 8+ cogs on.

Members who have read this thread: 0