SS specific rear wheel or no?- Mtbr.com
    USB Rep'n

SS specific rear wheel or no?

Im putting together a new bike (or will be very shortly) and was wondering if I should put a SS specific rear wheel on it or space out a freehub? Obviously the SS would be nice but I am trying to keep things on budget. I could get an xt disc setup with Rhyno Lite XL's from Universal for only $160. My other option looks like using a Surly or Novatech rear hub laced to RL's with a Deore disc up front. The wheels will be going on a Chameleon so I hav horiz. dropouts adn would therefore have to put a new axle in the XT's to have a bolt on rear. Stil, I think I'd save about $70 over the Surly/Deore/Rhyno Lites.

Which way would you guys go? The XT's give me the flexibility of putting a cassette on (gasp) should I ever need it and also have disc capability if I want to run it on the Blizzard. The Novatech hub also has disc setup but SS specific, the Surly clearly is what it is. OK, the floor is open, please help me out since I have hit decision critical mass. Any more choices and my brain starts melting!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

formerly Giantxc

Here you go.

Follow this link: http://www.webcyclery.com/.docs/prod...t_details.html

It'll save you $40 over the XT's and you'll have a better wheel IMHO (but I'm not a fan of Shimano hubs).

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    Im putting together a new bike (or will be very shortly) and was wondering if I should put a SS specific rear wheel on it or space out a freehub? Obviously the SS would be nice but I am trying to keep things on budget. I could get an xt disc setup with Rhyno Lite XL's from Universal for only $160. My other option looks like using a Surly or Novatech rear hub laced to RL's with a Deore disc up front. The wheels will be going on a Chameleon so I hav horiz. dropouts adn would therefore have to put a new axle in the XT's to have a bolt on rear. Stil, I think I'd save about $70 over the Surly/Deore/Rhyno Lites.

Which way would you guys go? The XT's give me the flexibility of putting a cassette on (gasp) should I ever need it and also have disc capability if I want to run it on the Blizzard. The Novatech hub also has disc setup but SS specific, the Surly clearly is what it is. OK, the floor is open, please help me out since I have hit decision critical mass. Any more choices and my brain starts melting!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    I could get an xt disc setup with Rhyno Lite XL's from Universal for only $160.
    that's what i'll be running on my new chameleon (when i get the fork issue resolved). xt disc hubs and rhynolite xl's from jenson... or was it pricepoint? eh, whatevah.

i think that quick releases will be fine, though, because the horizontal drops on the '04s have little slidey things that are like built in chain tensioners. in order to snug up the wheel, you loosen the bolts on either side and slide the tugs back, and then bolt them in place. then you put your wheel in, and tighten the QR.

at least that's how it looks to me; i quit building it once i realized my steerer was to short on the fork. and i'm lazy. and have other bikes that work just fine and ride them often.

~chris
    Last edited by eSSq; 03-08-2004 at 01:29 PM. Reason: because i suck at spellionging, sometimes. ;-)

Lazy People Suck
    I would go with a cassette hub before any freewheel hub, just for the sake of flexibility. Are you sure that you want to go with the Rhyno XLs? I know that you do some urban with the bike, but you are not heavy or hard on your stuff. You know I am a hopeless weight weenie, but those things are tanks. You can also find cheap XT disc wheels with Mavic 223s or Sun DS1s that would be much more friendly going uphill.

I have some Crossmaxes coming for my Merlin, so I may be able to hook you up with an XT disc wheelset with Velocity VXC rims, black butted 14/15 spokes and alloy nipples built by Mike Garcia for a reasonable price if you wish.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    I would go with a cassette hub before any freewheel hub, just for the sake of flexibility. Are you sure that you want to go with the Rhyno XLs? I know that you do some urban with the bike, but you are not heavy or hard on your stuff. You know I am a hopeless weight weenie, but those things are tanks. You can also find cheap XT disc wheels with Mavic 223s or Sun DS1s that would be much more friendly going uphill.

I have some Crossmaxes coming for my Merlin, so I may be able to hook you up with an XT disc wheelset with Velocity VXC rims, black butted 14/15 spokes and alloy nipples built by Mike Garcia for a reasonable price if you wish.
    Email me and let me know what you're thinking on the wheels Jeff. You'd be surprised at what I've put my wheel sthrough this winter. I'm not that bad on stuff (when I know what Im doing). Since I have been riding park, my wheels have been taking a beatin! I do agree though, the cassette gives a lot of flexibility but the SS wheel takes out the dish and I guess I thought it would be stronger.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!